User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2014 4:06:43 PM EDT

UPDATE BELOW

Just posted at Newsday:

By Nicole Fuller

Newsday

Updated November 23, 2014 2:58 PM

A man was shot Sunday afternoon at the Nassau-county owned shooting range in Uniondale, Nassau police said.

Police received a 911 call about 12:52 p.m. reporting a male victim with a gunshot wound at the Nassau County Rifle and Pistol Range at Mitchel Athletic Complex on Charles Linderbergh Lane, police said.

The male victim has been taken to a hospital, police said. A police spokesman could not immediately provide his condition or say whether police were seeking a suspect.

A man who answered the phone at the shooting range Sunday hung up twice on a reporter seeking comment.

The range had been cordoned off Sunday and appeared to be closed down for the day.

The facility is managed by the Nassau County Parks Department and was renovated in 2005, to remove lead from the ranges and add a new roof and parking.

The range allows shotguns, handguns and rifles and has National Rifle Assocation certified instructors, according to its website.

-- With John Asbury

UPDATE (23-Nov-2014, 3:45 PM EST)

By Nicole Fuller

Newsday

November 23, 2014

A man died Sunday afternoon from what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound at the Nassau-county owned shooting range in Uniondale, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

Police received a 911 call about 12:52 p.m. reporting a male victim with a gunshot wound at the Nassau County Rifle and Pistol Range at Mitchel Athletic Complex on Charles Lindbergh Lane, police said The victim was taken to the hospital, police said.

Police are investigating whether the single gunshot was fired accidentally or was a suicide, the source said.

"There's no other parties involved," said the source, who said the man appeared to be in his 70s.

A man who answered the phone at the shooting range Sunday hung up twice on a reporter seeking comment.

The range had been cordoned off Sunday and appeared to be closed for the day.

The facility is managed by the Nassau County Parks Department and was renovated in 2005, to remove lead from the ranges and add a new roof and parking.

The range allows shotguns, handguns and rifles and has National Rifle Association certified instructors, according to its website.

With John Asbury

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow that has no information...
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#2]
He just died.   Sad
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]

R.I.P.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
as if we dont have enough issues in LI.
fuck that selfish sob.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
as if we dont have enough issues in LI.
fuck that selfish sob.
View Quote

Could have been an accident, it's getting to be hunting season, not everyone with the motivation to drop a deer is a gun guy, knows the four rules, etc... Maybe hold off on judging the deceased for just a little bit?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm hearing rifle and not a head wound (don't know if it's true), but that sounds a lot less like suicide.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm hearing rifle and not a head wound (don't know if it's true), but that sounds a lot less like suicide.
View Quote

they have cameras there.
don't know if they were recording though.

isn't the RO a member here?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yes and I'm sure he is busy as all hell.

give him some time
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

they have cameras there.

give him some time

Hope there is no potential liability attached to the range.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

they have cameras there.

give him some time

Why? They'll just tax us more to pay for it, they're used to it by now after all of the civil rights settlements brought about by our lovely DA.  And if they close the range the DA investigators will have to start driving all the way out to Calverton to surveil innocent gun owners.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top