Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2016 9:22:17 AM EDT
What a fine time to schedule a vacation to NYC!  

I do not want to go unarmed, but I don't want to end up a felon either.  I have an old (close to 100 years old) rabbit eared shotgun that had been cut to 18.1".  I am thinking of taking it and a bandleer of low power buckshot.  

If I need to use it and it gets confiscated it will be a small price to pay for my family's safety.  

Am I going to be breaking any NY or NYC laws by having a double barrel shotgun with me?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#1]
If you plan to have it on you, plan to have it taken and get tossed. If you're going, get a flak jacket and an under 3" knife that stays hidden.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you plan to have it on you, plan to have it taken and get tossed. If you're going, get a flak jacket and an under 3" knife that stays hidden.
View Quote

Thanks, I'm not going to carry it around, just have it in the vehicle for the trip and keep it in the hotel room in a suit case.  We don't let room cleaning service in our room when we stay at hotels, my wife thinks they just spread germs around.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks, I'm not going to carry it around, just have it in the vehicle for the trip and keep it in the hotel room in a suit case.  We don't let room cleaning service in our room when we stay at hotels, my wife thinks they just spread germs around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind, if you get caught with it inside the five Burroughs, you are going to go to jail.  It wont be a simple confiscation and you get to go home.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Keep in mind, if you get caught with it inside the five Burroughs, you are going to go to jail.  It wont be a simple confiscation and you get to go home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugh, ok that's the answer I was looking for.  I'll just leave it at home and hope our overlords can protect us.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah, unregistered firearm is definite tombs (city detention center in Manhattan) material.  Small knife is better as stated above.

ETA, great way to visit the real "NYC underground", jk
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Technically, travelers are allowed to have long guns, even so called "Assault Weapons," in NYC, without a NYC long gun license...for 24 hours only.

Would you still get arrested if caught? Yes. Could you argue that you just brought the gun into the city less than 24 hours ago? Yes.

Has to stay locked up and unloaded though.

ETA: I am not a lawyer, but that is how NYC admin code reads.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Technically, travelers are allowed to have long guns, even so called "Assault Weapons," in NYC, without a NYC long gun license...for 24 hours only.

Would you still get arrested if caught? Yes. Could you argue that you just brought the gun into the city less than 24 hours ago? Yes.

Has to stay locked up and unloaded though.

ETA: I am not a lawyer, but that is how NYC admin code reads.
View Quote

It would be hard to argue 24 hrs when we have hotel reservations for 4 days.  

I am not a fan of this vacation, but my wife and teenage daughters wanted to visit NYC.  We are seeing Adele on Monday night at MSG, The Lion King on Tuesday and seeing the regular Manhattan sites the rest of the week.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#8]
You will be just fine without it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd say leave it at home. NYC is not as dangerous as some people make it out to be in other parts of the country. You're going to be either taking taxis or the train to get around so a shotgun is not going to do you any good anyways. Believe me, you're not going to be driving around to get to those shows, finding parking in the city is too much of hassle and you end up going into a parking garage where you get charged $20-$60 for a couple of hours. Cheaper to take a taxi, if you don't like the subways.
Also, you're probably going to go to the Statue of Liberty, don't even take a knife on that trip, you have to go through so much security its almost like going to an airport.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Threads like these seem to come up about bi-weekly and they always crack me up.  I have no idea what they envision when they think of NYC.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Best bet is to put a pressure cooker in a backpack, with some tannerite, and leave your headphone wires hanging out of it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Best bet is to put a pressure cooker in a backpack, with some tannerite, and leave your headphone wires hanging out of it.
View Quote

Think you may skip the tombs with that one and head straight to camp fed or even club GiTmo.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'd say leave it at home. NYC is not as dangerous as some people make it out to be in other parts of the country.
View Quote
The truth.  The reputation is far worse than the reality.   I have never felt the need to be armed going into the city, even at it worst in the 1970's when I was a teen.  All I could carry anyhow would be a knife as I refuse to go through the cost and time to get a premises only permit from Nassau County.  Plus even if I could get a NYS full carry (Nassau DOES NOT issue them to anyone other than retired PD), it would not be legal in NYC.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, for us it didn't even cross our minds when we were going into Manhattan from Nassau County to carry a knife!

By the way, they're doing random searches at some train stations so be careful what you decide to carry around.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.

Threads like these seem to come up about bi-weekly and they always crack me up.  I have no idea what they envision when they think of NYC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

You're probably right, but those of us who live in gun liberal states (in the true sense of the word) get so used to carry a firearm everywhere we go that we feel naked without one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yup, pay attention to your surroundings and you will be fine.  Most crime is in the low income neighborhoods.  Stay out of the ghetto, don't try to score drug deals or pick up hookers and you have nothing to worry about other than crazy cab drivers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I would get a divorce first, but that's just me. Guns don't enter into it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The truth.  The reputation is far worse than the reality.   I have never felt the need to be armed going into the city, even at it worst in the 1970's when I was a teen.  All I could carry anyhow would be a knife as I refuse to go through the cost and time to get a premises only permit from Nassau County.  Plus even if I could get a NYS full carry (Nassau DOES NOT issue them to anyone other than retired PD), it would not be legal in NYC.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd say leave it at home. NYC is not as dangerous as some people make it out to be in other parts of the country.

Do you even PL400 bro?

But seriously, I know you know that a "target/hunting" pistol permit is actually a full carry permit. It is not a crime to carry with a "restricted" permit. But yes, if your judge finds out, they could revoke your permit.

Unless Nassau actually only issues premise permits? In which case, you aren't even allowed to hunt or target shoot with your handguns.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do you even PL400 bro?

But seriously, you do know that a "target/hunting" pistol permit is actually a full carry permit right? It is not a crime to carry with a "restricted" permit.

Unless Nassau actually only issues premise permits? In which case, you aren't even allowed to hunt or target shoot with your handguns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even PL400 bro?

But seriously, you do know that a "target/hunting" pistol permit is actually a full carry permit right? It is not a crime to carry with a "restricted" permit.

You are correct it's NOT a crime but will be reported to the pistol licensing devision as "carrying out of cause" and the net effect is that you will lose your license and therefore your pistols.  ALWAYS have a range bag in the car and say you are going to the range....
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#21]
just don't visit nyc

every day as I walked to my office near Times Square I wondered why anyone would visit NYC.

go some place nice with some sun, pools/beaches and some booze.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
just don't visit nyc

every day as I walked to my office near Times Square I wondered why anyone would visit NYC.

View Quote

I fended off a trip to NYC for a long time, but then my wife bought tickets for Adele at MSG and that sealed my fate.  I'd rather head out west and see some of the national parks.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
just don't visit nyc

View Quote

NYC is glorified in a great number of movies and television shows every year. I assume that makes it look quite appealing to those in other states who do not know any better.

I certainly agree with the "just don't" group, though I understand your dilemma OP. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always get a kick out of walking on 47th between 5th and 6th. Probably the highest percentage of CCW in the country. And a very, very low violent crime rate. If you did not need CCW to be safe, why would they be spending $20k to get one?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Warning we are all evil crazed killers who snap if you make eye contact, honestly the rudest people are the tourists.   If you are staying in Manhattan or the immediate area surrounding it, no problems.   The lower west side along the Hudson is a great place to go for a walk during the evening.  Stay away from tourist trap restaurants, they are expensive and have shit food.  Have a good time!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#26]
if you bring it, you'll have to face the consequences if you use it.

isnt a unregistered/unlicensed firearm only a  misdemeanor ticket in NYC?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#27]
You will meet all sorts of people trying to get you to give them cash. They will threaten to vote for Trump unless you give them a dollar, tell tales of woe, allow you to photograph their weirdness, collect money for any number of probably fake charities, entertain you with acrobatics, etc. You are generally unlikely to be robbed in a tourist area unless you are wasted and/or attempting an illegal transaction. Honestly, if you carry no more than $20 cash, your losses will be limited to $20.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top