User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because they are the ones that informed me that I had to do the nics check even thought it is my brother. I just got of the phone with the police gun guy. According to him I can use each nics check for that set of transactions. In other words, if I could line up 3 people to all meet me at the county clerks office, I could do those 3 transactions on the one nics check. If it's two separate days then I would need two separate nics checks.
View Quote

When the NICS check is called in the NICS center asks the FFL how many checks they are conducting.
You can't do a NICS check one day and file it away for use a day or two later on another FFL transaction, which is the way it sounded to me when I read the other post
Yeah the whole NICS check thing for dual listed  handguns is ( I think ) a fairly new development
I heard about it from our permit folks last month and I flat out told them I wasn't doing NICS checks on guns that aren't on my books. They seem to think some FFLs are doing that.
So I am not sure how the permit folks are expecting a permit holder who wants to dual list a handgun with another family member to take the gun to an FFL and get a NICS checks
Whole thing would have/ could have been avoided if Spitzer had just played nice with the Feds and we still had NICS exemptions for permit holders
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Average turn around with my judge for an amendment is 10 days.. last one took 12, but was signed 5 days after I submitted it.... There apparently was a little lag in the office mailing it back out
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Your county clerk is running NICS checks? So you aren't handling sales through an FFL and a 4473?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...... I just called my county clerk to ask them if I get a nics check done to obtain my brothers gun, can I use it for another gun as well or can I use that one nics check for a certain amount of time. They had no idea and referred me to the local state police gun branch. So basically the people enforcing the rules have no idea what they are. Classic.

Why would you expect the pistol permit folks to have that information on a Federal instant check program.
The NICS check is for a particular transaction.
You can't "re-use" it for a completely different transaction at another time.

Because they are the ones that informed me that I had to do the nics check even thought it is my brother. I just got of the phone with the police gun guy. According to him I can use each nics check for that set of transactions. In other words, if I could line up 3 people to all meet me at the county clerks office, I could do those 3 transactions on the one nics check. If it's two separate days then I would need two separate nics checks.

Your county clerk is running NICS checks? So you aren't handling sales through an FFL and a 4473?

Negative. I still have to go to an ffl and get it done. My question was based upon getting multiple transactions done at one time or seeing if one nics check was good for multiple occasions if used in a certain time frame. As I live about 25 miles from my county clerk and work another 15 in the wrong direction you can imagine how easy it is for me to get to the county clerk from 9-5 Monday through Friday. Even the guy I talked to from the police said its all based on making it as difficult as possible for people to transfer guns private sale.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Just a heads up my buddy is doing his Onondaga permit, the wait is now 1month for paperwork drop off

Last year it was over a year
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
You Have to schedule a drop off time, at points it's was a 2 year wait just for that...
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You Have to schedule a drop off time, at points it's was a 2 year wait just for that...
View Quote

That's ridiculous
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:07:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Anywhere from 3 months to a year....Onondaga has gotten significantly better.....but bank on a sportsmens right out of the gate
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Got a call Wednesday, he had talked to everybody except my girlfriend, according to him all references gave good reports. Later that day he talked to her. Now it's back to the waiting game.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#11]
After reference calls fast forward two weeks I received a letter telling me that I was approved and my permit would be mailed shortly, two more weeks later the actual permit arrived.  Monroe county also but 2008, My whole process was about 7 months.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Went to a shop Friday to see if they had the model I want. They had a new and a used one, slept on it and talked with my gf, went back Sat, and left a deposit on the new one. Gonna make payments until the permit comes in, then pay it off and buy some ammo.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Start thinking outside of the box. There is no need for a "coupon" system. That's only there to add another layer of aggravation to discourage people from buying guns. If you have a permit, you can buy a gun. You then have 10 days to add online or in person to your permit. It's all going to an online system anyways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go to an online system where you can add or remove guns via an online program. No need to have someone staffing a desk handling that.

I doubt there's a way to do that effectively on-line.

After all, the buyer has to present an original receipt that gets copied and entered into the buyer permit folder, the buyer gets issued the coupon at the window...it takes people to do all of those steps

Start thinking outside of the box. There is no need for a "coupon" system. That's only there to add another layer of aggravation to discourage people from buying guns. If you have a permit, you can buy a gun. You then have 10 days to add online or in person to your permit. It's all going to an online system anyways.

Forget that.  Let's REALLY start thinking outside the box.  In other words, copy what most of the United States of America are doing.  What a unique and great idea!  

I know it's hard for native New Yorkers to understand, but this handgun purchase/ownership/carry permit system IS NOT NORMAL !  

In the vast majority of states you DO NOT NEED A PERMIT simply to purchase a handgun, or any gun.  A simple background check suffices, just like purchasing a shotgun here.  You DO NOT NEED A PERMIT "COUPON" (who came up with that shit?) each time you want to buy a new handgun.  You DO NOT NEED A PERMIT to own a handgun in your own home!  Many states DO require a permit to carry it concealed, BUT NOT ALL!  

I know.  Hard to believe.  Stop pretending that this system is normal.  Fight it and the bullshit bureaucracy behind it every step of the way.  Spend some time in free states to see what this place SHOULD be like.  

These permit threads are sad stories about how we, the supposed "citizens," get jacked around by worthless bureaucrats and power-hungry judges.  Believe me, I understand the permit nightmare here.  I've tried to deal with it.  But don't buy the BS that this is "required" or "for your own safety" or "to save just one child's life."  That is nothing but nanny state propaganda.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Got a call Wednesday, he had talked to everybody except my girlfriend, according to him all references gave good reports. Later that day he talked to her. Now it's back to the waiting game.
View Quote

They required a conversation with your girlfriend? Did you list her as one of your four references?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They required a conversation with your girlfriend? Did you list her as one of your four references?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what she said, he just asked a couple questions like does she know I'm applying and basically using her as a 5th reference. You aren't allowed to list anybody you're related to or in a relationship with as a normal reference, but I can see why they would want to talk with them. It made for an interesting talk with one of her friends/co workers  when she got a call to talk with the deputy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

From what she said, he just asked a couple questions like does she know I'm applying and basically using her as a 5th reference. You aren't allowed to list anybody you're related to or in a relationship with as a normal reference, but I can see why they would want to talk with them. It made for an interesting talk with one of her friends/co workers  when she got a call to talk with the deputy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did they know she was your girlfriend?  Are they doing a full security clearance check on you?

This is the kind of bullshit I am talking about in my post above.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How did they know she was your girlfriend?  Are they doing a full security clearance check on you?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the application it asks if you're married/divorced/singe/dating/widow(er) and then asks the persons name/contact info.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

On the application it asks if you're married/divorced/singe/dating/widow(er) and then asks the persons name/contact info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf????
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View Quote

Dating?  Really?  
Unless you were on an actual date when you were completing your application, maybe you should have said, "no."
I mean, because you've dated someone in the past (even last week), they have the right to start the inquisition on that person?
What if you "broke up" with the girl the day before you completed the application, and then went to the movies the day after?  Were you "dating" her at that time?  
This is an infringement on your (and your girlfriend's) rights.  

I hope that is becoming painfully clear.
ETA:  do they disinter the body of your dead wife for questioning if you
are a widower?  I mean, it's necessary to find out if you are a good
guy, right?

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#20]
It's the Monroe County questionnaire. I don't care if they talk to her, she knows I put in the application and she was thinking about putting in for hers. I could have put single or when he called, told him we broke up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It's the Monroe County questionnaire. I don't care if they talk to her, she knows I put in the application and she was thinking about putting in for hers. I could have put single or when he called, told him we broke up.
View Quote

Look, I'm not trying to pick on you.  You did what you think is right to get your permit asap.

My point is, by submitting to all of this you unwittingly make it easier for them to put even more restrictions and privacy infringements in place.  Maybe the next applications asks if you've had premarital sex with your girlfriend.  Or if you've ever raised your voice to her in an angry fashion.  Understand how this works?  

I would have done everything possible to withhold that information (about your girlfriend) and still maintain the essence of truthfulness.  

It's none of their fucking business if you are dating someone, want to date someone, or merely have the hots for someone.  Use the vagueness of the question against them.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It wasn't in the Monroe County application when I applied...10 years ago.

Hell that isn't even in the NYC pistol permit application.

Talk about an invasion of privacy...Why do they need to question someone you are dating?? Or anyone for that matter.

The required character references need to be tossed out by the courts. Such bullshit...as if having friends that are pro gun is a requirement to get a pistol permit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I know it's hard for native New Yorkers to understand, but this handgun purchase/ownership/carry permit system IS NOT NORMAL !  

In the vast majority of states you DO NOT NEED A PERMIT simply to purchase a handgun, or any gun.  A simple background check suffices, just like purchasing a shotgun here.  You DO NOT NEED A PERMIT "COUPON" (who came up with that shit?) each time you want to buy a new handgun.  You DO NOT NEED A PERMIT to own a handgun in your own home!  Many states DO require a permit to carry it concealed, BUT NOT ALL!  

I know.  Hard to believe.  Stop pretending that this system is normal.  Fight it and the bullshit bureaucracy behind it every step of the way.  Spend some time in free states to see what this place SHOULD be like.  

These permit threads are sad stories about how we, the supposed "citizens," get jacked around by worthless bureaucrats and power-hungry judges.  Believe me, I understand the permit nightmare here.  I've tried to deal with it.  But don't buy the BS that this is "required" or "for your own safety" or "to save just one child's life."  That is nothing but nanny state propaganda.  

View Quote

You can preach all you want here
The reality is that NYS will never appreciably change its permit system thanks to the NYC influence on state laws.
if anything the state is being dragged towards NYC levels of restrictions because of the dominance of NYC in state politics.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#24]
At least we know what it's like to live in East Germany.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The reality is that NYS will never appreciably change its permit system thanks to the NYC influence on state laws.

if anything the state is being dragged towards NYC levels of restrictions because of the dominance of NYC in state politics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not just preaching.  I want New Yorkers in the gun community to start questioning these tyrannical practices and raising a stink rather than just rolling over as we've done for the past 100 years.  
But...but...TEOTWAWKI, if I raise a stink they will put my app at the bottom of the pile, or I might not get it.  
Yup.  That's the risk.  The other option is to continue to submit whenever this state thinks it can pry into your private life for no valid reason.  And let's face it--the references part of the process is just a pretext for privacy invasion and obstruction of an exercise of right.
But...but...TEOTWAWKI, those bureaucrats are not the problem, they are just doing their job.
They are part of the problem because they don't do anything on their end to eliminate or streamline this ridiculous process.  Can't rock the boat, you know.  
The hurdles we need to jump over and the maze of bureaucracy together with the inconsistent requirements from county to county is staggeringly insane.  Not to mention the fact that nearly every jurisdiction exceeds the legal timeframe for issuance (ignoring the fact that there should be no requirement in the first place).  Tell any gunowner in a free state what you have to do to get a simple POSSESSION permit in New York and they will laugh like you must be joking.  
You are right--it probably will not get changed barring some miraculous court case, but rolling over and letting the slave owner whip you again isn't the answer either.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm not just preaching.  I want New Yorkers in the gun community to start questioning these tyrannical practices and raising a stink rather than just rolling over as we've done for the past 100 years.  

View Quote

If the SAFE act wasn't enough to solidify the gun community in NY nothing will, certainly not the permit system.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

If the SAFE act wasn't enough to solidify the gun community in NY nothing will, certainly not the permit system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.  Just give up and keep bending over then.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Just an update bump.

Going on two months since I've heard from the MC Sheriff, no new communications.

So far I've left a deposit and one additional payment on a pistol and purchased 50 rounds of hollow points.

I've also looked into two classes at Rochester Personal Defense. One I can take now and the other has to wait until I get the permit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're both exempt from that stupid law. Doesn't mean we wouldn't rally behind a movement to throw all these junk laws out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Fuck NY
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Just in case your on the fence on moving.

In Georgia, you can buy a handgun over the counter without a permit  just like buying any other firearm.  You need state ID, andof course you NICS, but go into store, pick out pistol, pay - and bring home.  If you want a concealed carry permit, its about a few hours of paperwork and takes about 2 weeks to  get back inthe mail.

NY just sucks - 15 months to get permission to buy a gun WTF?  The Federal governemnt does a comprehensive background check instantly - they know your not a felon, etc. instantly.  The state has draconian laws - Do yourself a favor and consider moving!  Glad I did.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
East Germany had a stronger economy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At least we know what it's like to live in East Germany.
East Germany had a stronger economy

And the trains & bus ran on time.......
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In Georgia, you can buy a handgun over the counter without a permit  just like buying any other firearm.  You need state ID, andof course you NICS, but go into store, pick out pistol, pay - and bring home.  If you want a concealed carry permit, its about a few hours of paperwork and takes about 2 weeks to  get back inthe mail.

NY just sucks - 15 months to get permission to buy a gun WTF?  The Federal governemnt does a comprehensive background check instantly - they know your not a felon, etc. instantly.  The state has draconian laws - Do yourself a favor and consider moving!  Glad I did.
View Quote

Moving to SC. If I had known it was going to take this long I probably would have waited.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, if you pay attention to the anti's arguments, they've been beating the drum for a year or more that the instant checks miss a lot of people, particularly the mentally ill and some convictions due to incomplete state records.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, it looks like my saga is almost over. Got a letter in the mail Saturday from the judge saying my application has been approved and my permit should be in the mail in a few weeks. Won't be here in time for the Rochester (Hemlock) show this weekend, but at least it's almost over.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:09:44 AM EDT
[#38]
I grew up in Scottsville (just south of Rochester) and went to the Monroe County Gun Show with my Dad as a kid.  I really feel for all of you stuck behind the lines up there.  Hell, I didn't even realize until I moved that pistol permits were a NY thing.  I figured that was the way it was everywhere.  18 months to get a permit to buy a handgun... ugh!

Anyways, keep fighting the good fight y'all.  You've a lot of people who have your back, even if we aren't there in person.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 5:50:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well, it looks like my saga is almost over. Got a letter in the mail Saturday from the judge saying my application has been approved and my permit should be in the mail in a few weeks. Won't be here in time for the Rochester (Hemlock) show this weekend, but at least it's almost over.
View Quote

Wow sorry to hear it took so long.

Do you know what you got?
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#40]
The letter didn't mention anything about restrictions so I'm guessing I hot full carry like I put in for.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The letter didn't mention anything about restrictions so I'm guessing I hot full carry like I put in for.
View Quote

You won't know until you get there.  Here in Onondaga they just state you're approved and pick it up and then Surprise- it's sportsman.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You won't know until you get there.  Here in Onondaga they just state you're approved and pick it up and then Surprise- it's sportsman.  Good luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I've heard Monroe is pretty good about full carry, judge is DeMarco if anybody knows if that will help or not. I wish i could go to the office and pick it up, they send it in the mail and God knows how long that will take.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Monroe County does not restrict permits...they know it is not part of PL400 to restrict, so they do it right.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Monroe County does not restrict permits...they know it is not part of PL400 to restrict, so they do it right.
View Quote

That's good news.  I recently got mine in Onondaga, and the judge went line by line for my reasons for concealed and refuted every single one.  I've been meaning to post it up.  Ironically, at the end, it says you cannot be criminally prosecuted for carrying outside your restrictions.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's good news.  I recently got mine in Onondaga, and the judge went line by line for my reasons for concealed and refuted every single one.  I've been meaning to post it up.  Ironically, at the end, it says you cannot be criminally prosecuted for carrying outside your restrictions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never even talked to the judge, you can the basics of my interactions with the investigator at the start of the thread, but the judge never felt compelled to call me.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#46]
And it's over! Permit arrived today, full carry.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
And it's over! Permit arrived today, full carry.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here in OH. Walk in, pay, and walk out with any firearm/handgun.

Want to carry concealed? Take an 8 hour course, submit your paperwork, and within a week or two you're GTG.

Fuck NY and their arbitrary "restrictions" and "permission" to buy a gun after an 18 month wait.... NJ woman stabbed to death by ex while waiting months for gun permit

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top