Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2015 8:20:12 PM EDT
Took a shot at a doe today at 225 yds with a 7.62 x 51. PClean shot,  I'm automatic at that distance as an FYI.

I watch this deer basically flip and fall over. I am all happy for a nice healthy haul to the Freezer and after about 20 minutes I go to check the damage.

No deer, no blood, nothing. I looked and looked and I didn't see any sign of impact. Now I watched this bitch take a spin and go down, so I'm confused. I went back to where I was standing to make sure I was in the right spot, and as I expected: I was.

Anyone ever have something like this happen? I'm perplexed, because normally, when you take one through the body with a. 308.... You suffer from a severe case of deadness!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep i had the same thing happen to me with a doe with a s&w 629 8 3/8" barrel. using a 240 xtp head.. Doe flipped drop and didn't seen to move. Shot was 50 yards with scope.

Waited 20 minutes and gone no nothing. I switched to 180gr jhp Remington head after that. Never had a deer missing again.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Same thing happened to my Son: about a 75 yard shot, SAW HER take the hit, do a back-flip, and haul ass into the Cedar Swamp: three of us spent three hours combing the area from where he hit her and right into the cat-tails and everywhere around...even went back at day light; nothing, Nada, almost like we imagined it all....he shot that deer with a 150gr. Sierra Game King out of a .308 and at less than 100yds....just doesn't seem right but it does happen.
Now we take head/neck shots or none at all.....chasing them into the woods is bad enough, loosing one is even worse.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Those things can be amazing sometimes.  They can appear like ghosts, and disappear too.  I've had a couple do similar things over the years, and I've spent many unsuccessful hours looking for them.  I take some solace in knowing the coyotes will eat well, but not much.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen four deer take a solid hit (300 WSM, 2x 308 and 1 45 blackpowder) take SOLID hits.... and then go hundreds of yards.  Two of these left ZERO blood -  none - despite solid heart and lung shots.  These went 180+ yards and then piled in dead.  I only found them by visually 'marking' where they were shot, then tracking through grass ad leaves.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard they are wearing bullet proof vests this year.  Compliments of FUAC.

ETA, shot a 4pt at 85-90 yds with 69gr federal.  He stumbled, did a 180 and ran.  Went to track after 20 mins and there was no blood what so ever.  I followed the deer trail for 60ish yds and there he was, laying down as if he was bedding.   Double lung shot.  Only blood present was around Where he was laying.

The 5.56 really does a number on the internals, liquified just about everything in the rib cage.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had it with a 12 guage with foster slugs.  

I almost lost the deer but was too stubborn to give up.  No blood trail for 80 yards then all of sudden it started and looked like a bucket of blood was splashed all over the place.  Odd things happen sometimes.  I would have never suspected such a lack of blood with a 12 gauge.   I guess sometimes it takes a while for the lungs to fill up with blood to the level of the holes.  Sometimes you shoot a deer when its stretched at an odd position and all the holes don't line up after the shot and the skin may cover the hole in the rib cage and hold back the flow.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've seen four deer take a solid hit (300 WSM, 2x 308 and 1 45 blackpowder) take SOLID hits.... and then go hundreds of yards.  Two of these left ZERO blood -  none - despite solid heart and lung shots.  These went 180+ yards and then piled in dead.  I only found them by visually 'marking' where they were shot, then tracking through grass ad leaves.
View Quote

Last year I hit one broadside and, as I found out during field-dressing, blew it's heart wide open.  The thing ran 90 YARDS before collapsing.  Simply amazing.  Imagine how far it could have gone on a mere lung or liver shot.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Somewhere I have a book on tracking game published in the 80's.   [ETA- "Trailing Whitetails" by John Trout, Jr. 1987]
In it;
head and spine shots were DRT
heart shots were often found around 100-125 yards from where shot.  
lung shots were often 70-200 yards out
liver shots were 200-400 yards out.
gut shot could be a couple miles

I find those to be accurate as hell on the deer I've taken
a few double lung deer were give or take a 100 yards, both gun and bow, some I saw knocked down and get back up.
a single lung deer was a couple miles; lack of penetration from hitting the shoulder blade when the deer jumped the string
liver shot (and one lung) with a bow; 190ish yards from where shot
heart shots one went about 40 yards with the arteries detached from the top of the  heart (rifle), another with an arrow sliced through the upper ventricles and went 90 yards.  

I can't say much on the neck shots as I've always chosen to avoid them.  I did see my dad knock the brain pan off of a doe in tall brush.  DRT.

Anyways the book was pretty good for a kid learning.  It talked about deer reaction/body reactions that you might see when hit in the lungs vs. the gutshot, etc.  also described hairs you'd find on the ground giving you clues as to where your projectile struck on the body.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input guys. Words cannot express the level of frustration I felt yesterday. I know I hit the bastard, and I really began to doubt both my marksmanship and my sanity.

When you hit something with a .30 type caliber most creatures go down and stay down.

Couldn't find any trace and definitely never found the deer. Good news is at 225 yds the deer had no idea where the shot came from so anyone traveling with her should be back next weekend.

Still frustrating because I was so stoked to show my 4 year old. He's been talking about "killing the deer for soup" the last 2 weeks and he didn't get to see the 8pt in person.

I'm going on a rampage next week... Can you say tannerite??
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I shot a deer 2 years ago with my bow, destroyed one lung and put a nice slice in the second. I tracked that deer for over a mile before I found her. Same year, I shot a buck he jumped the string and I some how managed to place and arrow right above his gut cavity... It was the worst shot I had ever made, I watched a beautiful 8 point run away with an arrow sticking out of his backside.... However he only ran 20 yards and piled up dead.. Deer do some strange things when they are hit.. In the first case, I believe that doe I hit was chased by a buck after she ran ( I found decent set of tracks, plus an extra blood trail leading away from the dead doe), is it possible there was a buck, or another deer near by that when you shot could have kept her moving?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I shot a deer 2 years ago with my bow, destroyed one lung and put a nice slice in the second. I tracked that deer for over a mile before I found her. Same year, I shot a buck he jumped the string and I some how managed to place and arrow right above his gut cavity... It was the worst shot I had ever made, I watched a beautiful 8 point run away with an arrow sticking out of his backside.... However he only ran 20 yards and piled up dead.. Deer do some strange things when they are hit.. In the first case, I believe that doe I hit was chased by a buck after she ran ( I found decent set of tracks, plus an extra blood trail leading away from the dead doe), is it possible there was a buck, or another deer near by that when you shot could have kept her moving?
View Quote

There was a second doe but I lost sight of her. Possibly a button but would that keep her moving?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
This year in fact. Bolt action 30-06, 125 yards.  I swore I saw the 6pt go down.
No blood no fur no guts...nothing.  They walked up the hill to an awaiting friend
who launched a 12 Ga. slug.  He also hit nothing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#13]
" />
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Many yeas ago in the southern tier I was standing beside my buddy when a herd of deer come out of a drive. He shot the biggest doe of the group, prob a 120 pound deer dressed, with his 870. The shot literally took the deer of its feet and caused it to basically do a barrel roll before it got up and took off. The deer went almost 100 yards.

Same friend, northern zone this time. I hear four shots ring out. He comes over the radio, "buck down". We finish the drive, maybe 5 minutes goes by. He gets up, takes two steps, and the buck took off running. We tracked a 98 pound spike horn almost a mile. That deer had a hole high in its back that the exit wound was so big you could put your fist in it.

Moral of the story is you never know what a deer is going to do. I have seen some hit ok but not what I would call perfect drop 20 yards away. The doe from the southern tier had its heart basically shredded and it went almost a football field. That is why we never give up tracking one. I am very fortunate to say that we have never lost a deer.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There was a second doe but I lost sight of her. Possibly a button but would that keep her moving?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they are chased or bumped they will run a long ways, Ive seen it happen many times. If the other doe or button buck for whatever reason kept running she may have just followed the crowd and died along the way.. How well do you know the area? is there a water source or thick bedding in the area? Ive shot lots of deer with my .308, never had a blood trail, hair or anything for the first 50 or so yards just good old school tracking. Most of the time they are dead with in 100 yards but Ive gone as much as a 1/2 mile before any blood started to show up.. If it looked like you hit the deer ( Its rather obvious they buckle, tail goes down and the tend to run, not sprint and bound but run hard fast and low) then you probably did. With out a blood trail start looking for water, or trails that head to thick bedding. A wounded deer is going to take the path of least resistance, look for beaten down obvious deer trails you're either gonna find blood, find your deer or learn a valuable lesson.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If they are chased or bumped they will run a long ways, Ive seen it happen many times. If the other doe or button buck for whatever reason kept running she may have just followed the crowd and died along the way.. How well do you know the area? is there a water source or thick bedding in the area? Ive shot lots of deer with my .308, never had a blood trail, hair or anything for the first 50 or so yards just good old school tracking. Most of the time they are dead with in 100 yards but Ive gone as much as a 1/2 mile before any blood started to show up.. If it looked like you hit the deer ( Its rather obvious they buckle, tail goes down and the tend to run, not sprint and bound but run hard fast and low) then you probably did. With out a blood trail start looking for water, or trails that head to thick bedding. A wounded deer is going to take the path of least resistance, look for beaten down obvious deer trails you're either gonna find blood, find your deer or learn a valuable lesson.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the forces of nature really working against me yesterday. I took the shot at about 4:30pm, which meant I had less than 40-60 minutes of light left. I walked that area pushing my search radius about 150 yds in the direction the one other deer moved to. I found no sign of splatter or hair, and too make it worse it was very damp. The area has two ponds and a 100 ft drop to a creek. If she went over the edge (unlikely I know) that would be the one place I didn't have a chance. 45 minutes isn't a whole lot of time to track either.

I will sheepishly admit that that is the reason for the. 308. I hate tracking and for the last 4 years I've had great luck dropping them where they stand.

Any chance the vortex from the bullet knocks them over in surprise and I did miss??
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#17]
If you hit them too high they will often bleed internally and go a distance before showing any blood.  I have seen it happen many times.  Best bet is an organized search with friends/family in the general direction you saw the deer run.  We have recovered deer that went hundreds of yards after a fatal shot.  Sometimes they cannot be found and it is heartbreaking.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I had the forces of nature really working against me yesterday. I took the shot at about 4:30pm, which meant I had less than 40-60 minutes of light left. I walked that area pushing my search radius about 150 yds in the direction the one other deer moved to. I found no sign of splatter or hair, and too make it worse it was very damp. The area has two ponds and a 100 ft drop to a creek. If she went over the edge (unlikely I know) that would be the one place I didn't have a chance. 45 minutes isn't a whole lot of time to track either.

I will sheepishly admit that that is the reason for the. 308. I hate tracking and for the last 4 years I've had great luck dropping them where they stand.

Any chance the vortex from the bullet knocks them over in surprise and I did miss??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My friend called me a few years ago with a late shot he couldn't find. We combed the area for hours. I finally found blood at 9pm...one little drop. 50 yards farther was a tiny buck in a massive pool of blood.

I'm a stubborn bastard though when it comes to looking for game.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My friend called me a few years ago with a late shot he couldn't find. We combed the area for hours. I finally found blood at 9pm...one little drop. 50 yards farther was a tiny buck in a massive pool of blood.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have roaming bands of Yotes at night. If that dear did go down, I'll only find scraps today
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Follow yote tracks, find your deer.. Sure it might be picked over and gone, but A. Youll wont loose your confidence, (you did in fact hit the damn thing) and B. never know, years from now it might happen again and you'll have an idea of where the deer might have headed.. Ive hunted the same peace of land for over 10 years now, I cant tell you how many times I've said " Well the deer normally head this way when wounded" and found my deer with out a blood trail.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:20:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Some year back my BIL shot a buck from his tree stand, maybe 15-20 yards with a magnum revolver.  Boom "DRT".  He watched it for a bit, holstered and then climbed down out of the tree.  Soon as he hit the bottom step the buck jumped up and took off running. We tracked that deer several miles and never did see it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Everything said here could apply to human targets as well, which is why all the "stopping power" discussions and advocates of one caliber over another are a waste of hot air. Same thing with bullet designs- while fundamentally a soft or hunting hollow point is obviously the choice pretty much all opinion of one bullet being better than another is bull. There are just too many variables when shooting living things to have any degree of predictability of what will happen when they are hit
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt it, if they stumble while trying to change direction in a hurry, you may see them unsteady but it will be a second or two after the shot, not the millisecond it takes for a bullet to strike.  

BTW you said 7.62x51 in your OP.  You didn't use FMJ did you?

Anyways there should be some hair scattered on the off side where the deer was standing when it was hit.  Generally not a lot but there should be a "blow out" pattern of hairs, maybe up to yard out on the off side.  Might be a lot like with a 12 gauge or maybe just a dozen or so.  I've seen it with and without a blood spatter pattern, depends what was hit on the inside.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#24]
^^^

Not this time. I used my lead tipped Remington 180 gr.

Out west I used fmj for mule deer and elk. Those guys take a punch so you need to bring your a game.

Curios as to why though? Other than destroyed shoulder meat.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Last week I had what I thought was a Doe step out at about 40 yards, shot, it bucked and took off. I used a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. waited about fifteen minutes and checked for blood. Nothing to about fifty yards, then a pool. Trailed it another 100 yrds and found a spike flopped dead. Double lunged it. Tough animals.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
^^^

Out west I used fmj for mule deer and elk. Those guys take a punch so you need to bring your a game.

View Quote

FMJ will certainly kill but it doesn't mushroom so it cuts down on the wound channel.  The 5.56 is designed to come apart.  The 7.62 is not.   You'll get the basic wound channel and some hydrostatic shock.  You may not get the wound channel you would with a soft point like your core lokt with the mushrooming point.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

FMJ will certainly kill but it doesn't mushroom so it cuts down on the wound channel.  The 5.56 is designed to come apart.  The 7.62 is not.   You'll get the basic wound channel and some hydrostatic shock.  You may not get the wound channel you would with a soft point like your core lokt with the mushrooming point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^

Ah, good point. I must confess I was expecting the "that's absurd and cruel" speech I've gotten from fudds lol
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ah, good point. I must confess I was expecting the "that's absurd and cruel" speech I've gotten from fudds lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^

Ha, I like to think I'm open minded.  I used to argue with a SP marksman back in the old days.  All he would use is Federal .308 168 BTHP match on deer.   Then again he was fairly surgical about is chosen shots.  

I think the difference isn't lethality, it's the time to drop them to prevent them from dying on the posted land next door with 12 hunters looking to also shoot the same deer.  Doesn't always matter what you shoot them with, S still happens.  All you can do is try to up the odds with marksmanship and a sufficient performance of the projectile once it's there.  Nothings perfect, there aint no guarantees.  Pardon the non word aint.

I'm not a big Barnes fan but they're .30 caliber bullets that will fragment like the m193 ammo.  The wreak havoc on the insides of a deer.  Actually kind of too messy.   I've seen them turn lungs into goo in big deer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#29]
UFO Alien deer abduction

Or

You need some practice with your over 200 yard shots
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
UFO Alien deer abduction

Or

You need some practice with your over 200 yard shots
View Quote

Is it possible to have both???

...he's back
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Lost a buck this year.  Took a solid hop after I shot it.  Trailed lung blood for 2 and a half hours.  Lost it's trail at a swamp's edge as it was getting dark.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#32]
EH
Quoted:

Is it possible to have both???

...he's back
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: