Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2016 1:51:28 AM EDT
Any info on the new SAFE act pistol permit renewal?  The 5 year clause that was signed into law from dopes that couldn't find their ass with 2 hands.

Local news did a story about it the other night.  Just wondering if there were any truths out there or if there were mostly rumors still.

Local gun shops say they have absolutely no input from NYSP that all checks are supposed to go through and the NYSP will send out a mailing to be completed online or by mail at a later date.  

Thanks
S
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 3:53:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, I forgot all about this!

I think they are all going to come due at once, roughly a little over a year from now, right?
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 5:39:41 AM EDT
[#2]
My local sheriff and pp office said do not use any NYS websites to register. They would handle everything locally. Seems like it's gonna be a shitshow.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My local sheriff and pp office said do not use any NYS websites to register. They would handle everything locally. Seems like it's gonna be a shitshow.
View Quote
It started a while back already, right after unSAFE passed, when the state sent out letters to PP holders using the county emblems on the letters making the licensees think it was from and/or endorsed by their county.  A lot of upstate counties got very upset at that.

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It started a while back already, right after unSAFE passed, when the state sent out letters to PP holders using the county emblems on the letters making the licensees think it was from and/or endorsed by their county.  A lot of upstate counties got very upset at that.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of counties declared they weren't going to do it, it was NYSP job and the county doesn't want to look like they are responsible for the mess, nor pick up the pieces:

http://www.mpnnow.com/news/20161113/aiming-for-answers-safe-acts-pistol-permit-recertification-process-remains-unclear
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't heard of that. Must have been a just north of NYC county thing.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I still haven't found the expiration date on mine.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I still haven't found the expiration date on mine.  
View Quote

valid till revoked
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I got an email from Jim Sewerd today stating that the NYSP website is now live. Here's a bit more info.
https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/james-l-seward/pistol-license-recertification-website-now-available
SMH
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Print the paper form. Put it in the mail on January 31, 2018.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#11]
The web site is pretty straight forward and seems  easy enough to use but in addition to "certifying" that you still have a Handgun Licenses, you have to list all the handguns you have;
Now, it seems to me that the State is amassing a data-base of exactly who has what....think back to all the bitching we/I did about registering our evil MSR's, and how the State would have a consolidated list of what you have.  Now with this recertification you're to list all the handguns (including frames/receivers) by manufacturer, model, caliber (by number only 22, 38, 9, etc. No "mm" or "acp" etc.) ostensibly that you have.
Near as I can figure, the State's data-base and records are almost completely fucked, and to get things in-fucked, they're going to have to get everybody to spell out what they have and write off the rest all in preparation to take it over from the Counties.
I expect a great deal of pissing & moaning, but in the end we'll quietly comply.  

Now if they didn't know you had a particular handgun is this amnesty to now list it?
Will these number be cross referenced against lost/stolen/destroyed?
What if you no-longer have a pistol on your Licenses, are they going to investigate as to what happened to it?  (NO WHERE does it say "Permit" and yes words have meaning)
The State's threat is failure to comply will result in revocation by the State, and to be processed by the County: I wonder how that's going to play out with folks like retirees down in FL that don't find out about it or other that fall through the cracks.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What do you think happens if you and a buddy have the same gun on both your permits?
View Quote

There's a box for "cross registered"
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The web site is pretty straight forward and seems  easy enough to use but in addition to "certifying" that you still have a Handgun Licenses, you have to list all the handguns you have;
Now, it seems to me that the State is amassing a data-base of exactly who has what....think back to all the bitching we/I did about registering our evil MSR's, and how the State would have a consolidated list of what you have.  Now with this recertification you're to list all the handguns (including frames/receivers) by manufacturer, model, caliber (by number only 22, 38, 9, etc. No "mm" or "acp" etc.) ostensibly that you have.
Near as I can figure, the State's data-base and records are almost completely fucked, and to get things in-fucked, they're going to have to get everybody to spell out what they have and write off the rest all in preparation to take it over from the Counties.
I expect a great deal of pissing & moaning, but in the end we'll quietly comply.  

Now if they didn't know you had a particular handgun is this amnesty to now list it?
Will these number be cross referenced against lost/stolen/destroyed?
What if you no-longer have a pistol on your Licenses, are they going to investigate as to what happened to it?  (NO WHERE does it say "Permit" and yes words have meaning)
The State's threat is failure to comply will result in revocation by the State, and to be processed by the County: I wonder how that's going to play out with folks like retirees down in FL that don't find out about it or other that fall through the cracks.  
View Quote

Fuck that.  Mass non-compliance.  Make everyone "criminals".  Enough of this shit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What do you think happens if you and a buddy have the same gun on both your permits?
View Quote

Yet another unanswerable question....somehow I think eventually someone in Law Enforcement would come to investigate.
"SO, he's is/was my partner, you got a problem with that?"    Anymore the things most of us would NEVER say are suddenly socially acceptable.
As I have guns in other States, I believe others do too: what about them? What happens if they're omitted (forgotten, inaccessible, etc.)
Somehow I see our best intentions to stay within the Law being shoved up our asses the same way the Law was in the first place.  
41Mag:  it's tough to do what's right, and we know that its a bunch of bullshit and should be graced with the same rejection as AW registration was, but then what?  
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Did the state have a database of what everyone had registered before this or was that information only with each county?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Did the state have a database of what everyone had registered before this or was that information only with each county?
View Quote
Good question. I'd think the counties didn't share this information with the state before. Hence the NYSP handling this now.
So what happens when one moves to another county  now?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Wait until Jan 31st 2018 and mail in the form. If we don't make it painful for them to do this, they will just pass another law in a few years making us recertify every year...or every month.

MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#21]
From the Oswego County Clerks Office facebook page:

County Clerk's and pistol permit licensing officials across the state today are receiving a letter from New York State Police outlining the process for pistol permit re-certification. Today (1/3/2017), State Police will begin mailing a letter (see below) to pistol permit holders whose permits were issued prior to 1/15/2013. These permit holders have until 1/31/2018 to re-certify their pistol permit with New York State Police.

Pistol Permits issued on or after 1/15/2013 must also re-certify within five years of the permits issuance - THIS IS NEW INFORMATION. For example, if your permit was issued on 1/16/13, you must submit your information for re-certification by 1/16/18. And so on, for all permits issued after 1/15/2013.

The website for re-certification is live - https://www.troopers.ny.gov/Firearms/ - there is a link below to the FAQ page

At first glance, we found a few things confusing, such as in the re-certification form it asks you for your "DMV Client ID," otherwise known as your drivers license number. You are also asked, "Are you requesting to have information concerning your firearms license re-certification exempt from public record?" This is a separate request, to my knowledge, from the opt-out forms that were filed with our office regarding public disclosure of pistol permits. If you select "YES" indicating that you want your re-certification exempt from disclosure, you then must select a reason for that exemption. This is very similar to the form many permit holders filled out with my office previously, and I would encourage all to fill this section out fully once again to protect your privacy.

Once you have filled in the information, including all pistols registered to you on your license, you then verify your submission and submit the document for re-certification. The online form and the hard copy are similar. If you submit the form online, you are then presented with a screen you can print for your records. If you supply State Police with an email address, you will receive an email notifying you that your application for re-certification was received.

My goal and the goal of the Oswego County Clerk's office is to answer as many questions as we can about this process as we move forward. The letter that pistol permit holders will receive is attached below as well as the hard copy re-certification form for your reference. As more information becomes available I will share it here, so please continue to share, like, and follow this page.

- Michael C. Backus, Oswego County Clerk
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I got an email from Jim Sewerd today stating that the NYSP website is now live. Here's a bit more info.
https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/james-l-seward/pistol-license-recertification-website-now-available
SMH
View Quote

I found it particularly galling that in yesterdays email and his previous one on this issue, Seward continues to insist that its not a renewal. I replied to both emails with a comment that if you don't comply with the "certification" directive, what happens to your permit? Yup, it's just a  "renewal" using another name...don't tell us otherwise....
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I give it 2 years until they start charging for the renewal...then charging for every gun you want to renew.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wait until Jan 31st 2018 and mail in the form. If we don't make it painful for them to do this, they will just pass another law in a few years making us recertify every year...or every month.

MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM.
View Quote

Mail it return receipt requested, make them sign for each one. Imagine a few thousand forms showing up the same day all needing a signature, it would take a few days just to sign for them all.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not even gonna think about doing anything for a year.  I guess I can claim ignorance like every elected douchebag does.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I cant even imagine how many people have no idea they are going to have to do this. I have talked to people as recently as this fall that think their 10/22 isn't included in the SAFE act because "it's only a 22 for christs sake". If 10% of pistol permit holders "recertify" on time I would be surprised.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Fuck that.  Mass non-compliance.  Make everyone "criminals".  Enough of this shit.
View Quote

Don't be ridiculous. We all already complied when we applied for the PP and registered all of our handguns. If you don't recertify they will revoke your permit and the cops(who are still somehow on our side) will show up to take your guns.

This isn't like the assault weapon thing where no one knew who had them and people wanted to keep it that way.

There is no choice but to comply, other than move or surrender your pistols. Well, there's also hole up and fight confiscation. I'll get the popcorn.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As far as I know only the county knew the guns, the state has a list of names and addresses 
View Quote

I assume the state has all of the information that was obtained under the COBIS program.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I assume the state has all of the information that was obtained under the COBIS program.
View Quote

They do and are supposed to  have a definitive list of the Handguns you have.  When a Dealer receives or disposes of a Handgun, they are required to fill out and submit a "P-12" disposition form. the SP are to enter that into their system. Up to the introduction of in-SAFE if you amended your Licenses with another Licensee, there would be no way for the State to know; the County would have a record of the amendment, but not necessarily the State...ask any Trooper that's been on the job long enough to have had to check and he'll tell you its not unusual to have one come back "no record".  
As for entry: the P-12 records: they are three or more years behind in the entry of those forms....been that way for years too.

I suspect the State included this little spotted mushroom under the guise of weeding out the undesirables along with the dead, those no longer residing in the State, etc. but nothing in Government is without planning or as it seems.
Albany has talked for years of taking control of the Handgun Licensing system from the Counties, and this would be just the necessary nugget to implement it: a self entered data base with all personal information and an accurate list of exactly the pistols they have.
Go with it where you may, I know where my nefarious mind has been.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#30]
This is really just a way for the NYSP to clean up their mess...they have been unable to keep proper records of pistol permits for decades...and now they want us to do the work for them...for free.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There's a box for "cross registered"
View Quote

So what does one do if he has his buddy's  pistols on his permit and his buddy passed away and never actually passed along said pistols?
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#32]
From their website:

Q: What information is required to complete the recertification?

A: Information such as name, address, date of birth, New York State Driver License or Non-Driver Identification number, and an inventory of your licensed pistols and revolvers will be required. Most of the information needed for recertification can be found on your county issued pistol / revolver license. You will need to have a New York State Driver License or Non-Driver Identification Card in order to process your recertification.

BUT... You don't need a .gov ID to vote!
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So what does one do if he has his buddy's  pistols on his permit and his buddy passed away and never actually passed along said pistols?
View Quote

I guess the survivor would have a good claim to those handguns when the estate is settled

Seward replied to my email with what I assume is a canned response:

"A renewal would involve new fingerprints, photos, and fees.  This is an update of your current information.

As I noted, I voted against it.

Jim"
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I suppose a sit down interview of someone representing the NYSP division handling this would be in order. Anytime you have undertakings of this proportion people have questions and issues that are not so cut and dryed, yet no where are there really any answers. Lots of things have "happened" in the last century and how many times have we read about someone coming into posession of a handgun that isn't on anyones licenses and what to do about it?
There's a whole lot more to this and while I'm planning in giving NY the big fuck you, I still have to interact in this State and don't want to be hamstrung over not crossing the T' and dotting the I's.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
From their website:

Q: What information is required to complete the recertification?

A: Information such as name, address, date of birth, New York State Driver License or Non-Driver Identification number, and an inventory of your licensed pistols and revolvers will be required. Most of the information needed for recertification can be found on your county issued pistol / revolver license. You will need to have a New York State Driver License or Non-Driver Identification Card in order to process your recertification.

BUT... You don't need a .gov ID to vote!
View Quote

What if you have a NYS non resident permit, how are you supposed to recertify if you don't have a NYS drivers lic or ID card? Do I have to list all the pistols I bought on my NC concealed permit ?
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What if you have a NYS non resident permit, how are you supposed to recertify if you don't have a NYS drivers lic or ID card? Do I have to list all the pistols I bought on my NC concealed permit ?
View Quote

The whole non-resident permit thing is so new of an issue that the NYSP probably never even considered it.
If the website wont accept out of state client IDs, I  would send them a paper copy of the form next January with your NC client ID and ( NC ) in parenthesis. Let them figure it out. They can run your NC client ID the same as any NY ID number
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#38]
So glad I took the opportunity to vacate New York in 2016. Could not possibly have put up with more garbage anymore. I suggest all gun owners do the same! I understand some people are tied down with jobs or family but every one else has no excuse
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

They shouldn't be in New York, no?
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know as well as I do that will never happen. People are already getting in line to renew.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Best idea so far is to have everyone mail them on Jan 31 2018.  This will create another HUGE backlog that they will have to deal with and will probably take 5 years to clear that up. 
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
As far as I know only the county knew the guns, the state has a list of names and addresses 
View Quote

nope, but many counties' ability to correctly keep records are very poor. That and the Binghamton shooting where the bad guy had a permit with absolutely no correct information on it led us to this crap.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I agree county has issues keeping track.. When i was in Dutchess county and switched over to credit card permit.. I had to go through the pistol bureau and the lady there went through each one of my original permit and said nope i don't have one that any more asked me were it was disposed.. Lucky i only had two places were i would trade weapons in Thruway and a place in Beacon which is no longer in business.   I was able to clean up my permit.

I wondering also about out of state people that still have own houses in NYS since i still have my permit on me.

if there is push back about still keeping it ill sue that useless one called the NYS AG.  

I plan on keeping it until i sell my house up there.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Best idea so far is to have everyone mail them on Jan 31 2018.  This will create another HUGE backlog that they will have to deal with and will probably take 5 years to clear that up. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Do we have to submit by then or they have to receive it by then?

State Police will begin mailing a letter (see below) to pistol permit holders whose permits were issued prior to 1/15/2013. These permit holders have until 1/31/2018 to re-certify their pistol permit with New York State Police.

I'd rather everybody just said fuck off and nobody "recertified". I think over whelming noncompliance would send a pretty strong message that we're not putting up with any more bullshit. I doubt they'd send cops door to door to confiscate all these newly unregistered guns. They'd probably do nothing and just pick them off individually as they deal with people on complaints or stops etc.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'd rather everybody just said fuck off and nobody "recertified". I think over whelming noncompliance would send a pretty strong message that we're not putting up with any more bullshit. I doubt they'd send cops door to door to confiscate all these newly unregistered guns. They'd probably do nothing and just pick them off individually as they deal with people on complaints or stops etc.
View Quote

Maybe not but if you get stopped for a traffic violation you can bet it will end with a stay behind bars.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

They have more than names and addresses. Hell, there was a website that published just the names on one list and the names and addresses on the second, newer list for every permit holder in New York. 2012 or 2013 if I remember correctly. 776,145 names on the "old" list. 312,461 on the "new" list. 1,088,606 combined. I still have the data in a spreadsheet somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#47]
With all this data, maybe they can do a study of how many PP owners have left the state.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Maybe not but if you get stopped for a traffic violation you can bet it will end with a stay behind bars.
View Quote

That's what I meant. I think they know going door to door asking for peoples guns is not in their best interests
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#49]
My wife just got the letter. Our pistols are on both of our licenses.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They have more than names and addresses. Hell, there was a website that published just the names on one list and the names and addresses on the second, newer list for every permit holder in New York. 2012 or 2013 if I remember correctly. 776,145 names on the "old" list. 312,461 on the "new" list. 1,088,606 combined. I still have the data in a spreadsheet somewhere.
View Quote

Not being a mathematician I rely on estimations: Even with a staff of 100 entering a thousand into the system every work day, you're still looking at three years to get the "old list" entered.  
The entire thing is an ill-though, feel-good idea that'll turn into a multi-million dollar cluster fuck netting minimalistic and arbitrary results that won't be realized for at least half a decade.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top