Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 6:15:11 PM EDT
I would like to know if an ar with fixed mag can be had in NY, with all the other evil features, and, is it considered an Assault rifle?
Also, If i build one and fix the mag, do i have to register it as an AR
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure it's fixed stock well as a bunch of other features to make it new york complaint.

Checkout Troy Pump AR

Black rain ordinance also has a NY compliant ar.

http://www.blackrainordnance.com/newsletter-april-2014-new-york-compliant-ar15-ar10-rifles/
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
First, your title is so vague you might as well have left it blank.

Second, this is a technical forum for the AR15 rifle, not a state specific law forum.

Try searching for NY legal AR 15 in your favorite search engine or in the Hometown: New York forum on this site.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone find that ten foot pole?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty sure it's fixed stock well as a bunch of other features to make it new york complaint.

Checkout Troy Pump AR

Black rain ordinance also has a NY compliant ar.

http://www.blackrainordnance.com/newsletter-april-2014-new-york-compliant-ar15-ar10-rifles/
View Quote

No...not really....

OP Go here...

http://www.dark-storm.com/

They have nice compliant AR's, outstanding quality....you can buy whole guns, or complete lowers you can put your uppers. No question since it doesn't even have a mag release...

But yes, a FIXED mag renders the rifle not an AW, so it can any feature you want....or, the Troy pump does the same since it is not semi auto...

Plus there is about 1000 threads on what is legal and what is not on the HTF....
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Trollin trollin trollin....keep those prices trollin.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Call and ask, (518) 474-8390.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Call and ask, (518) 474-8390.
View Quote

LOL.  Yeah, and post their reply.
FUAC
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:28:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would like to know if an ar with fixed mag can be had in NY, with all the other evil features, and, is it considered an Assault rifle?
Also, If i build one and fix the mag, do i have to register it as an AR
View Quote

The deadline to register preexisting "assault weapons" has long since passed.   You could build a new AW, but you'd be breaking the law in the process.

But, yes, truly fixed mag ARs do not meet the requirements for an AW, since they cannot "accept a detachable magazine."  Likewise, as mentioned above, a pump-action AR is not an AW because it is not semi-automatic.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Here, read this.

The parts where it defines an "asshat" rifle are all you really need to know.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks everyone for replying.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#13]
and sorry for posting in the wrong forum
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#14]
and sorry for posting in the wrong forum
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#15]
did check with s.a.f.e act hotline.  specifically, if the mag is fixed, and the rifle cannot accept a detachable mag, it is not considered an assault rifle.  it can have all features, i.e. flash hider, bayonet mount, adjustable stock, everything basically.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
did check with s.a.f.e act hotline.  specifically, if the mag is fixed, and the rifle cannot accept a detachable mag, it is not considered an assault rifle.  it can have all features, i.e. flash hider, bayonet mount, adjustable stock, everything basically.
View Quote

Did they tell you that?  Did you record the conversation?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#17]
yes, recorded conversation, with permission of call center person.

the fixed mag is the key.  as long as rifle cannot accept a detachable mag, it is not considered an assault weapon.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Did they tell you how to fix the mag or what constitutes as a fixed mag? That's how they'll get ya later on saying "it can be readily be converted back to assault weapon configuration"
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
yes, recorded conversation, with permission of call center person.

the fixed mag is the key.  as long as rifle cannot accept a detachable mag, it is not considered an assault weapon.
View Quote

Problem is the call center person will either refuse to give an official answer or give a BS non-answer if they know they are being recorded.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Why is this post back here?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#21]
BECAUSE THIS REPORTER NEEDS INFORMATION
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#22]
didn't get any info on what the state calls fixed.  when in public, i don't plan on having any additional mags. just ammo, to reload fixed mag.

i think intent is what is important.  

my brother moved to Pennsylvania.  He has a colt AR15.  Went down one weekend, sent about 500 round down range,  and got the fever again.  haven't fired M-16 since 1975.  

i retired as a parole officer in ny, and only carried a glock. or shotgun.

my biggest mistake in this post,  Is, that I asked a question, and, will forever be sorry I asked a question.

I will pretend like many other people like i Know everything
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
didn't get any info on what the state calls fixed.  when in public, i don't plan on having any additional mags. just ammo, to reload fixed mag.

my brother moved to Pennsylvania.  He has a colt AR15.  Went down one weekend, sent about 500 round down range,  and got the fever again.  haven't fired M-16 since 1975.  

my biggest mistake in this post,  Is, that I asked a question, and, will forever be sorry I asked a question.

View Quote

What you have to understand is how many times we've been bombarded with "if, and, or butt" questions. about what's "legal" and not....even the Lawyers who frequent this forum hesitate to give anything but highly reserved advise.
The NYSP (and they DO monitor this board) cannot give any determinations or legal advise outside the narrow algorithm they're allowed to read from, there are no clear definitions, no precedent, and damn near everyone in the field either doesn't know, care, or want to be tied up with this horse-shit of a Law. We've been barraged with shills with a few postings suddenly wanting to know if their modern sporting rifle is "good-to-go" and if not, how to make it so or how to get around the law.....think of a Newspaper writer looking to make a hit-piece on guns by getting people on the internet to tell him how to make an illegal machinegun; IIRC giving the instructions is tantamount to actually building it yourself, and IF you are a "retired parole officer" then you know damn well how they Justice system works.
The closer you get to NYC them more attitudes change from those above the Hudson....we are a friendly bunch, but fully believe on op-sec, and being wary of those who would gleefully have us all drawn and quartered for out beliefs.
As for the rifle itself:  Most anything can be done with sufficient amounts of time, money, and know how; will you ever get in trouble for it? well that depends on how you live your life, and who crosses your path: Pissed off girlfriend wanting revenge could out you for something deemed by interpretation to be fully compliant/legal, yet the arresting Officer might just hate guns, or not know anything about them, so the next thing that happens if YOU go to Jail, ALL "weapons" are seized, and unless you can get a damn good Attorney, you're going to be visiting a former associate a couple times a month after being thoroughly fucked over for the rest of your life.  There's no one here that has any compassion for criminals, that said, we all realize that everything that's labeled a crime is in fact criminal.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you for your service, 2x over.

One of the problems with these forums is the people who spend time here thinks everyone knows as much as they do about NY's asinine gun laws. When these questions are posed some think it is the MAN or the 4th estate looking to stir up the fowl coop. The questions you asked get asked a lot here, and so people wonder what kind of crawl space others have been living under when they do ask those questions.

Your problem is compounded because you initially did not ask the question in the hometown forum - and again, if you are not savvy to how AR15.com works - it is a big freaking community center, you end up stepping on toes in your quest to get information.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#25]
My first problem was the vague all caps title.

My second is that you made no attempt in the age of Google to do some quick research. If you had looked up the SAFE FAQ or the NRA I ILA site you could have gotten answers.

2 Clicks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top