BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 11:13:17 AM EDT
Cause I can't leave anyhting alone.....

Bought an SCR 2 weeks back.

Started tinkering....

Problem 1

Due to the rounding of the lower receiver, the .22 conversion unit did not fit.... but I have two conversion units, so lets have soem fun.....

A little dremmel and grinder work.

One on the left is my modified unit, on the right is factory.

In the upper

Problem 2

firing pin length.
due to the different hammer, the spacing is off for making contact with the firing pin.
Not the best shot, but here you can see the back of the firing pin and the hammer and the space between the two when the hammer is dropped.

So how do we fix this....

if I had a metal lathe.,.. easy... but I don't.

So were gunna weld an extention onto the pin.

factory pin

Welded a rod to the pin, cut it down, ground it smooth.  only issue is my welder can't do very precise jobs, need TIG for that....

So I had to lose the shelf.  I found out after I did this that you can mod a standard AR firing pin to fit and the shelf is perfect on that, so I'll be doing that in the near future, but for the time being the existing one is beveled out wider at the end and the cross pin that goes between the notch should keep it in place.  I need to replace it before i shoot too much though as I don't want the bevel to wear the opening in th eback of the bolt too much....

Installed, hammer contact.  Only added ~1/8th of an inch.

Test fired 5 rounds in the basement.  Works perfect!

Factory unit on bottom, modified on top

Good firing pin contact.  You can see the retangular mark coming off the top of the hummingbird's head.

So yeah... I may be the only person in the world right now with a working .22 conversion unit for the Ares SCR  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome. You win the Internet today.
I need to assemble my NY10 got the lok yesterday in the mail.

Now I want a Scr
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm impressed! When I pick up an SCR I'm going to refer to this.

Props, OP
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quick update.  Hit the range on Monday.  50 rounds of Wolf Gold.  Ran like a top.

Mucho fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top