Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/23/2015 1:15:50 PM EDT
Trial should be wrapping up today.  Wonder how long they'll deliberate.

Here's hopin'

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The judge said that most of the evidence is circumstantial.   If she instructs the jury to only look at concrete evidence and "beyond reasonable doubt" he may walk.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Albany is a "mass grave site" where all have skeletons: I'm just going to bet he slips out of the noose or gets a little Community Service with the parking ticket..must not have rolled over, since he's not witness protected or dead...

"He made millions...." again, too big to Jail.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/11/23/sheldon-silver-trial-closing-arguments/
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing will happen... shelly's going to walk.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Updates? Are they still deliberating? Haven't seen anything in the news.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Only update I heard was a blurb on the top of the hour news that 1 juror sent a note to the judge saying that they had a view different than all of the other jurors and felt pressured and stressed to change their mind.

Can't decide if it's 1 sane person in the jury room against the NYC madness, or 1 insane person holding up the works.  I guess time will tell.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only update I heard was a blurb on the top of the hour news that 1 juror sent a note to the judge saying that they had a view different than all of the other jurors and felt pressured and stressed to change their mind.

Can't decide if it's 1 sane person in the jury room against the NYC madness, or 1 insane person holding up the works.  I guess time will tell.
View Quote

NYP:  "Prosecutors immediately said they wanted the woman replaced by an alternate juror"   that says to me she's the only one against "GUILTY"
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#7]
“I am wondering if there is anyway I can be excused from this case, because I have a different opinion/view so far in this case and it is making me feel very, very uncomfortable.”

That plea to be excused from the case came in a note from an unidentified juror, sent to the judge, Valerie E. Caproni, less than two hours after deliberations had started in Federal District Court in Manhattan.

“I’m feeling pressured, stressed out ... told that I’m not using my common sense, my heart is pounding and my head feels weird,” the juror wrote. “I am so stressed out right now that I can’t even write normally. I don’t feel like I can be myself right now! I need to leave!”
View Quote

Looks like a precious little snow flake has had their delicate feelings trampled on.

A second note came shortly afterward, apparently from a different unidentified juror, stating that one of the jurors — the note did not specify which one — was having difficulty distinguishing whether or not giving New York State funds for “something in return is illegal.”
View Quote

Only in NY, folks.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/25/nyregion/sheldon-silver-trial-jury.html?_r=0
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#8]
If Silver is convicted, it will be overturned in appeal.
I highly doubt, he will spend anytime in prison.

The best that can be hoped for, has already happened, he is out as Speaker.
As for squealing on the Cuomo, not a chance.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Looks like a precious little snow flake has had their delicate feelings trampled on.

Only in NY, folks.  

Well, we now know there are two liberals on the jury.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
“I am wondering if there is anyway I can be excused from this case, because I have a different opinion/view so far in this case and it is making me feel very, very uncomfortable.”

That plea to be excused from the case came in a note from an unidentified juror, sent to the judge, Valerie E. Caproni, less than two hours after deliberations had started in Federal District Court in Manhattan.

“I’m feeling pressured, stressed out ... told that I’m not using my common sense, my heart is pounding and my head feels weird,” the juror wrote. “I am so stressed out right now that I can’t even write normally. I don’t feel like I can be myself right now! I need to leave!”

A second note came shortly afterward, apparently from a different unidentified juror, stating that one of the jurors — the note did not specify which one — was having difficulty distinguishing whether or not giving New York State funds for “something in return is illegal.”

Only in NY, folks.  

Well, we now know there are two liberals on the jury.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#10]
It is likely the same woman in both notes. Cunt!
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It is likely the same woman in both notes. Cunt!
View Quote

I'm going to go with it's the same loon in both notes.  Apparently there was yet another note at the end of the day from a juror asking to speak privately to the judge after the rest of the jury was dismissed for the day.  No doubt in my mind that the 11 other Jurors are heading towards guilty on at least a few counts.

From the sounds of it the Judge is going to call them in to the court room around noon and ask them if they want to keep deliberating or adjourn until monday.  The suspense is killing me
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#12]
They just dismissed the jury until monday... Judge denied the request from the juror to have a meeting.

I am thinking its 11 to one for guilty and the one probably thinks its done all the time, it cant possibly be illegal, or else there would be lots of politicians going to jail... must be a misunderstanding.

If the judge doesnt dismiss the juror on monday, this is going to be a mistrial. I just hope Preet has the balls to move forward with another trial...
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Only in NY, folks.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Only in NY, folks.  

Wow.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Throw the dumb cunt in the clink with Silver.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They just dismissed the jury until monday... Judge denied the request from the juror to have a meeting.

I am thinking its 11 to one for guilty and the one probably thinks its done all the time, it cant possibly be illegal, or else there would be lots of politicians going to jail... must be a misunderstanding.

If the judge doesnt dismiss the juror on monday, this is going to be a mistrial. I just hope Preet has the balls to move forward with another trial...
View Quote
It only takes one to screw up a jury BUT I would prefer that to having a system where everyone was railroaded to prison.  As Ben Franklin stated, "...it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer...".  At least with a mistrial, the government can have another shot at the guy.  Sadly I think the Special Snowflake causing the trouble is a preview to what we will be seeing come from the up-and-coming generation.  I am prejudiced in this regards and would bet the juror is in her early 20's and probably a minority.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Bump for updates
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Another Juror is passing notes, this time saying they JUST realized they have a conflict of interest.  Last update on the radio was that the judge was meeting with that juror.  God only know what kind of whackadoos are in that jury room now.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Another Juror is passing notes, this time saying they JUST realized they have a conflict of interest.  Last update on the radio was that the judge was meeting with that juror.  God only know what kind of whackadoos are in that jury room now.
View Quote

The exact kind Silver's high priced attorney team wanted in there...
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silver: Juror who wants off is a taxi driver who leases medallion from a man wh he believes knows Silver.

Silver juror: "I'd really prefer not to hear any more but if you order that that's what I've got to do."

Can we just get this over with already, god damn.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
yikes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
yikes

Juror has asked to be removed from deliberations because the man who owns the medallion of the taxi he drives knows Silver from synagogue

Judge tells the juror he cannot be excused and to go inside and continue deliberations. Law prevents him from being retaliated against

Worth noting they cannot deliberate without all 12 jurors in room, so while this issue took up most of morning deliberations likely stalled

So there you have it, a giant waste of time this morning.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Bump waitin' on verdict!

The fact that someone was worried about retaliation makes me hopeful.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#23]
GUILTY
GUILTY
GUILTY
GUILTY
GUILTY
GUILTY
GUILTY

FUSS!

Since "Albany was on trial" I fully expect Preet to be dotting his I's and crossing his T's on the paper work for the princess.  I only hope he slaps the bracelets on him before the ink is even dry.

How ironic is it that it's 7 counts that puts this a-hole away?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice!  That's one early Christmas present.  I hope he gets a good sentence for club fed!

It just hit the radio here.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
guilty on all counts
View Quote

Great, but I'm not holding my breath that the prick does any hard time.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Next!

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
guilty on all counts

The good news is now that he's guilty he's automatically ejected from the ASSembly.  He's not even a lowly assemblyman anymore.  Not that the republicans will win that seat but it's now vacated after all of these years of him soiling it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok Legal eagle types.....now that he is convicted....can he roll over on cuomo and get a favorable  "sentencing recommendation" from the DOJ?

I'm just thinking if he went to trial he obviously didn't make any deals, so now that he is looking at going inside all day (said in Sean Connery's voice in my head) maybe he will be more motivated?

Is that a real thing or have I watched too many movies?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#31]
1 down, 893475934659458756 more to go.

At this rate, NY will be cleaned up right about the time the sun smashes into earth.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's federal court, he's in deep shit  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
guilty on all counts

It's federal court, he's in deep shit  

How does the appeals process work?  Will we be waiting 2 years to actually see him do time?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fuckin awesome
View Quote

X3 I hope!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Ok Legal eagle types.....now that he is convicted....can he roll over on cuomo and get a favorable  "sentencing recommendation" from the DOJ?

I'm just thinking if he went to trial he obviously didn't make any deals, so now that he is looking at going inside all day (said in Sean Connery's voice in my head) maybe he will be more motivated?

Is that a real thing or have I watched too many movies?
View Quote

IIRC since this is a Federal conviction, his chance to plea it down or get it reduced passed with his conviction.

I think the only thing he can do is appeal.

ETA: I bet Cuomo is shitting his pants right now. All the people who don't want to get nailed like 'ol Sheldon are going to get chatty.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#36]
i hope he becomes someones bitch and dies in prison with 98% of his time served.

I want to see the tyrant in cuffs..
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Cuomo, you're next, you son of a dirty dog! FUAC!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Good news but i wont be happy until he's in an orange suit crying on a cot.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Doesn't seem like the kind of defendant that gets sent to an assrapey prison  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i hope he becomes someones bitch and dies in prison with 98% of his time served.

Nope i know.. he will get camp cupcake like MS got.

All of these guilty politicians need to get life with out prole anything less doesn't send the right message.  

Its for the moral character and safety of the children.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#43]
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/albany/2015/11/8584037/sheldon-silver-convicted-all-counts-corruption-trial

Assemblyman Sheldon Silver — one of the most powerful men in Albany for two decades and a constant in shaping state policy under five governors — was found guilty Monday of selling his office for legal fees, capping a trial that cast new light on the capital's lax ethics laws and handing federal prosecutors a big win in a case that had lacked a smoking gun.
View Quote

This is what gives me hope.  I do not believe Preet has a smoking gun on Cuomo.  We know he has plenty of dirt and slime, but no conclusive evidence.  I think the Silver trial was a test run and confidence booster for Preet that he can take that pile of evidence and walk away with a win against Cuomo.  If Skelos goes down as well it's sort of like a football game where a coach who wins two challenges gets a third.  I'd say half their case prep is already tested via Silver, I'm willing to bet what stuck to Silver re: Glenwood will stick to Cuomo.

If any lawyer wants to pipe up, what's the implications for the Moreland investigation now that Silver has been convicted?  Could a case be made that Cuomo brokered the shutdown with Silver because he knew Silver was dirty?  Could a case be made that they both shut it down because they knew it would get both of them?  Could it be implied that Cuomo (being an attorney himself) impeded the investigation based on his knowledge and the direction / findings of the Moreland comission?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm drinking to him tonight

I hope he has so much fun in the pen
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Did anyone call skelos?  He'd probably like to know.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Ah, fuggit, +1

I'm breaking out the Woodford Reserve Double oak in celebration.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ah, fuggit, +1

I'm breaking out the Woodford Reserve Double oak in celebration.
View Quote

NICE!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:06:34 AM EDT
[#49]
My drink of choice is Tullamore Dew 12 Year.

Only one drink down, toasted to my uncle's passing. He is smiling down at justice being served today.

I think I'll have another.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

still...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top