Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2015 12:18:35 PM EDT
Here's a group of Counties in Northern California & Southern Oregon that ARE moving to become the 51st State.
http://www.soj51.net/issues.html
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Parts of northern California have been trying to leave for longer than we've been alive. Hasn't quite happened.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Frankly I think you will have a better chance of seeing DC become a state before you see a new state formed from existing states.  Of course, if/when DC becomes a state, that will be two permanent Democrat seats in the Senate and one permanent Democrat seat in the House.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#3]
won't happen for us...   there are red counties with largely republican followings that don't want this to happen.. or claim it can't be done...  
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#4]
...Istanbul was Constantinople...
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#6]
The guys in CA make a very good point of their lack of representation both in the State House and in Congress. They're fighting for it and have an incredibly large support within their own counties, it's the State that refuses to relinquish.
I'm not suggesting that it'll be easy or happen any time soon, only that there are others out there suffering our plight and actually doing something about it.
NYC clearly determines the fate of people five hundred miles away, which IMHO isn't fair representation...it was that taxation without representation thing that drove our independence from England.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Our Republicans make Democrats in red states look like John Birchers.

In Otsego County, the GOP chairman is all excited about running an anti-fracking Republican for the county board.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Our Republicans make Democrats in red states look like John Birchers.

In Otsego County, the GOP chairman is all excited about running an anti-fracking Republican for the county board.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Frankly I think you will have a better chance of seeing DC become a state before you see a new state formed from existing states.  Of course, if/when DC becomes a state, that will be two permanent Democrat seats in the Senate and one permanent Democrat seat in the House.
View Quote

We don't need a new state. We just need NYC to become like federal district like DC.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#10]
If this happened I would seriously consider moving back. I grew up in upstate.
But Florida suits me better now. Can't stand the liberal commie politics in NYC and Albany.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But Florida suits me better now. Can't stand the liberal commie politics in NYC and Albany.
View Quote

All the old liberal bastards are moving to FL and taking their whiny liberal attitudes with them.  It is only a matter of time till they corrupt your State too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All the old liberal bastards are moving to FL and taking their whiny liberal attitudes with them.  It is only a matter of time till they corrupt your State too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like cancer, it (liberalism) is spreading.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're kidding, right?  The Dutch "discovered" what we call New York (remember Peter Stuyvesant paid the equivalent of $24 for Manhattan) and called it New Amsterdam.  Eventually the English came in and pushed the Dutch out, changing New Amsterdam to New York in 1664.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You're kidding, right?  The Dutch "discovered" what we call New York (remember Peter Stuyvesant paid the equivalent of $24 for Manhattan) and called it New Amsterdam.  Eventually the English came in and pushed the Dutch out, changing New Amsterdam to New York in 1664.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your fun-meter needs to be recalibrated  
[youtube]http://youtu.be/AEZOoMqA3hg[/youtube]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Growing up in FL we had three classifications:
Yankees: visit and go home.
Damn Yankees: spend the Winter and go home.
God Damn Yankees:  visit then stay.  

The South we grew up in no longer exsists.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/AEZOoMqA3hg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry about he lack of sense of humor.  I run into kids now (and some adults) who know absolutely nothing about history such that I am primed to respond when I see such comments.  The fact that many young adults cannot even name the three branches of government but can tell you who the last winner of American Idol was speaks volumes.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sorry about he lack of sense of humor.  I run into kids now (and some adults) who know absolutely nothing about history such that I am primed to respond when I see such comments.  The fact that many young adults cannot even name the three branches of government but can tell you who the last winner of American Idol was speaks volumes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too easy:

The Presedential branch
The Congressional branch
The Senate branch

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Too easy:

The Presidential branch
The Congressional branch
The Senate branch

View Quote

PLEASE tell me the answer was in jest.

Executive (President)
Legislative (Congress)
Judicial (Supreme Court)
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Executive (President)
Legislative (Congress)
Judicial (Supreme Court)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too easy:

The Presidential branch
The Congressional branch
The Senate branch

Executive (President)
Legislative (Congress)
Judicial (Supreme Court)

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Executive (President)
Legislative (Congress)
Judicial (Supreme Court)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too easy:

The Presidential branch
The Congressional branch
The Senate branch

Executive (President)
Legislative (Congress)
Judicial (Supreme Court)

It's like the three R's

Reading
Riting
R-ithmatic
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Executive (President)
Legislative (Congress)
Judicial (Supreme Court)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too easy:

The Presidential branch
The Congressional branch
The Senate branch

Executive (President)
Legislative (Congress)
Judicial (Supreme Court)

You guys are screwing this all up, it's:

Tyranny branch
Treachery branch
Disingenuous  branch
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#22]
We should convince Vermont and PA to start annexing parts of upstate.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#23]
If NYC did become a district like DC, they would have no representation in congress, correct?  If so, it's big plus.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#26]
The agreement to move the United States Capitol from New York City to DC in 1790 was a major blessing for New York.  By splitting the political capitol from the financial capitol, the latter had the freedom to grow.  Canada has a similar situation.  The political capitol is Ottawa but the financial capitol is Toronto (Bay Street as opposed to New York's Wall Street).  
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#27]
But NYC and DC are both liberal meccas now.  Should combine them again.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top