User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:12:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So if you caught someone with a handgun, not otherwise doing anything wrong, and asked if he had a permit, and if he said, "No, I don't," then you would not arrest him and/or confiscate the gun?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually, some cops swear an oath to uphold the Constitution, and the constitution of the state of NY.  And, officers have discretion when it comes to enforcing laws.  The Penal Law states, with exceptions such as domestic related crimes, criminal contempt, etc, that officers MAY arrest when certain circumstances exist.

When laws conflict each other, I like to side with the Constitution, especially the rights enumerated in the amendments, supported by reason, and Natural Law.

So if you caught someone with a handgun, not otherwise doing anything wrong, and asked if he had a permit, and if he said, "No, I don't," then you would not arrest him and/or confiscate the gun?

I have............one thing.......Id run the numbers to make sure it wasn't stolen
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:27:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most often you see this sort of thing from new residents who moved into the state without getting a permit
Generally the past practice has been to have them turn in the handguns under amnesty while they apply for a permit
Once they have the permit the guns are returned to them.
The known criminals who run around with handguns getting caught with them don't get that option, obviously
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:07:20 AM EDT
[#3]
What if it wasn't a new resident? What if it was someone who believed that the permit system was evil and unconstitutional?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What if it wasn't a new resident? What if it was someone who believed that the permit system was evil and unconstitutional?
View Quote

I am directing the witness not to answer that question.  It could be used to incriminate him and violates his rights under the 5th Amendment.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have............one thing.......Id run the numbers to make sure it wasn't stolen
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually, some cops swear an oath to uphold the Constitution, and the constitution of the state of NY.  And, officers have discretion when it comes to enforcing laws.  The Penal Law states, with exceptions such as domestic related crimes, criminal contempt, etc, that officers MAY arrest when certain circumstances exist.

When laws conflict each other, I like to side with the Constitution, especially the rights enumerated in the amendments, supported by reason, and Natural Law.

If this person wasn't doing anything wrong otherwise, how did his handgun come to my attention?

I guess the closest anecdotal incident I have is when I worked in traffic.  After stopping a few cars, I've had the driver tell me they have a gun in the car.  They volunteered their permit, , I wasn't fishing.  I told them to leave it where it is, not to touch it, during our encounter.  Their gun wasn't a part of the stop, didn't want to finger fuck it, unload it, etc.
Ok, there was a call to a residence, disturbance or fight or something.  There was a pistol sitting on the couch.  Nobody there, or who lived there had a permit.  Gun was turned for safekeeping, no arrest made.
You know why?  Because 'MURICA!!!!11!
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe the permit system is unconstitutional.

Only way you are getting jammed up by me is if you commit another crime with the gun........like robbery, burglary, etc.........
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess it's safe to assume that you guys aren't state troopers?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Guys, just be smart, period.  A lot of LEOs don't like the law but some will enforce it.

Would u walk into a lions den with a fat raw steak tied to your hip??
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Guys, just be smart, period.  A lot of LEOs don't like the law but some will enforce it.

View Quote

ALL IN!
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#10]
^ mmmmmmm skirt steak
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I guess it's safe to assume that you guys aren't state troopers?
View Quote

I'm not a State Trooper.......but I know plenty of Troopers who share the same ideology that I do.........just as well I know plenty of local Police Officers, Sheriff Deputies, and Troopers who are either indifferent or actual support the Safe act law.  

Albeit.......most LEOs don't want to touch the Safe act with a 50' pole unless they are forced to by someone who leaves them little choice: Armed Robbery, Murder, manslaughter, menacing......etc.  

Be mindful, and unless you personally know the LEO, I wouldn't trust how they would react to a violation of the Safe act........you just can't be 100% sure who you are interacting with and its better to lean on the side of caution.

I don't really know what else to say other than wait until the courts ruling.......or move to a more 2A friendly state.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtmFI4oOaS81X_2ZI9xmqoQj0rHncERrWvXS2SN1Jzp59F6lnN

ALL IN!

She's done!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top