Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2015 3:04:05 PM EDT
I'm not bring any guns or even a single round of ammo.  Can I bring a fixed blade knife?  Would take taxi from airport to manhatten, leaving it in my luggage then my hotel.  Of course I wouln't not carry it.  I just don't like to be w/o at least a fixed blade knife.  Going from NY to VA and I don't like to be away from home completely unarmed.  What about a bowie; any difference?  

or, is even having a knife in the state or the city limits a crime?

Like a gun, I could probably get away w/ it no problem till it was time to check back into the NY airport and they maybe find said dagger &/or bowie knife when I check my luggage to fly out.  

Thx
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm not bring any guns or even a single round of ammo.  Can I bring a fixed blade knife?  Would take taxi from airport to manhatten, leaving it in my luggage then my hotel.  Of course I wouln't not carry it.  I just don't like to be w/o at least a fixed blade knife.  Going from NY to VA and I don't like to be away from home completely unarmed.  What about a bowie; any difference?  

or, is even having a knife in the state or the city limits a crime?

Like a gun, I could probably get away w/ it no problem till it was time to check back into the NY airport and they maybe find said dagger &/or bowie knife when I check my luggage to fly out.  

Thx
View Quote

Bring nothing but a whistle all you can have in the peoples republic of NY.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
You're more likely to be robbed in Floridishu than NYC.  You can't walk 20 feet in the city without tripping over an NYPD flunky.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Fixed blade means 4" and under and no double edged blades in NYC. You could bring a 10" kitchen knife and get away with it, but not anything that looks like a Bowie or dagger.  You are a chef or something right? If you want to go nuts, you could just fly into Newark then take the tunnel into the city.

As far as walking around NYC with anything, you can carry pepper spray legally as long as it's a certain size/strength, or a small fixed blade that's concealed unless you're actually using it, but I wouldn't risk the fixed blade just walking around the tourist areas.  A Swiss Army knife or spyderco ukpk is a much better bet, just don't use the pocket clip.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, I know not to use the pocket clip on a knife, that seeing that can lead to contact and the wrist flick test, I know all about that as a member of knife rights.  

I guess I'll leave the bowie and dagger at home and have to use big screw driver and ball peen hammer if there is a zombie outbreak when I am there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're more likely to be robbed in Floridishu than NYC.  You can't walk 20 feet in the city without tripping over an NYPD flunky.
View Quote
I would feel safer walking around NYC than Tampa or Miami.  As noted, you cannot sneeze in NYC without running into NYPD.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:53:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I guess I'll leave the bowie and dagger at home and have to use big screw driver and ball peen hammer if there is a zombie outbreak when I am there.
View Quote

Daggers are specifically banned by type in NYS
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a little aluminum bat made by Reliable for beating the brains out of fish. Probably works on humans.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry a benchmade 940 all the time in NYC and have never had a problem and I do carry using the pocket clip, also have been thru the court house just had to leave the 940 with the guard till I left
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:13:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I carry a benchmade 940 all the time in NYC and have never had a problem and I do carry using the pocket clip, also have been thru the court house just had to leave the 940 with the guard till I left
View Quote

Are you a "special person", as in someone with some type of job that exempts you from certain laws in this state?  I know for a fact that court officers routinely do the flick check to checked knives in the downstate region.  Your experience may be positive, but many have had documented issues doing the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm  not in any type of LE job   just a regular guy that's never had trouble carrying a 940 in the city .
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#12]
No.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:30:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't put it in your luggage, stick it in Bloomberg's ass when you get there!????
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Daggers are specifically mentioned in the NY penal code sa being illegal in the state.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I never leave the house without my Bowie knife either.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm  not in any type of LE job   just a regular guy that's never had trouble carrying a 940 in the city .
View Quote

you sir, are very lucky, but I wouldn't push it any further.   NYCs knife law is one of its most enforced laws, of all their laws.  The law is quite old, was originally against switch blades and then against surplus german gravity knives which were carried to get around the switchblade ban back when youth street gangs used to rubmble.  

Then, when some policician recently wanted statistics to show that the stop and frisk type policing was "making the streets safe" and being "tough on crime" etc in furtherance of his career, street cops were incentivised to harrass ordinary pocket knife carriers and this "Wrist flick test" was instituted, and having a knife visible on the pocket was seen as grounds for detention and further investigation.  German gravit knives were made to fall open so that paratroopers could cut themselves free of their rigging if they only had one hand free for the task, they had no spring in them to hold the blade normally closed.  NYC proposes that if a cop, any cop on the scene, can happen to flick any knife open, often even by holding onto the blade rather than the handle, even if he can only do it once successfully after numerous tries, that one is in violation of the gravity knife law.  Furhtermore, they would almost alsway make a point to arrest the man, to take him to jail rather than just wriging him a ticket/summons or whatever b/c the wanted to make their seizer/arrests of/for "dangerous weapons" stats looks good.  

In fact, after the "stop and frisk" controversy, IIRC, some city asshole was saying that the pratice had got like 60,000 "dangerous weapons" off the streets.  What they wanted everyone to hear was that like 60k illegal guns had been seized.  In fact, that figure was almost entirely ordinary modern type pocket clip knives.  Don't be a victim to a bunch of stat chasing sociopathic cops and politicians.  

The village voice or some other local paper up there did a big expose about this.  I think it is a left leaning paper so they might have been more concenred about how this policy was more ruining the lives of blacks or people who had prior convictions of stuff and then who actually got sent to prison for having a pocket knife like we all carry.    Knife rights.org has a lot of info about it and have an ongoing lawsuit about it focusing on how the law is unconstitutionally vague as evidenced by the subjective inconsistent wrist flick test.

everyone of these cops who arrests people for carrying a pocket knife is a straight up traitor to the USC.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#17]
well I guess I have been lucky, NYC is one screwed up place for self defense my job takes me to that hell hole once every two weeks  from PA, guess I will have to bring my oldtimer from now on.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#18]
The 007 knife. THE knife to carry to school in 3rd grade, which was about when knife fights started. Harley Flanagan was a tiny guy, practically a dwarf, so that is why the knife seemed so big.

https://axischemicals.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/nyc-history-the-007-knife/

Also recall the K98 bought from comic book ads and replica Bucks carried in an upside down leather sheath for quick release.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top