Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2016 1:36:51 PM EDT
Looking for info on good Gun rights Lawyers in upstate NY...

https://www.fundedjustice.com/en/projects/32147-Jim-Jones-Defense-Fund

He was on his way to NH from Florida...
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#1]
There has to be more details than this. This is plainly covered by FOPA if he was traveling with everything in a locked up and inaccessible manner, which he no doubt would have known about, being in the firearms industry.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
NYSP observes FOPA, more to the story. Hell, I just took a FOPA call an hour ago.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NYSP observes FOPA, more to the story. Hell, I just took a FOPA call an hour ago.
View Quote

Could it be that he was at a rest stop? I think rest stops prohibit firearms right? Isn't that in NYS law? Or is that BS? I remember a thread a while back mentioning how NY law prohibits guns in thruway rest stops.

Either way, his arrest sounds pretty stupid...Hope he gets off and sues the shit out of whoever arrested him wrongly.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Could it be that he was at a rest stop? I think rest stops prohibit firearms right? Isn't that in NYS law? Or is that BS? I remember a thread a while back mentioning how NY law prohibits guns in thruway rest stops.

Either way, his arrest sounds pretty stupid...Hope he gets off and sues the shit out of whoever arrested him wrongly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, no, no read the rule on it. It prohibits loaded weapons at rest stops. So just the same as driving down the road in NY state, no difference. And aren't firearms pistols in NY, so no pistols at any rest stops, you would need to leave your CCW at the side of the highway before you take the off ramp?

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Looking for info on good Gun rights Lawyers in upstate NY...

https://www.fundedjustice.com/en/projects/32147-Jim-Jones-Defense-Fund

He was on his way to NH from Florida...
View Quote
The 5k is only going to get you the consultation fee.  Then the real money comes into play.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I would suggest Paloma Campana in Webster...

She was one of the lawyers involved with the FOIA lawsuit against Cumhole to get registration number released, and has been working against SAFE from the beginning.

Have had several long conversations with her, she seems great.

She was on my speed dial before I got out of there....
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There has to be more details than this. This is plainly covered by FOPA if he was traveling with everything in a locked up and inaccessible manner, which he no doubt would have known about, being in the firearms industry.
View Quote

I don't know the details...  but was told second hand this should have been FOPA
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Erm, no they don't...Maybe they used to but, not anymore.

I instruct in PA and CT - Make the I-84 drive frequently from CT --> Milford PA.

I've been told POINT BLANK by a NYSP that FOPA will not be observed if I bring my AR's through NY...On more than one occasion...Thus why I refuse to instruct in NY...Not worth it.

---

Apparently James was taking a break at a rest stop which, abides by FOPA considering he is temporarily resting while passing through.

I find this ironic considering what half the LEOs in America carry...
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#11]
What about Tresmond?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#12]
There is much erroneous information in the thread which has lead many to a false conclusion. This is NOT the case to be used as an example of LE overreach.  Cannot go into detail due to pending litigation but, again, this is NOT the case.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There is much erroneous information in the thread which has lead many to a false conclusion. This is NOT the case to be used as an example of LE overreach.  Cannot go into detail due to pending litigation but, again, this is NOT the case.
View Quote

Why is it not to be used as a violation of FOPA?  

What facts do you know of?

It is important to note, the Jim Jones here is not the rapper who has had multiple interactions with police...

The arrest isn't even listed on the NYSP regional log: https://www.nyspnews.com/section_display.cfm?section_id=27&start_row=66

Is it possible for you to know and tell us the exact charges the guy is being charged with?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, you are saying it was a consent search or incident to a lawful arrest?  Inquiring legal minds need to know.

IM or call me offline if you can share, please.

btw off topic, my Cousins boy made BCI in Troop K.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It is important to note, the Jim Jones here is not the rapper who has had multiple interactions with police...

The arrest isn't even listed on the NYSP regional log: https://www.nyspnews.com/section_display.cfm?section_id=27&start_row=66

Is it possible for you to know and tell us the exact charges the guy is being charged with?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't disclose the information on a public forum, it would be prejudicial to the defendant.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can't disclose the information on a public forum, it would be prejudicial to the defendant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To even list the charges of which he is being charged with? I tried searching for anything in the news related to this arrest but I haven't found anything.  Have you seen anything? If so, do you consider listing a news article prejudicial too?  

Would you be able to answer a yes or no question to whether there is something more than just possession of firearms related charges?  Non firearms related charges?   I appreciate your sensitivity to prejudice towards the defendant.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#17]
This is New York people.

We don't need any top secret material to know what that means.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Wait for the facts to come out before jumping to conclusions and grabbing your pitchforks.  We loudly complain about the media and BLM jumping to conclusions, we are better than that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted: we are better than that.
View Quote

Speak for yourself. :)

Then again, this isn't the General Discussion section.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Unless this guy was waving his rifles or pistols around in the air popping off rounds, NFA items of not, stored improperly, I dont care. He should not still be in jail for any firearms charges.  Are you sure he didnt have any drugs on him?  I mean he is still in the lock up since the 4th of july. Something is crazy here.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Unless this guy was waving his rifles or pistols around in the air popping off rounds, NFA items of not, stored improperly, I dont care. He should not still be in jail for any firearms charges.  Are you sure he didnt have any drugs on him?  I mean he is still in the lock up since the 4th of july. Something is crazy here.
View Quote

I have heard nothing first hand... I have not heard the charges against him - I cannot even find his arrest report in a police log...  All I know is what was listed on the fundraising page.  I was hoping Natty_Bumppo would give some more info since he seems to know more than what was released.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have heard nothing first hand... I have not heard the charges against him - I cannot even find his arrest report in a police log...  All I know is what was listed on the fundraising page.  I was hoping Natty_Bumppo would give some more info since he seems to know more than what was released.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LMAO, the police are not going to help and give you ALL the info here. Yes they will find out for themselves, but not tell anyone else. The only way to find out would be to visit him in the lockup.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
LMAO, the police are not going to help and give you ALL the info here. Yes they will find out for themselves, but not tell anyone else. The only way to find out would be to visit him in the lockup.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not asking for
all
the info.  I was only asking for a list of charges, or an arrest report.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Have you guys been getting the updates on this?

Hi,

This is just to let you know that Nick Martin posted a new update on Jim Jones Defense Fund's Update page:

Yesterday and today I spoke to Jim again. He is off lockdown early thankfully. He spoke to his attorney last night and they are seeking new bail terms. This is key in his defense as it is much easier to fight this from the outside. More info from the attorney tomorrow when he meets with jim again. Jim would like all of you to know that he deeply appreciates your efforts as he only just now found out about this fund raiser. He would also like you to know that due to the felony diet he has lost a significant amount of weight. That when he sees you next he will be bald as he shaved his head to the heat in the jail, and that he will be down to 225 lbs from 295 lbs. He looks like the guy who blew his head off in Full Metal Jacket. His words...not mine. He would also like to thank Cindy Tello, her family, his family and friends for the first $5000 to retain Lee Greenstein. It means the world to him and he cannot thank you enough. Finally, some headway, and some actual info from the man himself. There are so many people he wanted to thank that naming names would be impossible. Although I did try to name names of all of you that came out of the woodwork to help him. From the $10 donations to the $500 and you know who you are. One day he will be able to see this and knowing him, personally reach out to thank you all. Lastly, the funds will be available in two days. I am now coordinating with jim directly as to where to put the money to ensure he has access to it, and that no one else can lay claim to it. Some of you have asked why I closed the fund raiser. The simple answer is that we met the goal rather quickly and that had we carried on, the money would have became available weeks apart. This way, it's all in one lump sum and available much faster. Less importantly, I being the creator of the fund am responsible for the taxes of the total come tax time. It's not an issue and I hope that someone would do it for me if it came down to that. But there's your answer. Please be patient as the next few days unfold. We will all know more soon and hopefully I will be able to update you with positive information. Thank you all so much for everything you've done for our friend.

Click here to read it:

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#26]
interesting.. stickers on his vehicle.. make it a is lessons learned don't advertise. Your 1st amendment going to fook you on your 2nd.. Oh wait this is communist NY you have no rights your name is not Clinton or Cuomo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cetane, That's basically just a long thank you.  No links to an arrest report or news article etc...
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Cetane, That's basically just a long thank you.  No links to an arrest report or news article etc...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea I know, just wondering if anybody else was getting the updates from the fund page as well. Ya know, keepin it alive.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:04:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The people running the fundraising page get pretty snippy if you ask them for more details about the circumstances of the arrest too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The people running the fundraising page get pretty snippy if you ask them for more details about the circumstances of the arrest too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you were the smart one to move the fook out..
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, that changes the narrative quite a bit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well, that changes the narrative quite a bit.
View Quote

Hence my call not to rush to judgment.  This was not the hill to die on for gun rights.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
James G. Jones, 54, Hudson, New Hampshire, July 4, fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, driving while intoxicated, aggravated driving while intoxicated and felony third-degree criminal possession of a weapon: assault rifle.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
James G. Jones, 54, Hudson, New Hampshire, July 4, fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, driving while intoxicated, aggravated driving while intoxicated and felony third-degree criminal possession of a weapon: assault rifle.  

hmm ok,.. so this guy was at a rest stop. was his keys in the ignition ?     some isn't still not adding up right here

Jim was resting at a rest area since it was the weekend of the 4th and hotels raise their rates to ridiculous prices and he only had 4 hours to go before he was back home. A state trooper pulled up and noticed his firearm company stickers on his vehicle.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#36]
This is the problem, we are not seeing straight unsafe violation arrests.  I dont believe (FOPA) covers you if you commit a felony.  And I found this today after telling my mother about the story, she used to be a deputy NYSAG and didnt believe the story.  So we started to google search.  Now not to get into this guys life too much but she said anyone can also get the arrest report that would spell out exactly what the trooper observed and arrested him for. I just dont like being asked for money under false pretenses. Its not as it was explained.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
hmm ok,.. so this guy was at a rest stop. was his keys in the ignition ?     some isn't still not adding up right here

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim was resting at a rest area since it was the weekend of the 4th and hotels raise their rates to ridiculous prices and he only had 4 hours to go before he was back home. A state trooper pulled up and noticed his firearm company stickers on his vehicle.

aggravated driving while intoxicated

usually means driving with no licence or suspended
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
interesting.. stickers on his vehicle.. make it a is lessons learned don't advertise. Your 1st amendment going to fook you on your 2nd.. Oh wait this is communist NY you have no rights your name is not Clinton or Cuomo.
View Quote

I have heard not to drink and drive and not to mix alcohol and guns. Looks like this is the case here. DWI and "illegal" guns.

"James G. Jones, 54, Hudson, New Hampshire, July 4, fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, driving while intoxicated, aggravated driving while intoxicated and felony third-degree criminal possession of a weapon: assault rifle".

If at a rest stop? More to follow....
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This is the problem, we are not seeing straight unsafe violation arrests.  I dont believe (FOPA) covers you if you commit a felony.  And I found this today after telling my mother about the story, she used to be a deputy NYSAG and didnt believe the story.  So we started to google search.  Now not to get into this guys life too much but she said anyone can also get the arrest report that would spell out exactly what the trooper observed and arrested him for. I just dont like being asked for money under false pretenses. Its not as it was explained.  
View Quote

Eh, that's really not fair either.

If Jim had 1 drink, the same exact charges would've been thrown on.

Think about it - Long drive...Have a single beer...Same situation...

I personally, would like to see the arrest report myself but, it doesn't change the reality of the situation.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Let's just say he did some bonehead things to get in the position he is in now.  The defense page is far from accurate.  But rationalization is what we do here apparently.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
At least in NY it doesn't matter if they were in the ignition. If you're intoxicated (that's not 1 beer unless you chug it) and you're in a vehicle without a sober driver at the wheel, you're DWI. Even if you're in the back seat sleeping. Being in control of all that weaponry while drinking is really stupid, having nothing to do with NY.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, that's aggravated unlicensed operation. Aggravated DWI is a .18 or higher BAC.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nope, that's aggravated unlicensed operation. Aggravated DWI is a .18 or higher BAC.
View Quote

So that explains the "sleeping it off" from the OP but, it's all speculation because there's no arrest report, actual BACL or anything else...
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Had nothing to do with it. He was a dumbass and nowhere near a rest stop.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yea natty i figured that... It was on his go fun me page about stickers etc...

After being on grand jury for 5 months before i left NYS..I will say this about troopers in Dutchess county they are very professional and saw that again and again when they presented the cases at the grand jury phase..

Even the DA and ADA's side on caution prior to really charging anyone with a felony crime in the county..
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm still curious.  No matter what he was originally arrested for, DWI or anything else, those gun charges are offensive to natural liberty.  If he wasn't using the guns unlawfully, shouldn't the defense supported by FOPA still be relevant?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I'm still curious.  No matter what he was originally arrested for, DWI or anything else, those gun charges are offensive to natural liberty.  If he wasn't using the guns unlawfully, shouldn't the defense supported by FOPA still be relevant?
View Quote
Sure but, if you are picked up for a felony Im writing you for everything on the spot. And again, I dont believe FOPA is going to cover anyone that is committing a felony.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sure but, if you are picked up for a felony Im writing you for everything on the spot. And again, I dont believe FOPA is going to cover anyone that is committing a felony.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard that's how they role in the People's Republic of China.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it's how they roll in communist New York...
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top