Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2015 11:08:23 AM EDT
There is a rather unsavory individual living upstate that I have had the displeasure to be ripped off by.

After years of researching this con's past and contacting former friends, colleagues, employers and creditors there is an alarming repetition of rip-offs.    This includes running up credit cards and not paying, not paying rent until evicted, borrowing money and not repaying it, borrowing cars and not returning them, borrowing credit cards "to buy groceries" then keeping the card and running it up to thousands of dollars,  when employed using company cards to pay for lavish weekends and drinking, stealing cash, taking full payment for contracts and not delivering, etc.

Of course, said con hides money- doesn't keep it in the bank, doesn't declare most of it on taxes (in fact is on public assistance), tries to take payment in cash or run it through another entity so it doesn't show up on taxes, etc.

Most of the people/ companies this person has ripped off write it off as a one-time mistake.  Some are at risk of losing their jobs for loaning government and/or company assets so won't do anything; some are simply embarrassed.   All believed that they were unique, individual victims.

But I've closed some loops.  Now some of them know that they are not alone.  And that makes them really POd.  

I'm reaching out and urging the victims to file charges and/or court judgements.   A couple already have.

Other than that- how to warn people in our community?  I was thinking about a Facebook page SoandSoRippedMeOff and posting the documents I have that show what this con has done.

Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Reach out to DAs and local media in the person's area. They usually love those stories and will fact check then run the story.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Craigslist rant? Without knowing the exact details, I cant really tell you how to go about this.  But there ALWAYS is a way!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reach out to DAs and local media in the person's area. They usually love those stories and will fact check then run the story.
View Quote

The DA (and I'll add, IRS) might be a good angle.

But the media fact checking anything?  LOL.   When are they going to start doing that?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#4]
That is no way to speak of Il Deuce.

Hes scammed his way to be Governor Tyrant of the Communist state of NY.  

Next he will want the clowns job in the oval office.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:  (in fact is on public assistance),
View Quote

Contact the welfare fraud investigator in the county he is receiving benefits from.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Contact the welfare fraud investigator in the county he is receiving benefits from.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  (in fact is on public assistance),

Oh, that's a good one.   Unclaimed income, of which I have hard evidence, probably of real interest to the county fraud investigator as well as IRS.

So far a couple great ideas.

Anybody else?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Two in the chest, one in the head.

Of course, I'm not clarifying what would be going in, could be marshmallows, could be fluffy cotton balls.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#8]
"lending credit cards to buy groceries" and "borrowing cars and not returning them"

Who the hell lends somebody a credit card to buy groceries, and who doesn't report a car stolen when it is not returned?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"lending credit cards to buy groceries" and "borrowing cars and not returning them"

Who the hell lends somebody a credit card to buy groceries, and who doesn't report a car stolen when it is not returned?
View Quote

NY voters?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#10]
"Hire up a couple a hard hittin mother F'ers to get midevil on his ass......"

...at least that's what they do in the movies....
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"Hire up a couple a hard hittin mother F'ers to get midevil on his ass......"

...at least that's what they do in the movies....
View Quote

The TV version maybe. We hire Pipe Hitters
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.William Shakespeare, "Hamlet", Act 1 scene 3
View Quote

I believe it's called the silk road to the Dark 'net where anything can be had for a price.....
The Mafia would have a coupe goons help him find his wallet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#14]
One word: BACKHOE
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Seems like every county has one or two of those.

I remember dealing with one through work.  He and his family were squatting in a house on a farm.  The old farmer apparently had rented it to him or was conned into letting him stay there.  After the old farmer passed the no good sob put a lien on the house, filed or kept some false contracts etc for life use.  He was also a thieving type of metal scrapper.  

Amazingly in a few years there was a house fire.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Most of these have already been covered

1) AGs office -fraud task force
2) DAs office

3) local PD or State PD. Try to talk with someone on a fraud task force

4) Civil Lawsuits

I'm assuming those who lent their card to him got stuffed with the bills, the Banks can provide the details to LE with a subpoena. Most Bank investigators should work closely with LE if they took a loss or were also a victim. I know I have.

The trick will be finding a motivated LE agency. I doubt IRS will be interwsted criminally but maybe civility. Again find a motivated member of Criminal Investigations to give that guy a call.

The more you can offer to LE the more likely someone will do anything with it. The smaller the agency the better. I've talked to larger agencies where I had a suspect, over $50K in losses and video proof of the suspect and was told it would be throw on the stack. Sell it to LE by telling them how much this guy stole and go from there. Provide the names on contact info of all the suspects and have them contact the same detective.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
I see the former all of the time at work. Nothing the CC company and/or bank will do about it.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I see the former all of the time at work. Nothing the CC company and/or bank will do about it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I've been reading, the loan only extends so far, after that it's theft.  And stolen money is taxable and counts toward income so far as welfare is concerned.

Other interesting discoveries:
*  An unpaid loan (not an active loan w/ balance, but a loan that is no longer being paid on) is considered income
*  A gift is NOT taxable so long as it is for a specific purpose (eg buying a car) but IS taxable if it's not for a defined purpose (eg. just giving somebody $500 to "get by")
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
From what I've been reading, the loan only extends so far, after that it's theft.  And stolen money is taxable and counts toward income so far as welfare is concerned.

*  An unpaid loan (not an active loan w/ balance, but a loan that is no longer being paid on) is considered income

*  A gift is NOT taxable so long as it is for a specific purpose (eg buying a car) but IS taxable if it's not for a defined purpose (eg. just giving somebody $500 to "get by")
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless we are talking big bucks good luck getting IRS criminal to take a look. You'll have better luck with the civil side.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Terrorist watch-list?

It's just a phone call away
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Terrorist watch-list?

It's just a phone call away
View Quote

I have no intent on abusing the law.  I just want the illegal ripoff activities to stop.   I can show undeclared income, and willful tax evasion ($300).   There's a lot more, but I'm hoping IRS and Welfare would do their homework, subpoena records, and get the information;  that said, I have little confidence in government agencies to do much work on this.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:Unless we are talking big bucks good luck getting IRS criminal to take a look.
View Quote

>$50,000 before they will even talk to you on the phone last time I checked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top