Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2015 4:17:13 PM EDT
A state lawmaker who wants to see the SAFE Act repealed is now taking a different approach. State Senator Patrick Gallivan's plan calls to peel back one layer at a time.

Changes Gallivan would like to see include removing the the seven round limit from law, providing exemptions for high-capacity magazines that were owned prior to the implementation of the SAFE Act and implement changes to background checks for ammunition sales.

http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/2015/01/27/wgrz-safe-act-gallivan/22446599/
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#1]
so do i, and i'd like to be 30 years younger as well.  as long as we are dreaming.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish him luck, but it's going to be hard to argue that you had 10+ mags before the ban, got rid of them when they became contraband, and now got them back.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
hes dreaming so you can own standard cap mags but not the weapons go pound salt.

NYS needs to have there own tea party. Instead of dumping tea into the Hudson we dump the elected officials instead.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish him luck, but it's going to be hard to argue that you had 10+ mags before the ban, got rid of them when they became contraband, and now got them back.

View Quote

Pre bans legal again, really pretty easy to date. I'll be calling Pat.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
This man was a NYS Trooper and the Sheriff of Erie County before Senator. I'd say he's got as good a shot as anybody getting his plan working. Not many headlines these days of any of our other elected officials looking out for our interests.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Any Politician willing to stand against un-SAFE is in need of our support.
He has constituents in support of un-SAFE that have to be placated too. therefor the zealotry has to be kept to a minimum.
Now Kathleen Marchione came right out and said the Law was bullshit. Truly, I like leaders that say what they mean and mean what they say.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know.  I have had 30 round mags that are were date stamped 1992.  What I'm saying is that by producing such magazines after they theoretically become legal again, a person would show that they were guilty of posessing them during the Safe Act Ban.

Put another way, there are no legal 10+ magazines in the state right now, so if they suddenly became legal again, where would they come from?    So there are no magazines to grandfather anymore.

Or would this amended law allow you to once again purchase 10+ magazines?

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I know.  I have had 30 round mags that are were date stamped 1992.  What I'm saying is that by producing such magazines after they theoretically become legal again, a person would show that they were guilty of posessing them during the Safe Act Ban.

Put another way, there are no legal 10+ magazines in the state right now, so if they suddenly became legal again, where would they come from?    So there are no magazines to grandfather anymore.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I'm thinking
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's what I'm thinking
View Quote

LOL.  Okay, prebans bought during the first ban for $40 each.

Sold during the Safe Ban for $10 each.

Buy again after the Safe Ban repeal for $50 each.

Sweet!  How could anyone not love New York.

Don't get me wrong, even though I'm not going to be here anymore, I'd be thrilled to hear that this fucked up "law" (I can't call it that without air-quotes) was fixed.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe Arfcommers in free states would show pity, and offer clearance-sale prices on their old steel. Or maybe not!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe Arfcommers in free states would show pity, and offer clearance-sale prices on their old steel. Or maybe not!
View Quote

I tell you guys what!  If this does become law, I will start a thread in the NYHFT giving all my prebans away.

Not going to need them where I'll be!  
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

. For the low low price of triple value, old times would be new again. I had a Colt Govt Carbine small pin lower that cost me $850.00, now it would be valueless.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Technically some people may be able to show a paper trail of when they shipped them out of state, and then brought them back in afterwards.

But still, I don't like that language one bit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I may soon have my own out of state real property interests
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#16]

If the penal code/safe act restriction on 10+ rd mags was repealed, there would be no ban,
pre-ban, post-ban mags there would be only mags, since the safe act abrogated all other previous acts(bans) ... Right?

Regardless of time and place of possession, any further prosecution would be double jeopardy....

FUAC
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If the penal code/safe act restriction on 10+ rd mags was repealed, there would be no ban,
pre-ban, post-ban mags there would be only mags, since the safe act abrogated all other previous acts(bans) ... Right?

Regardless of time and place of possession, any further prosecution would be double jeopardy....

FUAC
View Quote

As in every other fucking law we try to decifer, it's clear as mud and laden with ambiguity and grey areas.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Assembly isn't going to do anything to weaken the safe act and neither is Cuomo

Yet I have an out of state storage locker full of them and other stuff What a waste of money
View Quote

But the Assembly is changing and Cuomo won't be there after April.  

WIth Hoschul as governor and Cuomo, Silver, Libous, Skelos and a host of old-timers gone, maybe some small changes may get through.    And, with the big money brokers gone, anti-SAFE rallies in Albany will have a lot more political clout- heck,  D'Amico won't be harassing anyone, he'll be parking your car!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:47:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Good luck Senator Gallivan, but I don't see it happen.

I'd rather it stay whole or get worse so the USSC actually picks it up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good luck Senator Gallivan, but I don't see it happen.

I'd rather it stay whole or get worse so the USSC actually picks it up.
View Quote

I think we would lose in scouts.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

WIth Hoschul as governor and Cuomo, Silver, Libous, Skelos and a host of old-timers gone, maybe some small changes may get through.    And, with the big money brokers gone, anti-SAFE rallies in Albany will have a lot more political clout- heck,  D'Amico won't be harassing anyone, he'll be parking your car!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Assembly isn't going to do anything to weaken the safe act and neither is Cuomo

Yet I have an out of state storage locker full of them and other stuff What a waste of money

I love reading this scenario, but I highly doubt it. From your lips to Gd's ears, my friend!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

They rarely did before
They always wanted to sell their old stuff to NYers at double what they could get in their hometowns
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:43:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They rarely did before
They always wanted to sell their old stuff to NYers at double what they could get in their hometowns
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They rarely did before

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#24]
So all those $15 magazines I paid $30 for and then sold for $7 or less almost two years ago, I can have those back. Gotcha. Good plan.

Hell as I just kept finding them after the deadline, I got to where I was just giving them away to MA residents. they were thrilled to get them and probably won't want to give them back.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Good luck getting that through the assembly
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#26]
No shortage of sand-filled vajeens up in this thread.

Bitching about how expensive mag's you think will never be allowed again, or how our brothers in arms took advantage of us?

They've succeeded

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have a boxes of stuff in my parents house in VT, and my sisters house in PA.

Why would it be hard to get it back?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would it be hard to get it back?

My fun stuff is down in VA. Problem is going to be it will be no fun shooting 30 rounds out of neutered AR, least I would have all my glock mags back.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine are all .458 socom, they only hold 10 rounds.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, yeah me too.  [wink, wink]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top