Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2016 11:50:29 AM EDT
Thinking of building an Ares SCR...

Which stock did you guys go with? Sporter, Monte Carlo, or Short stock?

Also, how do you know you are getting the Gen II with the improved trigger and bolt catch feature?

This is what I am thinking...

Ares SCR Lower - $525 (pricey I know)
Stag 3H upper with crowned barrel, A2 front sight - $465 - But will the A2 sight get in the way with a low mounted optic?
VLTOR CASV-M rail and handguard ($189) (add a Streamlight TLR-1)
Aimpoint Comp ML3 with a LaRue RAS II QD mount (lower mount, since the VLTOR rail raises it up a little, and I assume the SCR needs low optics already right?)
Troy BUIS

What do you guys think? Any pitfalls you see with the optic/rail/sight combos?

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure how to tell 1st to 2nd gen aside from looking at them.  The 2nd gen as I understand comes with a bolt catch.  First gen you'll just see a smooth side where the spacer is...

As for your build idea, I'd say you are doing it right piece mealing it.

I bought mine complete and it seems like every time I turn around it annoys me.

Latest thing is I decided to replace the FSB with a railed one so I could put a folding sight on it...

Nope... gas port shelf is about half the length of a standard one, so all the railed gas blocks are too long, so I'd need to replace he barrel too...

friggin money pit of a gun...

so as I said above... your doing it right by piece mealing it.

As to the optic height, ultimately you have to decide how you want to handle it.

The one in the pic you posted has a cheek riser for a reason.  Standard height irons and red dot mounts are just too high.

You might be wise to get a railed GB and get the Scorpion rail sights - that would be my choice over the cheek riser.

Of course with a cheek riser, you will also want a side charger instead of the t-handle.....

Do you see where I am going with this??  These things are honestly plain annoying... not a lot of choices, but dayum...
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a good looking setup, but I've seen a few people with Magpul AFGs on their "featureless" builds which could get them into trouble.

"Second Handgrip or Protruding Grip that can be held by non-shooting hand"
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a good looking setup, but I've seen a few people with Magpul AFGs on their "featureless" builds which could get them into trouble.

"Second Handgrip or Protruding Grip that can be held by non-shooting hand"
View Quote

Yeah I will leave the AFG off. I prefer a normal handguard grip anyway.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not sure how to tell 1st to 2nd gen aside from looking at them.  The 2nd gen as I understand comes with a bolt catch.  First gen you'll just see a smooth side where the spacer is...

As for your build idea, I'd say you are doing it right piece mealing it.

I bought mine complete and it seems like every time I turn around it annoys me.

Latest thing is I decided to replace the FSB with a railed one so I could put a folding sight on it...

Nope... gas port shelf is about half the length of a standard one, so all the railed gas blocks are too long, so I'd need to replace he barrel too...

friggin money pit of a gun...

so as I said above... your doing it right by piece mealing it.

As to the optic height, ultimately you have to decide how you want to handle it.

The one in the pic you posted has a cheek riser for a reason.  Standard height irons and red dot mounts are just too high.

You might be wise to get a railed GB and get the Scorpion rail sights - that would be my choice over the cheek riser.

Of course with a cheek riser, you will also want a side charger instead of the t-handle.....

Do you see where I am going with this??  These things are honestly plain annoying... not a lot of choices, but dayum...
View Quote

Good info thanks! Yeah I am buying a separate upper so I can taylor it all to my wants.

Yeah, the height of an Aimpoint with the LaRue RAS II (low mount) should work...I may buy a Triad stock pouch too, which would raise the cheek weld a little too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I dunno.  That "68" looks pretty scary, and might be illegal here in NY.  I'd leave it off.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#6]
That's exactly what I built. Dropped a featureless upper on it and away I went. I got one with a good trigger but I still had to buy the bolt catch.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#7]
That's exactly what I built. Dropped a featureless upper on it and away I went. I got one with a good trigger but I still had to buy the bolt catch. [%|
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#8]
How is it that all of "us" dont have featureless uppers lying around? I know I have a few left over from the "good old days".
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How is it that all of "us" dont have featureless uppers lying around? I know I have a few left over from the "good old days".
View Quote

Well when they made compensators and brakes (breaks? ) a banned feature, that killed a lot of our "featureless" uppers...
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 3:38:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Why do you need a "feature-less" upper on it?  I thought the lack of a PG makes it so you can have the most evil-est upper you can find at 16" or more.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 5:33:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why do you need a "feature-less" upper on it?  I thought the lack of a PG makes it so you can have the most evil-est upper you can find at 16" or more.

View Quote

Nope, detachable mag is the 1 feature add another and it is an "assault weapon".
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 5:51:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nope, detachable mag is the 1 feature add another and it is an "assault weapon".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's gay.

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well that's gay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well that's gay.

Yea, thats what I mean.  You need one of the old AWB uppers with the target crown barrel, no bayo lug.  Thats what I am talking about, why doesnt anybody else ave 3 or 4 sitting around?

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 3:07:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yea, thats what I mean.  You need one of the old AWB uppers with the target crown barrel, no bayo lug.  Thats what I am talking about, why doesnt anybody else ave 3 or 4 sitting around?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's gay.

Are pinned brakes still allowed, or did the SAFE Act squash that, too?

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 3:11:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's gay.

Did they fix their spelling mistakes?
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 3:23:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe brakes are now allowed, and breaks are banned?  That would work in our favor.

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 5:37:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#18]
458 SOCOM for hunting in NY
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Nice!!! I would love one in 6.8 or .458, but the ammo is what? Over $1 a shot? Not exactly a plinking gun.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#20]

is that front heavy while your holding it ?

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I wish Ares would do a .308 lower.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

And I wish Cumhole ass cancer with AIDS complications.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I second the motion!

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I second the motion!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I second the motion!  

plus penial, lung and mouth
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's gay.

Because we labbed our molons.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#26]
not really
the long handguard lets you grasp it quite a ways out
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
not really
the long handguard lets you grasp it quite a ways out
View Quote

thanks
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, the height of an Aimpoint with the LaRue RAS II (low mount) should work...I may buy a Triad stock pouch too, which would raise the cheek weld a little too.
View Quote

Get the Monti Carlo stock. With a stock pad it's high enough to use standard AR sights.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#29]
OK I am going to pull the trigger.

Where can I buy just the lower?

And how will I know I am buying the 2nd generation version with the last round bolt catch and improved trigger?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OK I am going to pull the trigger.

Where can I buy just the lower?

And how will I know I am buying the 2nd generation version with the last round bolt catch and improved trigger?
View Quote

Your local gun store should be able to order one for you, unless of course you need it right now

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's gay.

I LOL'd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top