Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Back to work today after 6 days up in Steuben County. 2 does and a nice 6 in the freezer by our 4 man team.
I completely shanked a gimme 40 yard shot at a basket 6 running straight at me during a drive.  Ripped another
slug at him when he turned 90 degrees and went up the hill.  Thankfully they were clean misses and I didnt hit
him in the ass or guts.

I also found out 1st hand that setting off 3 lbs of tannerite is a REALLY good way to piss of everyone within a
5 mile radius.  People thought "the crazy guys from LI" had a tow missle or a cannon.  Good God was that
explosion unbelievable.....  (It wasnt during gun deer season).  Evidently it's an offense that gets a reply like, "If
you knuckleheads EVER do that again pack your bags, go home and never come back......"

I've shot a LOT of big fireworks in my time but tannerite and a 30-06 is most impressive indeed......
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#2]
41mag is a bad man.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Spent the day with a friend out in Wayne County.  I have been going out there at least once a year to hunt with this friend for about a dozen years or so.  8F is one of those areas where they have left over permits...tons of deer out there.  We did many drives today, and had a ball.  One drive midday, was an old abandoned apple orchard.  I was in a ladder stand in a nice ambush location.  I saw at least five deer come out, and starting finding them in my crosshairs.  I heard my buddy also shooting about a hundred yards to my right.  He shot twice and missed.  I made three shots, and recovered three deer, two big doe and a button buck.  Ithaca featherlight deerslayer, 20 gauge, what a fine shootin gun!

Hunting out there is always something special, but I've never had this kind of success.  I left the button buck with one of the guys we were hunting with.
HSFL happen to call me right after I shot, so I was a bit excited when I talked to him.

Hopefully, I have my meat back from the processors by the time we do our CNY Arfcom deer drive on December 6.  It will be a true sausage fest!  

God is good.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice job! Going out tomorrow afternoon after serving as resident taxi driver/ hockey dad, then Sunday most of the day. Looking to add one more before Thanksgiving, either from me or my brother. Then I have from Wednesday to Sunday to make more hotdogs! Since I have use the 250 and 6.8 so far, I am toying with what to use next - the 270 might be in line, and I have a great spot for my 41 mag S&W. The Ruger 44 carbine is also on the list, I am hoping it still shoots where it used to with my handloads- I am going to check it and bring it out, maybe bring it to the Dec 6 ARFCOM hunt.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Deer movement has slowed in allegany county.  Ive been out freezing my nuts and not seeing shit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Deer movement has slowed in allegany county.  Ive been out freezing my nuts and not seeing shit.
View Quote

Dutchess county is not any better first year in a very long time that i havent bagged a deer yet. I've seen 2 both by the road. Nothing in the woods
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm bringing the .308 out with 41mag tomorrow. I'll be using a pistol grip pump for ARFHUNT
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice hat trick 41mag, them deerslayers work great, love mine!

Gonna head out in the morning for a little bit before an early thanksgiving party tommorow and then hopefully all day sunday, depending on how late the party goes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I pretty much decided I'm done with opening day/weekend. Extra days off work, changing plans to travel, then I spend the first two days of the season avoiding idiots. I spend less and less time in the woods those two days every year.
But in general too. I've been "hunting" for a week now and I've got about 15 hours in the woods total.  lol that's sad.

Weather didnt help. But I'm blaming my father. lol. My how the tables have turned. Most of my life it was him going to bed early and me staying up all hours, making it so he couldn't sleep. Now I want to go to bed early and get out before sunrise. But he never goes out in the morning. And now he works till midnight and usually doesn't go to bed till 2 am. So now he rolls are reversed. He's keeping me up at night. lmao

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I pretty much decided I'm done with opening day/weekend. Extra days off work, changing plans to travel, then I spend the first two days of the season avoiding idiots. I spend less and less time in the woods those two days every year.
But in general too. I've been "hunting" for a week now and I've got about 15 hours in the woods total.  lol that's sad.

Weather didnt help. But I'm blaming my father. lol. My how the tables have turned. Most of my life it was him going to bed early and me staying up all hours, making it so he couldn't sleep. Now I want to go to bed early and get out before sunrise. But he never goes out in the morning. And now he works till midnight and usually doesn't go to bed till 2 am. So now he rolls are reversed. He's keeping me up at night. lmao

View Quote

Yep life is bitch and bites you in the ass.. Karma is seems to get you in the end.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Pushed out a 7pt for a guy today.  They r not moving much...
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:22:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Hunted Sterling Forest this past week.  Five minutes in the woods, and a walked up on a healthy looking 4-6 pointer.  Thankfully, I had the gun at the ready.  

Hesitated a little on account of a stiff glove getting caught on the trigger guard (won't make that mistake again).

Unfortunately, the brush was super thick and he was slowly walking around the base of a hill.  Every time I'd creep a little and get my eye back on him, he'd move a little farther.  At one point, I had the gun up on crosshairs on his vitals, but it was for a split second before he disappeared behind more thick brush and the base of the hill.

After another few seconds of me adjusting my location to bring him back into sight, he must have heard or smelled me - tail went up, and he ran.  Kicking myself for not taking the shot, but I just never felt like it was clean and I didn't want to botch it.

Didn't see even a sparrow after that.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Northern Greene county. I havent seen much a few does .  Alot of turkeys.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Button buck today.

Hit him at 40 yds and he left like a bunny. 20 feet and he dropped like a hookers robe. Got both lungs front end.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I have seen 5 buck so far and all except for 1 have been non shooters for me. The one 8 point I saw was during bow and I couldn't get a shot off.

I have only seen 3 doe. This is a weird season for me, not sure if it's the weather or the winter we had last year.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#16]
only saw two deer this weekend, one was a nice buck that had his guts hanging out, I couldn't get a shot on him to put him down.    Then the guy that shot him comes walking through with no orange on, on private land.    Said he didn't have a good shot so he hit him where ever he could which is just bullshit, if you don't have a shot don't take one.  

he tracked it for almost two miles and last I heard they never got it, the land owner helped him track it
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm quitting deer hunting to shoot more ducks
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
only saw two deer this weekend, one was a nice buck that had his guts hanging out, I couldn't get a shot on him to put him down.    Then the guy that shot him comes walking through with no orange on, on private land.    Said he didn't have a good shot so he hit him where ever he could which is just bullshit, if you don't have a shot don't take one.  

he tracked it for almost two miles and last I heard they never got it, the land owner helped him track it
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Saw 4 today. No shots at any as i was walking trying to push something for my dad and a friend.  My buddy dumped a yote.  

I saw a decent buck but he was just over the property line and going about mach 9.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:03:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Now that I think of it, I didn't see dick.

Well..  I saw a fox twice. Some small birds of course and I bumped three grouse. But no deer, no turkey, no rabbits, no squirrels, no nothing. Maybe it was the cold, but I can't remember ever going a week without seeing something. A week without a red squirrel telling the whole world I was there?

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd like to try duck hunting some day
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#22]
had 25 turkey just hanging out near me last night, it was nice actually since there were no deer around.  They seemed pretty damn happy, very vocal and jumping and running around.   I think they knew I wasn't hunting them, shame too there were some nice birds in the group
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Finally got him in the crosshairs yesterday afternoon.  He had the mountain ripped up, so I knew he was up there, but it has been tough hunting.  Did not see a deer until a little after 4PM, when I spotted a doe coming down a steep mountainside.  Then I spotted a buck coming down about 25 yds behind her.

He was not where I could shoot as they both passed down the mountain to the flat below me.   I sneaked to the edge where I could look down.  Shot was about 80 yds.  The 45/70 Marlin got it done.

Finally got him to the truck at 7:15 PM.  Dragging them down the mountain in the dark is no fun.  When you pull one off a mountain in DMU 3A, you know you worked for it.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Finally got him in the crosshairs yesterday afternoon.  He had the mountain ripped up, so I knew he was up there, but it has been tough hunting.  Did not see a deer until a little after 4PM, when I spotted a doe coming down a steep mountainside.  Then I spotted a buck coming down about 25 yds behind her.

He was not where I could shoot as they both passed down the mountain to the flat below me.   I sneaked to the edge where I could look down.  Shot was about 80 yds.  The 45/70 Marlin got it done.

Finally got him to the truck at 7:15 PM.  Dragging them down the mountain in the dark is no fun.  When you pull one off a mountain in DMU 3A, you know you worked for it.

http://www.fototime.com/CD250E98C8C57B3/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/D3F4EBCC41DED9C/standard.jpg

View Quote

very nice!

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be going out Thursday and Friday
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#27]
A buck dragged off the mountain in 3A?  Good Job!  I've been there, done that.  My father grew up in Shandaken, and he and my grandfather did a lot of hunting up there.  One day in Jr. High, My father pulled me out of school one afternoon for a "doctor appointment".  When we got in the car, my confusion was dissolved by him  stating "Your Papa shot a deer, we gotta drive down to the Catskills and help him drag it out."    That drag was literally about 2 miles.  It was so long ago, I can't honestly remember if it was in season or not.    I guess that's the way it used to go, sometimes.  Folks gotta eat, and poor folks sometimes disregard hunting season dates.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be working on trying to get a buck, but seriously I want to go some day
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice buck Vly!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#31]
nice deer everyone! congrats to all.

my bow buck...

" />

got a vid of my bow buck taken with my phone, sorry the footage is crappy but in the heat of the moment I forgot I was videoing it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/smm72itg8zu2e5o/2014%20bow%20buck.mp4?dl=0

my rifle buck...

" />
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn!  That is a nice buck!  Congrats on that one.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:47:00 AM EDT
[#33]
lol Ive been wearing the same German sweater hunting 20+ years.

(That and my wool Swedish pants that were made in 1940.  Makes me laugh whenever I think about it, I'm wearing 74 year old pants.)
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
lol Ive been wearing the same German sweater hunting 20+ years.

(That and my wool Swedish pants that were made in 1940.  Makes me laugh whenever I think about it, I'm wearing 74 year old pants.)
View Quote

best thing for warmth that I have found, had two for a long time. never have to zip coat wearing these unless it's really cold. I used to have some of those gray wool pants that worked great for still hunting, but I didn't like not having the cargo pockets.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#35]
nice buck Brew!

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I have the Alpine type pants, buckles on the bottoms and cargo pockets. Of course I look like I stepped out of a time machine wearing them and carrying a 70 - 140 year old rifle.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#37]
anyone having much luck lately?  i havent seen much of shit.  a few doe on thanksgiving is all.  

nothing moving...  or they have figured me out.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's a couple. I got this one in the southern tier opening day. 8 point 102 pounds...lol. Not the smallest 8 pointer I have ever seen btw.

And here's how it made the 3.5 hours trip home.

And here is the buck my brother got here 2 sundays ago.  8 pointer that weighed 136 pounds. He had been rutting pretty hard. You could feel his backbone. Still the biggest rack we have killed. He was pretty excited.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top