Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2015 11:45:22 AM EDT
I am putting together a new build and I want to make sure the new scope I ordered gets properly mounted.  All of my prior scopes have been sub $300 so I always mounted them myself and just eyeballed it lol.

Are there any gunsmiths in Long Island that are good at mounting scopes (lapping the rings, etc)?

What should I expect it to cost?

Or should I just buy my own gear and give it a go myself ~$80?  Once I finish mounting it I can sell it and recoup at least $60.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Jimmy at hunter sports
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:04:16 AM EDT
[#2]
uh me I guess.

Inch pound tq wrench, a lapping kit or tool with compound and then a couple bubble levels or the equivant squared off scope mounting kit....

little loctite perhaps and some witness marks and done and done.

Is this soething people honestly take to a smith to do for them? Not trying ot be a dick but it just sounds silly.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Go watch a couple youtube videos: it's not complicated, and not like you're mounting a thousand dollar scope with ultra precision moa rings. As far as toque: snug, not super tight, with aluminum rings/bases, just run the screws down until they stop,(finger tip pressure) then add another half turn. make sure the knobs are correct: Elevation is on top and windage is on the right (viewed from the eye bell)
Believe me I've seen the "Pro's" mount more than one backwards.  

OK, just re-read the OP
For higher end projects, I can see getting the tools & equipment: I use a padded vise to hold the barrel, then a level attached to the action, and another on the scope itself. Wheeler makes a well priced torque wrench, and as for a lapping bar, well you may or may not need one, still its nice to have if for nothing else but alignment of "turn-in" rings.
Unless you die or loose your gun rights, chances are there'll be "another" project for you to do.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I ended up just buying a plumb bob and a wheeler mounting kit with torque wrench and lapping tools.

The scope I'm remounting is a Sightron SIIISS 8-32x56 LRMD.  I can't use the rings I have it in anymore because I am going to be running a 20moa base which will cause it to touch the barrel with the current rings.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you make an instructional video?

I've only "bubba" mounted scopes with Allen keys and "meh close enough" for leveling. Would be interested to see a better way in case I ever buy a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ended up just buying a plumb bob and a wheeler mounting kit with torque wrench and lapping tools.

The scope I'm remounting is a Sightron SIIISS 8-32x56 LRMD.  I can't use the rings I have it in anymore because I am going to be running a 20moa base which will cause it to touch the barrel with the current rings.

View Quote

How about posting some sort of review on the Sightron  Scope: I've seen them around but haven't any experience with them.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I knew some Long Island girls back in college that were pretty good at mounting.

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:02:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How about posting some sort of review on the Sightron  Scope: I've seen them around but haven't any experience with them.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pros:

I think Sightron SIII series scopes are an awesome value.  The glass is very good.  It's not say highend Swarovski good, but it is essentially as good as Nightforce glass at a fraction of the price.  Clear with great light gathering.

The tracking is fantastic.  In my opinion the tracking is as good as any scope.  If you are a dialer, you can't go wrong with it.

My scope has a mil-dot reticle but it is not FFP so at 32x(or anything other than 24x) it is not true mil-dot I don't see this as a problem because I know the distance between mil-dots on my scope is 2.7moa at 32x.   I do all my calculations/dialing based on moa anyway so to me it's a moot point...plus I'm a dialer.  They do offer some FFP scopes but not one in this magnification.

Toughness, it seems pretty tough but it's not a hardcore tactical scope, so I wouldn't compare it's toughness to a scope designed for toughness.  The scope doesn't seem weak but it's just no nightforce.

In retrospect I would have preferred getting the MOA reticle or the Horus reticle they offer.  Also I would have probably gotten the version with exposed turrets.

It has 70MOA of elevation adjustments.  If you are a dialer that's pretty sweet.  For comparison the 8-32x Nightforce scopes only have 50MOA elevation adjustment.  The SIII 6-24x model that is similar to my scope has 100MOA of elevation adjustment.

Lifetime warranty.  I haven't dealt with them but I've read stories where people call them (just to test how they would respond) and tell them that their scope broke and they have a big hunting trip next week...apparently the Sightron reps would respond by offering to overnight them a new scope and a label to ship their broken scope back...or so I've read.

Cons:
No zero stops.  The turrets are easily resettable but there is no zero stop.  Currently Sightron does not offer any scope with a zero stop.  I am actually in the process of having some custom zero stop shims made for it so this shouldn't be an issue that I can't remedy for about <$20.

As I mentioned as far as toughness.  It's tough but it's not a Nightforce.  The comparable Nightforce scope weighs 34oz.  My scope weighs 26oz.  I don't plan on repelling or skydiving with it so I feel totally fine about it's toughness.

For my money, the Sightron SIII series is my choice for a ~$1000 scope.  It is a real hidden gem, because most people don't know about them you can pick them up used for much less than comparable quality scopes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#9]
That's a prime review
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did you make an instructional video?

I've only "bubba" mounted scopes with Allen keys and "meh close enough" for leveling. Would be interested to see a better way in case I ever buy a nice rifle.
View Quote

I don't think I'm ready to make an instructional video but I have been watching instructional videos on youtube and reading some articles.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:44:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

What rings are you using?
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was using Burris xtr low rings now I will be using Burris xtr high rings assuming it clears the barrel.  Teludyne is currently installing 1.25" barrel system onto the rifle. Between the 20moa base and the 1.25" barrel the clearance on the scope has been dramatically changed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's a prime review
View Quote

+1
Much better than I anticipated...
Might just order one; not as high end/power, but just the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top