Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2016 4:56:48 PM EDT
I know there's a little sign on a phone pole on 7 saying there's one, but I've never bothered to drive down the road, always going somewhere more important. Does anyone know anything about it?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I know the one you are talking about (the sign)  never been to the shop and have wondered about it too. Hopefully someone chimes in.  

Do you go to the shop in Cobleskill?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Not familiar with that one either. (though it sounds slightly familiar, maybe I saw a sign there as well?)  Unless you're talking about Barlow's in Warnervillie, but I thought he was long gone now. Last time I was in there was probably 1990.

I'd be interested in hearing about any other shops in the area. The only of place I know is Pete's Reloading in Westford. He seems like a nice guy the few times I've talked with him, bought one rifle and some powder there over the years. Haven't stopped in for a number of years now. It's awkward when there's nothing there of interest, it's not like a real store where you can browse your way around and tactfully make your exit. lol  I like looking at old used guns. My last time in there everything was new cheap stuff so I had no interest.

(Oh... I forgot about what's his name in (outside) Oneonta, who priced stuff like it was made of gold. Or did they close up too? I recall something went on with them?  I drove by four times last week and never even bothered to look over. While I'm on the subject, is the little old sporting goods store in town still there?)
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.facebook.com/theoutpostofworcester/

Hmm...  last Facebook post was over two years ago.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Cobleskill Outdoor Sports inc.?   http://cobleskilloutdoorsports.com

Never been.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#5]
John Barlow died years ago, spent a lot of my youth in that shop
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Barlow had stuff everywhere!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The auction of Barlows shop was a cluster f :(

The auction house tried to sell all the ammo for choice but everyone thought it was a single lot.  First guy bid something like $500 and then was told to pick one box, he told the auctioneer to get stuffed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The auction house tried to sell all the ammo for choice but everyone thought it was a single lot.  First guy bid something like $500 and then was told to pick one box, he told the auctioneer to get stuffed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was that that geeky looking auctioneer with glasses maybe this one?http://www.brzostek.com/

They used to send you little yellow index cards if they had an auction near your home address.  They did Quay's Guns and War Relics  in Cherry Valley and it was a cluster fuck too.  That whole "choice" thing sucks-they keep selling the same tray of shit over and over for people to pick from.  Only auctioneer I've ever seen around here who does that, it burned me and I will never go to another of their fucked up auctions.

Cobleskill Outdoor Sports is ok.  It's run by a friend of a friend and though they don't really stock anything I need they have done transfers for me before.  It's worth dropping in now and then.

Lynn's was my favorite shop around but that's gone.

Losie's on Southside in Oneonta sucks.  He pulled all the accessories out of the box from a rifle I bought through him once and tried to sell me it all individually.  I knew better than to deal with him but Meade's had closed as had Tom and Julie's in Hartwick so Losie was the only shop I could think of at the time.

There is supposed to be another shop on Southside Oneonta but I've never made it there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd be interested in hearing about any other shops in the area.
View Quote

What do you consider "the area" ? Lol.

When I was more into it I used to have a circuit of gun and surplus stores I'd visit, from Norwich to Barneveld to Albany.  Most are closed now.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Was that that geeky looking auctioneer with glasses maybe this one?http://www.brzostek.com/

They used to send you little yellow index cards if they had an auction near your home address.  They did Quay's Guns and War Relics  in Cherry Valley and it was a cluster fuck too.  That whole "choice" thing sucks-they keep selling the same tray of shit over and over for people to pick from.  Only auctioneer I've ever seen around here who does that, it burned me and I will never go to another of their fucked up auctions.

Cobleskill Outdoor Sports is ok.  It's run by a friend of a friend and though they don't really stock anything I need they have done transfers for me before.  It's worth dropping in now and then.

Losie's on Southside in Oneonta sucks.  He pulled all the accessories out of the box from a rifle I bought through him once and tried to sell me it all individually.  I knew better than to deal with him but Meade's had closed as had Tom and Julie's in Hartwick so Losie was the only shop I could think of at the time.

There is supposed to be another shop on Southside Oneonta but I've never made it there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it was down in the Cairo / Durham area, can't remember the name but I think it started with an M.  After the 2nd or 3rd guy got the hint the auctioneer started yelling at people that a bid, "is a binding legal contract and I'll call the state police to come enforce it!".  That got a good 1/4 of the crowd to head for the door.  I didn't stick around long after that either.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quay's Guns and War Relics  in Cherry Valley
View Quote

When/where was that?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be interested in hearing about any other shops in the area.

Otsego, Schoharie, Montgomery, lower Herkimer.

Spring turkey hunting ending at noon and black flies= lots of time spent watching Gunsmoke and the Rifleman. lol
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When/where was that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quay's Guns and War Relics  in Cherry Valley

When/where was that?

It was just off 166 south of Cherry Valley on the way to Roseboom.  Hole in the wall place but he had cool stuff.  He had a 2nd model Colts Dragoon I kind of wanted.  Always had a bunch of military guns and surplus and antique tools.  Cool shop but that must have been 10 years ago now I guess.  He died of cancer and his wife or heirs hired that buffoon auctioneer to clear out the shop and stuff.  It would have been a great auction had it been anyone else doing it...
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#14]
There is supposed to be a new gun shop in Gloversville.  132 W State Street Ext.  Harnish Outdoor Supply.  I've never been there but an acquaintance just told me they started carrying guns.

https://m.facebook.com/harnishbrothersoutdoorsupply/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top