Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2014 12:19:42 PM EDT
here

This happened some time ago. They seized her AR15 and shotgun and displayed them. Don't know why that was relevant to the arrest as both were legal, stored legally, and she was headed to a range.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Her problem was that she wasn't wearing a burka and speaking Farsi.  Then they would have giving her a tour of the facilities before letting her go.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Ms. Genovese was arrested on July 30, 2009 by Suffolk County Sheriff’s deputies after Air National Guard officials said they saw her taking photographs of a HH-3E “Jolly Green Giant” helicopter near the entrance of the base at Gabreski Airport.

Authorities said they found an XM-15 assault rifle and a shotgun—both registered and unloaded—in her car, and an estimated 500 rounds of ammunition in her trunk at the time of her arrest. She said she was on the way home from a shooting range in Ridge at the time.
View Quote

How would anyone outside of NYC have registered long guns in 2009?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ms. Genovese was arrested on July 30, 2009 by Suffolk County Sheriff’s deputies after Air National Guard officials said they saw her taking photographs of a HH-3E “Jolly Green Giant” helicopter near the entrance of the base at Gabreski Airport.

Authorities said they found an XM-15 assault rifle and a shotgun—both registered and unloaded—in her car, and an estimated 500 rounds of ammunition in her trunk at the time of her arrest. She said she was on the way home from a shooting range in Ridge at the time.

"Registered" means "legally owned" to liberals.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Assholes. Good for her. Now use the settlement to GTFO of NYS.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I hunt deer regularly in that area.  What makes this so asinine is that the helicopter she was photographing is a retired model, on display for several years to all and maybe 30 yards from the perimiter fence on Old Riverhead Road, a well traveled street.  The cop must be a real jerk.   Note:  the Air National Guard unit, the 106th ASR, is constantly deployed to war zones and has full time military security police at the inspection booth just another 30 or so yards past the chopper.   They evidently though nothing of it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
She would be wise to GTFO, although 1.115 million won't take her far.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The only way to stop a lot of this bullshit is through the Courts. SCOTUS has ruled filming IS legal, and there's NO expectation of privacy when in Public view.  When they  do stupid, empirical shit, they  need to be called on the carpet for it, and in many cases summarily dismissed....problem is with some like "fivehead" (who cost the County five million PLUS who know how much in "other" costs, for he arrogant, ill-informed persecution of Long Island Gun Dealers)  when you "fuck up" you get rewarded with raises/promotions/higher Offices.  http://www.newsday.com/long-island/conspiracy-suit-against-da-rice-narrows-1.4355673

Some of the stories I heard from/about Soldiers being harassed, "cuffed & stuffed" by Watertown PD pisses me the fuck off.  

Good Cops are getting out with fewer and fewer "good" replacements; Seems if you've too high an I.Q you can't be hired.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

http://politicalblindspot.com/police-officially-refuse-to-hire-applicants-with-high-iq-scores/

And the ever increasing "Militarization" of Police forces damn sure isn't making things better.

https://www.aclu.org/war-comes-home-excessive-militarization-american-policing

http://theweek.com/article/index/265232/the-militarization-of-americarsquos-police

There's a time and place for everything under the Sun, our neighborhoods are there.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I hunt deer regularly in that area.  What makes this so asinine is that the helicopter she was photographing is a retired model, on display for several years to all and maybe 30 yards from the perimeter fence on Old Riverhead Road, a well traveled street.  The cop must be a real jerk.   Note:  the Air National Guard unit, the 106th ASR, is constantly deployed to war zones and has full time military security police at the inspection booth just another 30 or so yards past the chopper.   They evidently though nothing of it.
View Quote

For the past decade, we've continually deployed BRIGADE combat teams:  If you want to take pictures, knock yourself out....hell call Public Relations and they'll take you around....stupid fuckers.    
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

One can certainly make a hell of a good start somewhere free for less than half that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

One can certainly make a hell of a good start somewhere free for less than half that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I would be ready to leave if I had .115 million.  Just enough to pay off a homestead.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See highspeedforlife's post.

Registered means legally owned to liberals in the media. Hell even most gun owners likely think of the 4473 as the "registration" for the long gun.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Hell even most gun owners likely think of the 4473 as the "registration" for the long gun.

View Quote

Isn't it?  If you have ever bought or transferred a firearm through a now defunct dealer, the odds are pretty good your 4473 from that dealer has been scanned into a BATFE computer in WV.  Or if you went to one of the myriad of dealers who has had is 4473's copied by BATFE agents during inspection you are probably in a computer somewhere too.

I don't think it would be that difficult for the government to find at least 50%, if not more, of all firearms in this country just from rifling through the 4473's.  To me that is registration.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Isn't it?  If you have ever bought or transferred a firearm through a now defunct dealer, the odds are pretty good your 4473 from that dealer has been scanned into a BATFE computer in WV.  Or if you went to one of the myriad of dealers who has had is 4473's copied by BATFE agents during inspection you are probably in a computer somewhere too.

I don't think it would be that difficult for the government to find at least 50%, if not more, of all firearms in this country just from rifling through the 4473's.  To me that is registration.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell even most gun owners likely think of the 4473 as the "registration" for the long gun.

Now just why do you think so many of refused to "register" our AW's ?
That Handgun Licenses you have; who do you think is going to get the first knock at the door?
The honest, do the right thing, guy isn't going to see it coming, or fight it when it does...MANY including myself said legislation like un-SAFE couldn't/wouldn't happen, well we were wrong! BTW: the first paragraphs of SAFE called for confiscation
Take a hard look at the World around us friend; the smoke coming out our asses is hiding the train headed right towards us.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That Handgun Licenses you have; who do you think is going to get the first knock at the door?
The honest, do the right thing, guy isn't going to see it coming, or fight it when it does...MANY including myself said legislation like un-SAFE couldn't/wouldn't happen, well we were wrong! BTW: the first paragraphs of SAFE called for confiscation
Take a hard look at the World around us friend; the smoke coming out our asses is hiding the train headed right towards us.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why we need to leave this communist shite hole.  Let all the liberals/fsa all move to here and calif. At these they can be contained.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#16]
$1.112M is the compensatory damages for being in jail for 4 days (I'd like to know how they came up with that number).
Punitive damages are going to be awarded at a later date.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
$1.112M is the compensatory damages for being in jail for 4 days (I'd like to know how they came up with that number).
View Quote

Hopefully, the punitive damages will be much higher.  

However, I'm doubtful given the large amount of gun control fucks on LI.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Too bad she didn't get the default judgement.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
This was a while ago but I think they really dropped the ball with the arrest, booking etc. Didn't they do a 72 hour hold on her?

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone though about all the cases we're NOT hearing about?
Unless you've got money and/or people looking out for you, there's a real good chance of you getting royally fucked over....granted there are those who should be, hell there's a lot that should be shot in the Street, but this isn't Communist China.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This was a while ago but I think they really dropped the ball with the arrest, booking etc. Didn't they do a 72 hour hold on her?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think so. I seem to recall the news painting her as a wackaloon.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She is not. She's been helpful to the anti-SAFE Act fight along the way, providing some support to NY2A. I'm thrilled to see her getting some justice. And yes, punitive damages are also expected.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All too often those portrayed by the media as "conspiracies" or "wack-jobs" are usually the one that have figured out there's something  going on, they  don't want us to know about, so our disbelief is turned against us by painting that person in a poor light.  

Just because someone is highly passionate, and very vocal in their assertions does not automatically mean their a moon-bat....ranting doesn't make them stark-raving-mad, only that they haven't mastered the art of calm, assertive debate....of course there ARE those with whome the inverse is completly true.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Did she get her guns back?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bet she didn't since she couldn't register them.  I bet they were destroyed
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I got 1.12 million dollars, I'd own a whole fucking truck load of 'em.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not that much money. For what was done to her she should get 20X that.
I would still want my guns back!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I remember arguing about this case - the news coverage painted her as some sort of survivalist nut job with a lot of speculation about "motives."

Glad she got some measure of justice. I hope the punitive damages are higher.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure what world some of you live in where 1.1 million isn't a lot of juice.

I'm quite sure with that amount I could work part time for the rest of my life in Wyoming and never want for any of the necessities
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I remember arguing about this case - the news coverage painted her as some sort of survivalist nut job with a lot of speculation about "motives."

View Quote
That's similar to what I heard through from a few people. I didn't know what to think as the people I heard this from I wouldn't have a reason not to believe.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone who has spare flashlight batteries and a few cases of water is a survivalist to the media.

To quote the great Pantera
For every fucking second the pathetic media pisses on me and
judges what I am in one paragraph - Look here - Fuck you all
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since they are unable to be obtained in NY anymore I'd start by looking at the cost of an M16 and then double it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#35]
That's before taxes and lawyers, right? NY gonna ream her again on that for sure.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:30:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anyone who has spare flashlight batteries and a few cases of water is a survivalist to the media.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

For every fucking second the pathetic media pisses on me and
judges what I am in one paragraph - Look here - Fuck you all

+1
Even IF she was a "survivalist" so the fuck what.
Does it really matter what or who someone is that's minding their own business taking pictures of publicly displayed objects? Is this North Korea?
As for 1.1 million:  if you subtract a third, and can live on 50K a year for over 14 years (I fed, housed, and educated a family of four for less)
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the "compensatory" damage - the punitive payout is still to come.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good for her... Put the screws to ' em.
View Quote

Except it only puts the screws to the taxpayer that had nothing to do with it.
Nothing will happen to the people who actually did it & who should be stuck with the bill.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Nothing will happen to the people who actually did it & who should be stuck with the bill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct, the Perps (in this case the individual police officers) should at least have to pay something, if they were personally liable for 1% of the award this behavior would disappear; but, in my opinion this  will never happen.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#41]
The really strange part of this, she was arrested for having guns about 6-800 yards away from a shooting range, it's on the same propperty. (Though she wasn't a member of said range.) when the story broke many of us just assumed that's where she was going. It's not like she was in the parking lot of the a mall or something.
I've always wondered how it escalated.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An Article 1983 proceeding should have, and possibly may be taken against those who violated her Rights.
Yes the Tax Payer is on the hook, and shit rolls down hill, unless your the DA in which case you get a raise and promoted.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
  As far as I can tell, this lawsuit was filed in federal court and was a 1983 case.  It's not Article 1983 though.
View Quote

Short of looking it up: What is the personal, legal action that can be taken against LEO's and other that delibertly violate someones civil rights?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/9XdrbNnZsCU  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, that Supervisor is pathetic.

She didn't even try to hide the fact that she was trying to cover for the Town Attorney and sweep this under the rug.
How monumental of a fuck up is that?

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

She didn't even try to hide the fact that she was trying to cover for the Town Attorney and sweep this under the rug.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enough of one that the residents should be DEMANDING her resignation or removal from Office.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Outside of NY it will.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Enough of one that the residents should be DEMANDING her resignation or removal from Office.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's from South Hampton.
According to the OP article, the lawsuit against South Hampton was dropped & they stuck Suffolk County with all the bills.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top