Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2015 8:40:24 AM EDT
Looking to take my registered rifle to a range in the Westchester area for the first time since I panic-purchased it a couple years ago
Any suggestions where to go? Willing to travel a bit to a nice range and avoid headaches and strange looks
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#1]
We don't know anything about "registered rifles" here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Blue Mountain is the only range in Westchester for rifle shooting, other than a couple of indoor ranges - one in Mt Vernon, another in Elmsford. But those are short and expensive.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm upstate - have never shot in that area. How far is Calverton?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Very far and you have to travel through NYC to get there. Not recommended.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry. My downstate geography is shoddy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#6]
If you have to and feel comfortable driving through NYC take a ride up to Davis off of rt 17.  100 yd range, in doors.  Great ppl behind the counter also from my experience.  Probably a hike for you but make the most of the day, gander mt is on the way up and hit off a restaurant on the way up or down.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you have to and feel comfortable driving through NYC take a ride up to Davis off of rt 17.  100 yd range, in doors.  Great ppl behind the counter also from my experience.  Probably a hike for you but make the most of the day, gander mt is on the way up and hit off a restaurant on the way up or down.
View Quote

If you are coming from Westchester, you would not have to drive through NYC to get to Davis.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looking to take my registered rifle to a range in the Westchester area for the first time since I panic-purchased it a couple years ago
Any suggestions where to go? Willing to travel a bit to a nice range and avoid headaches and strange looks
View Quote

Enjoy that "registered" rifle while you can I guess...won't be long before NY decides to outlaw and confiscate all registered "assault weapons."
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Where are you coming from?  Makes it easier to help you locate stuff.

BTW, is Wooster in Danbury off limits now??

ETA: Yes, and enjoy your registered rifle
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Your pretty much SOL. Assuming that its 5.56 you can shoot it at Blue Line Tac in Elmsford.  However, BL is expensive ($20 per day plus $25 per hour) and only 25yds.  But you can load up your 10 round mags and shoot away.  rtsmokengun in Mt Vermin said  that they might let you shoot 5.56 on the weekends, maybe?  I'm sure they aren't any longer than 25 yds either.  Blue Mountain in Cortland Manor is a county owned range with longer distance but they hate EBRs and want you to load 1 round in a mag, shooting it then reload 1 round...  I occasionally went to a range in CT but now EBRs are banned there to so we are SOL.  I'm hoping to achieve escape velocity from this prison state after my kids finish HS.  
If you come up with anything better please let me know.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the responses everyone
I am already in Westchester so I won't have to travel through the city
Looking like Davis is my best bet.
In your experiences are they are okay with ARs? Any special regulations there or anything I should know of?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses everyone
I am already in Westchester so I won't have to travel through the city
Looking like Davis is my best bet.
In your experiences are they are okay with ARs? Any special regulations there or anything I should know of?
View Quote

I don't know how they are with EBR, but your registered so.....  I went a few months ago with a GSR and a SCR ( closest thing to an EBR without registering) and no one had a problem.  As a matter of fact I let one of the guys behind the counter test it out after BSing for a bit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#13]
My post above was made at 5:56, must be an omen!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Just shot my ar at Davis last week.  No problems at all.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Wooster mtn in Danbury for the win.

20$ a day plus frame fee

or

putnam co fish & game club

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#16]
or go to pa and get a range license 30.00 for a year limit is 3 rounds in a rifle. This is for there state ranges. Pistol range is 6 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:58:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wooster mtn in Danbury for the win.

20$ a day plus frame fee

or

putnam co fish & game club

View Quote

I'm a member there for close to 10 years, love it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#18]
How much is the membership? Can a non-member shoot for a fee?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How much is the membership? Can a non-member shoot for a fee?
View Quote

The family membership is close to 225 a year I believe, 100 less if you put in your hours.  You can shoot with a member for 10 $ for the day.  That's the best way to see if it's a place you'd like or not.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Davis is cool and they've never blinked an eye at my rifle. The only thing is that you have to shoot slowly sitting down and you can only load five rounds at a time. Not great for tactical practice but it does make for a nice, climate controlled, relaxing target practice session.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top