Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 5:27:57 AM EDT
He's not comfortable with the 20ga Mossberg due to the recoil....which means he doesn't practice with it. He also feels it is too long.

A pistol would be ideal, but he refuses to go through the BS surrounding getting a pistol in Erie County.

An AR would be ideal, but there's a lot of BS surrounding that, as well as it is over his price range.

I'm looking for recommendations on a weapon which satisfies the following:

-substantial enough for home defense
-low recoil
-he lives in a fairly dense residential neighborhood of single family homes
-shorter is better
-must be NYS compliant
-sub $500 (preferable)
-fairly simple to use (the AR may be a touch too much for him. Something like a lever action with night sights is more his speed. He is dead nuts on with his Henry 22 w/ irons).

So far my thoughts are:

-pistol caliber lever
-30-30 lever with appropriate ammo (need to research this a but more in regards to over-penetration)
-M1 carbine (a little over the budget)
-a whole host of various AR, AK, and other semi-auto carbines that would fit the bill perfectly for an old vet who just wants some peace of mind in his home FUAC
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#1]
look for a 20ga pump shotgun either a rem 870 or a mossberg 500 would work.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:32:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Rossi model 92 in .357/.38. Stoke it with .38 defensive ammo.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:37:44 AM EDT
[#3]
If a 20ga kicks too much count out a .30-30

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Can you comment on Rossi's quality?

I thought of Rossi last night while I was discussing this with my father, but I've never owned one before.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Rough, often fussy feeders. And slow to load unless he's going to keep it that way.

An M1 carbine with soft / hollow points would work great, but you probably won't find one below your price range.
Sadly used Ruger PC9's are north of that price now as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:42:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Single shot .410 loaded with buck or slugs: Versatile, easily operated, multiple options for munitions, light weight, low cost, uber reliable.
Let's be realistic here: He's not likely to practice any more than a few shots at the Range, so about one shot is all that's going to happen.
Handgun is obviously not going to happen.
I suppose a M1 Carbine is an option, but again there's that training thing and I highly question the reliability of one unless its THROUGHLY vetted (ammo, magazines, feed/ejection,...)
The Kel-Tecs and Hi-Points fall into the same category as the Carbine, but substantially less expensive. (typical carbine from a Dealer is ~$700+)
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#7]
A Destroyer carbine would fit the bill. It's in 9mm Largo, which is not a common caliber. But you can order a case and be done with it. The bolt is really fast due to the cartridge's short lenth. Magazine holds 6 rds. Can be bought for $300-400 on gunbroker. I like mine a lot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Single shot .410 loaded with buck or slugs: Versatile, easily operated, multiple options for munitions, light weight, low cost, uber reliable.
Let's be realistic here: He's not likely to practice any more than a few shots at the Range, so about one shot is all that's going to happen.
Handgun is obviously not going to happen.
I suppose a M1 Carbine is an option, but again there's that training thing and I highly question the reliability of one unless its THROUGHLY vetted (ammo, magazines, feed/ejection,...)
The Kel-Tecs and Hi-Points fall into the same category as the Carbine, but substantially less expensive. (typical carbine from a Dealer is ~$700+)
View Quote

Training isn't an issue. He certainly won't be taking any tactical carbine classes, but he will get sufficient range time.

We have a range on our property and are there every other weekend or so. He has been getting into his Henry 22, which is part of why I favor the lever actions. He's a combat vet, so he is familiar with weapons, but he's about 60 years out of practice. I'm sure if I got him an M18 or a Garand he'd feel quite at home, but I don't think either of those would fit the bill.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

He is dead nuts on with his Henry 22 w/ irons).
View Quote

Let him use the Henry.  Better he have a gun he is comfortable shooting than one which uses a heavier round he isn't comfortable with.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#10]
What about something with a 22mag load? Variety of options,  plenty of knock down, very low recoil and winchester makes a great hollow point. Not a popular option but it's a family favorite with the old timers. You can get a Savage with a 7 round cartridge for a could hundred. Solid weapon, lightweight,  and low recoil.

I'd try it out... my gramps loves his and he's 87
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What about something with a 22mag load? Variety of options,  plenty of knock down, very low recoil and winchester makes a great hollow point. Not a popular option but it's a family favorite with the old timers. You can get a Savage with a 7 round cartridge for a could hundred. Solid weapon, lightweight,  and low recoil.

View Quote

This, if he's comfortable with the .22, get a .22.mag and load it with Speer Gold Dot's in that caliber. From a rifle it's better than a sharp stick. My FIL uses them in his Ruger LCP .22 mag.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Ruger PC9 or PC4
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]
mossberg .410 pump
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:54:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's the winner right there.  Get the carbine model, it's really short, easy to handle, and in that $400-500 price range.  My dad got the stainless version, and it's pretty fun to shoot, and real easy on the shoulder.  Even .357 mags have minimal recoil.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:58:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I thought of Rossi last night while I was discussing this with my father, but I've never owned one before.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My dad has one.  It's a little rough around the edges, internally, and at the loading port, but overall it's a pretty decent rifle.  He picked it up a couple years ago at the Canandaigua gun show.  Since then, I got him a scope for it (NC Star long eye relief) and he completely disassembled the rifle and did some polishing on some internal parts of the action and trigger.  Runs smoother than it did before, but, even still, it wasn't bad, but it's not a $1500 lever, either.

He normally shoots .38 lead reloads that I give him, but I have loaded up some .357 mag, and he's got factory ammo, too.  Handgun ammo in a rifle produces a light recoil, but with the longer barrel, you get better muzzle velocity.  Set him up with some .357 defense ammo, or even some .38 +p stuff.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I think the M92 is going to be the ticket. Bud's and CTD have them around the $480 mark, which is more than he wants to spend.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for used locally and on the EE. If not, maybe we'll work out a deal where I but him one and swap him for his 20ga.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#17]
SKS, tough to reload, but if it takes more than it holds, that is a different problem
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#18]

A pistol would be ideal, but he refuses to go through the BS surrounding getting a pistol in Erie County.
An AR would be ideal, but there's a lot of BS surrounding that

View Quote

Sounds like your father is unable to exercise his 2nd Amendment constitutional rights to self defense in a manner that suits an 82 year old.  

He should sue the bastards.  (I say only half jokingly)

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#19]
How about a Mossberg 500 in 410, you can get them on Gunbroker for around $300.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think the M92 is going to be the ticket. Bud's and CTD have them around the $480 mark, which is more than he wants to spend.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for used locally and on the EE. If not, maybe we'll work out a deal where I but him one and swap him for his 20ga.
View Quote

Just buy your Dad the dang rifle. Tell him you are loaning it to him with the understanding that you get it back if anything happens to him so that he is unable to use it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#21]
What about an SKS?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:50:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This, if he's comfortable with the .22, get a .22.mag and load it with Speer Gold Dot's in that caliber. From a rifle it's better than a sharp stick. My FIL uses them in his Ruger LCP .22 mag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poo-poo it if you want but many a Deer has fallen quickly to a well placed shot from a .22 magnum & spot light. (Illegal to do so in NY)  
The Gold-Dot's ARE nasty little buggers.

I have the Rossi's in .45 Long Colt and recoil is minimal with standard loading (for the most part duplicating .45acp in terms of bullet weight and velocity) I also have one in .44 magnum: again when loaded with .44 special has minimal recoil. Both are very easy to use, plenty accurate, and powerful enough to do the job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top