Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 8:17:43 PM EDT
Nassau/Suffolk?  

I bought 3 full cords last year and used it all, but these tree companies charge $200/ cord and about 40 pieces+ per truck load are garbage worthy, about 10% is nice dry straight stackable not rotten hardwood.  Price is insane and quality is terrible.  Anyone got a line on wood for the upcoming season?  Green wood is $130-150 and I may do that too if it is quality...if that is even possible round here
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Do we need a firewood sticky? Beats SAFE questions.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do we need a firewood sticky? Beats SAFE questions.
View Quote
I did feel bad about being second to post this but since all my guns are welded shut I've got nothing else to talk about

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If you had a wood stocked AR you could burn the now useless stock and replace with a spur? Sorry, you are too far away for me to help with firewood.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If you had a wood stocked AR you could burn the now useless stock and replace with a spur? Sorry, you are too far away for me to help with firewood.
View Quote
I could burn my magpul nonsense and inhale the fumes, that would solve a lot of problems...

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:05:10 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a bunch of tree guys by me I'll ask around.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:35:44 AM EDT
[#6]
What does your local DPW do with the trees they have to trim or cut down?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:37:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Around here there are massive municipal brush piles that eventually go through a chipper for mulch.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Around here there are massive municipal brush piles that eventually go through a chipper for mulch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, that's the brush
What do they do with the trees?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I've noticed the Town of Oyster Bay waste facility in Old Bethpage has had a huge pile of wood.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to get all I needed from Wildwood State Park in Wading River.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got about a 50' oak in my yard I'm looking to get rid of.  Smith Haven Mall area.   Come cut it down and it's all yours...
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've noticed the Town of Oyster Bay waste facility in Old Bethpage has had a huge pile of wood.  
View Quote

I noticed someone using a wood splitter on that pile the other day.
+ I'm tagging this thread because I'm also in the market for some good (Hopefully inexpensive) firewood!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Huntington supposedly has firewood too.  I asked one of the town guys after Sandy and he said there is a maintenance facility on Oakwood (I think) that stockpiles the logs.  Free for taking.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Huntington supposedly has firewood too.  I asked one of the town guys after Sandy and he said there is a maintenance facility on Oakwood (I think) that stockpiles the logs.  Free for taking.
View Quote
Interesting....

I'm not huge about splitting 3-4 cords by hand by myself...

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 4:30:52 AM EDT
[#17]
OP,

I had the same bad experience last winter.

I had two cords delivered to my house...and the quality really blew.

No answers, just commiserating.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Interesting....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting....

Time to invest in a splitter or even build your own if you are the handy type
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting....

I live on a 7k sq ft lot with a 3/4 car garage...I don't have room for a lawn mower no less machinery.  I called around last yr regarding unsplit wood and no one would sell me any.  I assume the free stuff would still have to be sectioned so if need a new chainsaw too.  Not worth it here.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I live on a 7k sq ft lot with a 3/4 car garage...I don't have room for a lawn mower no less machinery.  I called around last yr regarding unsplit wood and no one would sell me any.  I assume the free stuff would still have to be sectioned so if need a new chainsaw too.  Not worth it here.  
View Quote

No friends to leech off of?
No equipment rental companies in your town?
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Call the Town of Oyster Bay. They have free firewood. They have a lot with tons of logs, they open it one day per month or one day per week. not sure, havent been there since last year.

Bring your own tools (splitter, chainsaw) as its just a pile of logs, some might be cut to proper length, but most are too long to fit in a fire place, and none are split.

Huntington may also give away wood, but only ever actually been to OB's yard for wood.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks like Oyster Bay does this every year:

http://oysterbaytown.com/town-oyster-bay-offers-free-firewood-winter/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top