Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2015 1:24:11 PM EDT
My public library is hosting a Pistol class with an NRA certified instructor. Another instructor just told us that under the SAFE ACT he can not bring any guns onto the property or he can be arrested under this section of the law:.

265.01-a Criminal possession of a weapon on school grounds.

Apparently the state considers a public library to be a school?

Anyone want to make comments? Help is appreciated!

EDIT: The question is not urgent anymore. Its being worked on.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
A library isn't a school.  Even if it was, as long has he was invitied, it's ok.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The second instructor is claiming that most instructors are not aware that the Safe Act has this provision; he was told a public library is not a school, and insists that the SAFE ACT prohibits bringing guns to it even with permission.

My understanding is that school officials are no longer given the power to exempt firearms via written permission from the school property exclusion. The SAFE ACT made it illegal to bring firearms onto school property.

Neither are Public Libraries considered educational institutions under sate law. Not even school district public libraries.

But it would be nice to have this clarified.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Contact your town/city/county district attorneys office. The DA is the one who decides what to prosecute.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm an attorney and if I was him I wouldn't risk it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Contact your town/city/county district attorneys office. The DA is the one who decides what to prosecute.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'd look for another venue and at the very least I'd would have it in writing.

I know events with firearms present have been held on School grounds; this on NYSRPA's web site:
February 11, 2014 (readMedia) -- The New York State Rifle & Pistol Association is pleased to announce that it is partnering with the Sullivan County Chamber of Commerce, The Sullivan County Visitors Association, Friends with Firearms andSUNY Sullivan to host a Sports Expo at SUNY Sullivan on Saturday, March 22, 2014 from 8:00am to 8:00pm.

On display will be vendors for all forms of outdoor recreation including shooting, hunting and fishing. There will be youth oriented booths and exotic animal displays for the entire family to enjoy. Food will be available and various raffles and demonstrations will take place throughout the day. Local elected officials will be on hand to discuss the SAFE Act and other issues.

In addition, NYSRPA will be conducting a voter education and registration drive. Attendees can stop by the registration booth to register to vote and obtain additional voter registration form
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:42:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Plattekill library?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Plattekill library?
View Quote

Yes. August 1st.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Good guess.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#9]
The real question is, if he's in a library, he's definitely not discharging any firearms. Wouldn't a blue prop gun be the answer to all of this?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The only answer is to move out of this fucked up state so we can get on with our normal lives.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Since no one taking the class has an NY permit, they cant even handle a real handgun.  The best option for him would be to get some higher quality airsoft replicas to use in his class.  They even make revolvers that take cartridges.  People can fondle them all they want to, and the safety features are the same.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Since no one taking the class has an NY permit, they cant even handle a real handgun. The best option for him would be to get some higher quality airsoft replicas to use in his class.  They even make revolvers that take cartridges.  People can fondle them all they want to, and the safety features are the same.
View Quote

Actually they can handle a handgun under the tutelage of an Instructor, else you'd have a "catch-22"  
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:21:21 AM EDT
[#13]
If in doubt, at least have him get written permission from the library.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#14]
It may be a moot point. It's in the Town's building on the first floor, the library is the second floor.

These comments have been helpful. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#15]
A library is NOT school under NYS Law.  That law absolutely does NOT apply to a library.  It is completely legal.  If he is really that afraid, he can always get written permission from whoever runs the library, but it is not needed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:21:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Only a school library could be a school. The regular libraries are their own entity
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#17]
The class took place yesterday. There are now 10 more people in the process of getting their licenses.

They were all beginners at any kind of firearms. One guy had one rifle and one shotgun for hunting. The rest were socker moms, blue collar workers and a college student.  Most had never seen a handgun close up, let alone touched one. Ammo too, was a new experience for them.

Major questions afterward were how do I buy a gun, where can I join a range, etc. everyone agreed that gun laws don't stop crime, only us from having a gun. The instructor did a credible job and managed to keep their interest up while hitting all the safety points and making them think.

I see an increase in NRA membership coming.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The class took place yesterday. There are now 10 more people in the process of getting their licenses.

They were all beginners at any kind of firearms. One guy had one rifle and one shotgun for hunting. The rest were socker moms, blue collar workers and a college student.  Most had never seen a handgun close up, let alone touched one. Ammo too, was a new experience for them.

Major questions afterward were how do I buy a gun, where can I join a range, etc. everyone agreed that gun laws don't stop crime, only us from having a gun. The instructor did a credible job and managed to keep their interest up while hitting all the safety points and making them think.

I see an increase in NRA membership coming.
View Quote
Thank you and him for the effort!  Great job

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top