Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2015 12:51:06 PM EDT
1st off, I know the law sucks & is an unconstitutional Cumhole cluster fuck.
But I was asked a question by a relative who lives out of state who happens to own an early 3 digit serial numbered AR15, he is up in his years & would like to give it to his law abiding (Doctor) son, who unfortunately lives in our fucked up state.
Has anyone out there tried to transfer or register a 50+ year old AR15?
If I read the. law correctly 50+ year old rifles are fully transferable.
Thanks

PS: FUAC, FUBHO, FUHRC.
GO PREET!
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Theoreticaly legal. Do it and tell us what happens. you'd need to transfer it and register it.

And remember, it's officially an SP-1, not an ar-15 per the receiver marking.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If the state allowed it.. it would have to be registered as an "Assault Weapon"...

Best best for the father to gift it face to face to the son in the fathers state of residence, and then for the son to lose the rifle in a tragic boating accident just before he crosses the new york border...

this is one of those SSS situations...
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#3]

That old bag of machine parts? Not even worth mentioning.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the state allowed it.. it would have to be registered as an "Assault Weapon"...

Best best for the father to gift it face to face to the son in the fathers state of residence, and then for the son to lose the rifle in a tragic boating accident just before he crosses the new york border...

View Quote

His son would never break the law, he has too much to lose + the point is for the Son to be able to actually use the rifle, not hide it in the dark.
PS: My uncle can't understand my heavy opposition to registering the rifle, He points out that he had handguns registered in NY for over 40 years & never gave it a thought!
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And remember, it's officially an SP-1, not an ar-15 per the receiver marking.
View Quote

Every SP1 I have owned & I owned many before they all sank on a boat to the free state of PA, Was marked
Colt AR 15 Model SP1
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#6]
My mistake on the roll mark then. At any rate register it and if the NYSP refuse the registration, you bring an article 78 action
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

This but keep the rifle outside the boundaries  of nys in a storage unit ? , aka PA, VT etc..
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Put a bullet button in it and forget about the other bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck the "law".  Law in quotes because it was passed by a bunch of criminals who should spend the rest of their living days in prison, and then the eternity after that in hell.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Fuck the "law".  Law in quotes because it was passed by a bunch of criminals who should spend the rest of their living days in prison, and then the eternity after that in hell.
View Quote
So was Sullivan and we are still stuck with his clusterf_ck 104 years later...

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, you are able to transfer a 50+ year old rifle into the state.  By the letter of the law, you must register it within 30 days of it being transferred into the state.

Funny thing is, the moment it is registered, it is no longer deemed an "assault weapon", so even under the definition of this ridiculous law, there is no such thing as a registred assault weapon in NY
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Funny thing is, the moment it is registered, it is no longer deemed an "assault weapon", so even under the definition of this ridiculous law, there is no such thing as a registered assault weapon in NY
View Quote
True.  "Firearms" are illegal in New York per PL 265. It is that definition of "Firearm" that is the catchword.  If I were ever asked if I had any "Firearms", I would say no.  That is the truth if I stick to the PL 265 definition.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted: If I were ever asked if I had any "Firearms", I would say no.  
View Quote

What would you gain by answer the question
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted: If I were ever asked if I had any "Firearms", I would say no.  

One scenario I can think were it could relieve you of a burden is if you are being questioned during voir dire in a New York court.  If I were asked by one of the attorneys if I own any firearms, I would have to retort "Please define a firearm.  Do you mean as defined in PL 265?".  I am sure you will be rejected because you already show more knowledge than either side wants in a juror.  I've been asked by customs in the past if I had any firearms with me instead of the term "guns" or "weapons".  Of course with customs you are are not dealing with PL 265 and I have never traveled with weapons regardless.  You could be a wisea$$ and cite the definition of "Firearm" in the NFA but who has time to sit at the border for several hours while they take you apart because you were a jerk?

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
1st off, I know the law sucks & is an unconstitutional Cumhole cluster fuck.
But I was asked a question by a relative who lives out of state who happens to own an early 3 digit serial numbered AR15, he is up in his years & would like to give it to his law abiding (Doctor) son, who unfortunately lives in our fucked up state.
Has anyone out there tried to transfer or register a 50+ year old AR15?
If I read the. law correctly 50+ year old rifles are fully transferable.
Thanks

PS: FUAC, FUBHO, FUHRC.
GO PREET!
View Quote

In addition to it being legal to bring into the state, (so long as he registers it within 30 days)  he also would NOT need to go through an ffl for the transfer for the purposes of NYS law.  Giving a gun to your child is one of the few instances where you can still conduct a "private transfer".  But if he plans on mailing it from one state to another state (and from one person on the return address and a different person on the mailing address) then it would have to go through an ffl, as per federal law.   If he picks it up in person though, the only thing he would have to do is register it within 30 days, no ffl involved.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
True.  "Firearms" are illegal in New York per PL 265. It is that definition of "Firearm" that is the catchword.  If I were ever asked if I had any "Firearms", I would say no.  That is the truth if I stick to the PL 265 definition.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Funny thing is, the moment it is registered, it is no longer deemed an "assault weapon", so even under the definition of this ridiculous law, there is no such thing as a registered assault weapon in NY

While it is true that "firearms" are illegal in NY, there are a variety of exemptions.  For instance, any handgun is deemed a firearm and is illegal, however, if you have an nys pistol permit and that gun is on your permit, then you are exempt from that law in that scenario.  So if someone asked you if you have a firearm, your reply in calling it a firearm or not is pretty irrelevant, it either is or is not, And you're either allowed to have it or you are not, under the law.  Referring to a long barreled pump action shotgun as a firearm would not make it a firearm under the law and you could not get arrested or charged for referring to it as such.

Not calling an unregistered handgun a firearm would not stop it from being a "firearm" and would not help keep you from being arrested or charged.

So simply saying that you have a firearm is no different than saying that you have a gun realistically.  Because even if it legally is considered a "firearm" that doesn't necessarily mean it is illegal for you to possess.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

For instance, any handgun is deemed a firearm and is illegal, however, if you have an nys pistol permit and that gun is on your permit, then you are exempt from that law in that scenario.

View Quote
Then I was mistaken. I was under the impression an unregistered handgun was a firearm; having a permit and an unregistered handgun was still possession of an illegal firearm.  Not having a permit and a registered handgun was unlicensed possession on the part of the person in possession but the handgun was not illegal.

These laws are just to convoluted to understand at times.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Then I was mistaken. I was under the impression an unregistered handgun was a firearm; having a permit and an unregistered handgun was still possession of an illegal firearm.  Not having a permit and a registered handgun was unlicensed possession on the part of the person in possession but the handgun was not illegal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For instance, any handgun is deemed a firearm and is illegal, however, if you have an nys pistol permit and that gun is on your permit, then you are exempt from that law in that scenario.

The handgun in and of itself is never illegal.  Only the possession of such by a person who is not exempt from the law.  It would be the same criminal charge for both of the scenarios you gave.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top