Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2017 1:47:32 PM EDT
Since the SAFE act passed, I built two fixed magazine lowers, so that I could throw any of my 16"+ uppers on them when I go to my property in NY to target shoot.   I saw the new Hera CQR featureless stock, and decided that it looks like the ergonomics are good enough, and it doesn't look butt ugly so it inspired me to build a zero feature rifle for my visits so that I can have a detachable mag.

Hera CQR at Stag

So my question to my NY friends.  Where's a good place to find a 16" or 18" stainless barrel with a target crown, that's not an overly heavy bull profile?  Or would I be better off just getting an 18" and chopping the threads?   Also has anyone gone the route of just blind pinning/ welding a thread protector on?

ETA:  I'm looking for somewhat of a midprice barrel.  Don't want junk, but also don't want to spend a fortune on a barrel that I'm not going to use at home.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Thread protector.  I attached mine with permanent loctite.  It's a smooth one, so it's not as obvious as one with knurls or slots in it.  As far as other fuddtures instead of a pistol grip, I've done the AR Spur with a Patrick Henry trigger guard:

It worked out pretty well on a couple rifles.  Used it with an A2 stock.  I also mounted a rail over the bayo lug, attached with the same loctite so they couldn't be removed easily.  This is all a NYS regulation, not federal, so I'm just doing my "best".
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't want to get caught with a threaded barrel with a loctited thread protector. You do what you want but I wouldn't put that in the "good advice" category
View Quote

if the Thread Protector has a blind pin in it, like with a Brake for 16" i wouldn't hesitate.  But with just epoxy or loctite, i would be cautious.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thread protector.  I attached mine with permanent loctite.  It's a smooth one, so it's not as obvious as one with knurls or slots in it.  As far as other fuddtures instead of a pistol grip, I've done the AR Spur with a Patrick Henry trigger guard:

http://i62.tinypic.com/rc22dg.jpg
It worked out pretty well on a couple rifles.  Used it with an A2 stock.  I also mounted a rail over the bayo lug, attached with the same loctite so they couldn't be removed easily.  This is all a NYS regulation, not federal, so I'm just doing my "best".
View Quote

Thanks, I tried the Spur grip, but didn't like the ergonomics.  I never saw that trigger guard before though it looks like it would work good by giving your middle finger a place to rest.    I think I'm going to go the attached thread protector route, but will blind pin it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 2:01:12 AM EDT
[#5]
That actually looks pretty cool, hadn't heard of it yet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That actually looks pretty cool, hadn't heard of it yet.
View Quote

It's been out for awhile as a thumb hole stock.  When I made this thread was the first time I saw the zero feature version.  It's still preorder.  I placed an order with stag, I'll let you know how it is when it arrives.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wouldn't want to get caught with a threaded barrel with a loctited thread protector. You do what you want but I wouldn't put that in the "good advice" category
View Quote
Never said I gave "good" advice. 
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So my question to my NY friends.  Where's a good place to find a 16" or 18" stainless barrel with a target crown, that's not an overly heavy bull profile?  Or would I be better off just getting an 18" and chopping the threads?   Also has anyone gone the route of just blind pinning/ welding a thread protector on?

ETA:  I'm looking for somewhat of a midprice barrel.  Don't want junk, but also don't want to spend a fortune on a barrel that I'm not going to use at home.
View Quote

Not sure what you consider "midprice" for a barrel.  Black Hole Weaponry has a very good reputation and they have a make-to-order system at Columbia River Arms (same company, but CRA is the main website and also the brand used for their cheaper, "production" barrels.)  If you go to:

http://columbiariverarms.com/configure-your-custom-barrel/configure-your-2235-56/

and select your length/twist, you can then choose "Build Your Own" on the next page.  Target Crown (TC) is one of their choices under Threading.  Currently, an un-fluted 16" barrel in any profile is $295, but they are going to have a 20% off Shot Show discount starting on the 17th, making them about $250.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Can someone please explain the muzzlebreak issue to me, I was under the impression that if you have a detachable magazine then you couldnt have any of the other features but both of my local gander mtns and herb phillipsons have AR's with the thornsden stock, detachable magazines and birdcage muzzlebreaks sitting right on the shelves for sale which leaves me confused because i thought you could have zero features if the magazine was detachable
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can someone please explain the muzzlebreak issue to me, I was under the impression that if you have a detachable magazine then you couldnt have any of the other features but both of my local gander mtns and herb phillipsons have AR's with the thornsden stock, detachable magazines and birdcage muzzlebreaks sitting right on the shelves for sale which leaves me confused because i thought you could have zero features if the magazine was detachable
View Quote

i doubt it, they may have a DSI rifle that's full featured but fixed mag and a featurless rifle, but i would bet a pmag that they don't have a featurless detachable mag rifle with a brake on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top