User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, and Detective Novins admitted that to me on the phone actually, saying he wasn't qualified to determine this.

He said that if I get a letter from Ares, the manufacturer, saying that it is not an AR-15, then he will fast track the process to the actual FFL/armorers/experts in the NYPD...

Not sure why they didn't do that in the first place...even an idiot FFL/armorer would be able to tell you that the Ares SCR is not an AR-15. At all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Worth noting that the NYPD makes a point to say the Det is a firearms instructor. That certification is to teach others to safely shoot weapons and appropriate tactics. This cert is not an armorers or forensic certification and really has nothing to back up that the indvidual is qualifed to determine the nature of the firearm in question (other than his department saying he can).

Yes, and Detective Novins admitted that to me on the phone actually, saying he wasn't qualified to determine this.

He said that if I get a letter from Ares, the manufacturer, saying that it is not an AR-15, then he will fast track the process to the actual FFL/armorers/experts in the NYPD...

Not sure why they didn't do that in the first place...even an idiot FFL/armorer would be able to tell you that the Ares SCR is not an AR-15. At all.
Not saying I know anyone or am connected but if you don't mind, can you send me the entire letter, or a PM with your contact info?

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
http://www.afte.org/aftelinks/aftelinks.htm
View Quote

Hmm...they have a public forum, I may join and post the request soon...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not saying I know anyone or am connected but if you don't mind, can you send me the entire letter, or a PM with your contact info?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Worth noting that the NYPD makes a point to say the Det is a firearms instructor. That certification is to teach others to safely shoot weapons and appropriate tactics. This cert is not an armorers or forensic certification and really has nothing to back up that the indvidual is qualifed to determine the nature of the firearm in question (other than his department saying he can).

PM sent...and the letter I posted earlier is the entire letter, so nothing more to see there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck in this.  It's time to combat the tyranny of government bureaucrats arbitrarily infringing on our rights.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good luck in this.  It's time to combat the tyranny of government bureaucrats arbitrarily infringing on our rights.
View Quote

The NRA/NYSRPA really do need to file suit against NYC for being able to arbitrarily decide what guns they want to ban, based on no set law or standard. The police commissioner should not have the ability to deem a gun "particularly suited for military and non-sporting purposes" based on no facts or standards based in law...that is the DEFINITION of constitutionally arbitrary.

And even IF the gun is particularly suited for "non sporting purposes" (whatever that means)...who cares? Is that wrong to own a military type gun??
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
So...it may really really help if everyone emails Ares and respectfully requests that they post a letter to the NYPD explaining that the SCR is not an AR-15, and has none of the features that make it banned in NYC.

Unless Ares feels a little pressure to do this, they aren't gonna give a crap. They are advertising this as a legal gun in all 50 states...they should back that up! Something so simple to help their customers isn't so much to ask.

[email protected]

[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So...it may really really help if everyone emails Ares and respectfully requests that they post a letter to the NYPD explaining that the SCR is not an AR-15, and has none of the features that make it banned in NYC.

Unless Ares feels a little pressure to do this, they aren't gonna give a crap. They are advertising this as a legal gun in all 50 states...they should back that up! Something so simple to help their customers isn't so much to ask.

[email protected]

[email protected]
View Quote

consider it done... sending letter now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
PM sent...and the letter I posted earlier is the entire letter, so nothing more to see there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok. Did not see the whole thing before on my tiny screen.

I replied to your PM.

/ml

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Hit their facebook page. I already see one person asking about it.

https://www.facebook.com/aresdefense/posts/810661342340212
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Dave, any updates on this?
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Planning on calling Ares tomorrow or Tuesday if they aren't open tomorrow...my guess is they aren't going to help...they have been known to have a "I don't give a shit" attitude towards their customers...but I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

If they don't want to help, I may need a few FFLs to write some letters...
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep on fighting dave, ill reach out for ares again tomorrow too.  It would take nothing for them to write a letter stating their serialized lower receiver is not an ar15 lower receiver.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Planning on calling Ares tomorrow or Tuesday if they aren't open tomorrow...my guess is they aren't going to help...they have been known to have a "I don't give a shit" attitude towards their customers...but I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep up the fight Dave. I'll call them tomorrow and Tuesday as well. A letter from Ares, stating that it's not an ar 15, is exactly what you need. We need all the help we can get in NYC!
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Same BS response from Ares..."They are not issuing individual letters but they are working on it in the background."

Meaning it sounds like they aren't going to help.

A simple letter saying it's not an AR15...and they won't do it.

Awesome...
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Great business minds.

It certainly makes one question whether or not we should be supporting them. Voting with our wallets and all.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Same BS response from Ares..."They are not issuing individual letters but they are working on it in the background."

Awesome...
View Quote

Sucks.  Perhaps you can simply get a letter from a NY gun dealer (as an expert on both firearms and the legal sale of such arms in NY) to attest to the fact that it is not an AR15 and that it is currently being sold legally throughout the state of NY within the bounds of the unconstitutional SAFE act.  Better yet... have that expert testimony sent via by an attorney.  You may want to draft both letters yourself to increase the likelihood that both a dealer and lawyer will sign off at low or no cost.  

As one of the plantiffs against the SAFE act you might want to try BlueLine Tactical in Westchester.  I believe they stock and sell the rifle in question.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sucks.  Perhaps you can simply get a letter from a NY gun dealer (as an expert on both firearms and the legal sale of such arms in NY) to attest to the fact that it is not an AR15 and that it is currently being sold legally throughout the state of NY within the bounds of the unconstitutional SAFE act.  Better yet... have that expert testimony sent via by an attorney.  You may want to draft both letters yourself to increase the likelihood that both a dealer and lawyer will sign off at low or no cost.  

As one of the plantiffs against the SAFE act you might want to try BlueLine Tactical in Westchester.  I believe they stock and sell the rifle in question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome...

I emailed the Association for Firearm and Tool Mark examiners, as recommended by scosgt...one of them appears to be a firearms examiner at the NYPD...So I emailed 3 of them...we will see what they say.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Well...I emailed 3 of the top people at the Association for Firearm and Tool Mark Examiners...as well as a couple of the expert referrals they had listed on their website...

No response from anyone 1 week later...So I shot a couple of them another email...but I doubt I will get any response.

Never thought it would be so hard to get someone to write a simple email, letter, or just sign a letter that I wrote...nobody has even responded asking for a fee to do it, which I'd be happy to pay.

So...back to square one.

Any FFLs / gunsmiths out there willing to sign a simple letter saying the SCR is not an AR-15?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well...I emailed 3 of the top people at the Association for Firearm and Tool Mark Examiners...as well as a couple of the expert referrals they had listed on their website...

No response from anyone 1 week later...So I shot a couple of them another email...but I doubt I will get any response.

Never thought it would be so hard to get someone to write a simple email, letter, or just sign a letter that I wrote...nobody has even responded asking for a fee to do it, which I'd be happy to pay.

So...back to square one.

Any FFLs / gunsmiths out there willing to sign a simple letter saying the SCR is not an AR-15?
View Quote

Try contacting Vayser Arms in Yonkers.  They are a manufacturer and imo qualified to make this determination.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, Ares said they would speak with Detective Novins, and assure him it is NOT an AR-15. So I am waiting for Mr. Novins to call them.

Here is the email response I got from Mr. Novins regarding him calling Ares...

Thank you for your email. I am much too busy to call anyone today.
You might want to check January's  issue of Rifleman magazine. In that magazine this weapon is fatured. It specifically mentions this weapon is an ar15 receiver. This article was brought to my attention by the Director of License Division.
I will try to call this woam ,as soon as i get some time...
Thank you
Det. B. Novins
License Division
NYPD
View Quote

at them trusting a gun magazine for their formal firearms research...but I guess it's better than using Wikipedia, which they have used with me in the past.  

If Ares doesn't convince him the gun isn't an AR-15, I will be emailing Vayser in Yonkers...I've spoke with them before.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow...OK...Good News...

Detective Novins called...and said he spoke with a "Steve Albanese" - a retired NYPD officer who is a very well respected gun smith / gun expert for the NYPD still...

Mr. Albanese says that the Ares SCR "has zero offending features, and compared to the Ruger Mini-14, which is legal in NYC, is essentially the same in terms of function."

Detective Novins says he is 80% that we will get the approval now. He just has to run it by the director...

I am fully prepared that the director will still deny it, or maybe approve the SCR only to get the Police Commissioner to add it to the banned list...

But at least I didn't make it easy for them...and we MAY have standing to challenge NYC's "right" to arbitrarily ban any gun they want based on no actual law or features or definition...that is the definition of constitutionally arbitrary.

So if they add the SCR to the banned list, lawsuit here we come!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow...OK...Good News...

Detective Novins called...and said he spoke with a "Steve Albanese" - a retired NYPD officer who is a very well respected gun smith / gun expert for the NYPD still...

Mr. Albanese says that the Ares SCR "has zero offending features, and compared to the Ruger Mini-14, which is legal in NYC, is essentially the same in terms of function."

Detective Novins says he is 80% that we will get the approval now. He just has to run it by the director...

I am fully prepared that the director will still deny it, or maybe approve the SCR only to get the Police Commissioner to add it to the banned list...

But at least I didn't make it easy for them...and we MAY have standing to challenge NYC's "right" to arbitrarily ban any gun they want based on no actual law or features or definition...that is the definition of constitutionally arbitrary.

So if they add the SCR to the banned list, lawsuit here we come!
View Quote

Keep the fight up but if the mfg doesn't want to help I woulndt buy there product
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:55:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, Ares said they would speak with Detective Novins, and assure him it is NOT an AR-15. So I am waiting for Mr. Novins to call them.

at them trusting a gun magazine for their formal firearms research...but I guess it's better than using Wikipedia, which they have used with me in the past.  

If Ares doesn't convince him the gun isn't an AR-15, I will be emailing Vayser in Yonkers...I've spoke with them before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you for your email. I am much too busy to call anyone today.
You might want to check January's  issue of Rifleman magazine. In that magazine this weapon is fatured. It specifically mentions this weapon is an ar15 receiver. This article was brought to my attention by the Director of License Division.
I will try to call this woam ,as soon as i get some time...
Thank you
Det. B. Novins
License Division
NYPD

The article is available on line. I don't see where it says that its an ar15 receiver. It actual touts the SCR as 50 state legal, featureless, alternative.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Yup...read the article...it does say the upper is near identical to an AR15, but then lists about a dozen ways in which the upper is totally different from an AR-15, most importantly the internal functioning is totally different.

I mean, yeah the SCR and AR-15 both have barrels...does that make it the same gun?

I hope they can realize that the article is a marketing ploy to sell the SCR as a replacement to the AR15, so they are marketing it as similar to an AR as possible...even though it is NOT an AR.

We will see.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I hope they can realize that the article is a marketing ploy to sell the SCR as a replacement to the AR15, so they are marketing it as similar to an AR as possible...even though it is NOT an AR.
View Quote

That's the problem with pointing out to the gun grabbers that the legal guns are just as deadly and work the same way as the scary banned ones--while we think it will illustrate the fallacy and illuminate the lightbulb above their collective heads, it ends up getting all the guns banned!  

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Keep it up man, ive been looking at the SCR for a while to get in NYC. If this gets resolved, i will be deff getting this rifle as soon as I can.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top