Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2016 11:57:02 AM EDT
I thought that I would share my recent experience of flying out of LGA to Texas. I arrived at the airport with pistol unloaded and properly locked in a hard side case, I then proceeded to get my boarding pass and then to ticket counter to check my bags. I notified the agent that I was traveling with firearms and that I needed a declaration tag, the PAPD was called and two officers came in about 10 minutes they asked to see my ID and NYS permit recording my information in their note pad and then asked me to show them that the handgun was unloaded they then verified the serial number against my permit I was given a declaration tag filled it out and I was then told to that I could return it to my case and lock it up. The officers could not have been nicer we had a very nice convo. in the elevator while we proceeded down to the secure baggage area where my case was taken by a baggage handler. I then spoke candidly with the officers as we proceeded back upstairs we each wished each other a safe day and I was on my way to Texas.    My experience only YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a tarp!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad you didn't make the news!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#3]
How does your secured handgun box end up on the other end? Does it just come down the shoot with all the other luggage where anyone can pick it up?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
What county is your permit out of if we may ask? The City or the rest of the state?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#5]
he hasnt returned yet.. so stay tuned.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
he hasnt returned yet.. so stay tuned.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Permit is in Putnam not NYC, the luggage just comes down the baggage claim like always. I used a carry-on sized pelican http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/watertight-protector-hard-cases/medium-case/laptop-case/1510LOC/ with heavy locks to transport my gun and all of my peripheral gear, shipped my carry ammo down and purchased some to shoot while I was there some of which I brought back with me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Great to read.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I've flown out of Islip with multiple handguns and other than a Suffolk PD guy confiscating my Mags worth of PDX-1's () it was really quite painless.  Im friends with a TSA sergeant and she saw me on line waiting to declare and loudly proclaimed to the other TSA guys "watch out for that guy - he's trouble" as she pointed to me....Ha

What bothered me more was the return from Tampa.  The "regular" check in girl had me open my luggage AND pistol box on the regular "Queue" in front of all passengers.  People on line flipped the shit out and some actually said "Jesus Christ hes got a bunch of guns on the plane".....I would of thought that look see would have been handled in a TSA room or something.  My luggage (With the pistols inside) came out in regular baggaga claim carousels when I landed
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#10]
My experience was drama free both in NYC and Dallas, the inspection to verify that the pistols are unloaded takes place right at the ticket counter after which the agent gives you the declaration tag to sign. In Texas they did not even want to see that it was unloaded took my word for it gave me the tag to sign which I then placed in the case.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My experience was drama free both in NYC and Dallas, the inspection to verify that the pistols are unloaded takes place right at the ticket counter after which the agent gives you the declaration tag to sign. In Texas they did not even want to see that it was unloaded took my word for it gave me the tag to sign which I then placed in the case.
View Quote

Glad you made back from nyc without having the rubber plunger treatment... Oh wait that was NYPD not PAPD

Metroplex is really nice you should have stayed and never returned.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Glad the trip went through cleanly.

Bill

Quoted:
It's a tarp!
View Quote

To cover him?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What county is your permit out of if we may ask? The City or the rest of the state?
View Quote

Not too important, PAPD has learned about the FOPA through a few arrests and crap being thrown out of court.
Although, there is one PAPD Sgt. who would arrest and tackle a grandmother for having a butter knife...

Bill
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not too important, PAPD has learned about the FOPA through a few arrests and crap being thrown out of court.
Although, there is one PAPD Sgt. who would arrest and tackle a grandmother for having a butter knife...

Bill
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill

Glad they've improved, I had a less than stellar experience with PA.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
fopa has nothing to do with airline travel  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill
fopa has nothing to do with airline travel  

I believe it does, but I may be wrong...
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:30:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#18]
The safe passage provisions section.

I am legal in Putnam and legal in Texas so therefore my travel through uncharted NYC territory would be covered by FOPA

I am only passing through NYC and the Airport incidental to my travel from one geographical location to another geographical location where the possession of my firearm is legal, therefore regardless of the means of transportation as long as the firearm is unloaded and remains in a locked container I believe that FOPA does apply.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:31:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I am legal in Putnam and legal in Texas so therefore my travel through uncharted NYC territory would be covered by FOPA

I am only passing through NYC and the Airport incidental to my travel from one geographical location to another geographical location where the possession of my firearm is legal, therefore regardless of the means of transportation as long as the firearm is unloaded and remains in a locked container I believe that FOPA does apply.
View Quote

One hopes this logic would always be followed.  Out of curiousity, is your permit restricted in any way (eg. target/hunting), or unrestricted carry.  I know this is another issue I've seen come up in similar HTF posts, and i can imagine LE giving more scrutiny (I.e. are you going to target shoot in TX?).
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is considerable debate regarding that. I believe there are court rulings against you.

ETA - Third Circuit ruling.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#23]
What was the final ruling/outcome of Revell v Port Authority?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:22:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top