Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2014 10:48:30 AM EDT
This was sent to me, and quite honestly I don't have the answer yet, still I though I'd throw it out fot he arm-chair experts.  

I had a question from a fellow duck hunter.

He and his buddy or two were duck hunting on the St. Lawrence River last fall within the boundaries of New York State.  Upon boarding their boat they did the normal boat safety inspection, asked them to produce their hunting licenses and inspected their guns.  During this process they recorded the make, model and serial numbers of each shotgun.

We are not required to register this type of firearm in New York, is the Coast Guard within the law by asking for licenses, inspecting firearms and recording makes, models and serial numbers?

What happens to this information recorded by the Coast Guard?

Any insight would be appreciated.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Coasties are DHS now, Holder has the information.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Coasties are DHS now, Holder has the information.
View Quote

heck even vol fire departments get stuff for the DHS. I see the mail all the time at my house from DHS for my son. Hes a local vol. fire fighter
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This was sent to me, and quite honestly I don't have the answer yet, still I though I'd throw it out fot he arm-chair experts.  

He and his buddy or two were duck hunting on the St. Lawrence River last fall within the boundaries of New York State.  Upon boarding their boat they did the normal boat safety inspection, asked them to produce their hunting licenses and inspected their guns.  During this process they recorded the make, model and serial numbers of each shotgun.

We are not required to register this type of firearm in New York, is the Coast Guard within the law by asking for licenses, inspecting firearms and recording makes, models and serial numbers?

View Quote
View Quote

Ok so I did my share of boarding when I was attached to my MSST and I can tell you we never checked weapons other than if they were suspected of being illegal. Basically unless it looked like an AK we didn't even bother aside from asking the coxswain to declare all firearms and secure them on deck with a watchman.

Recording a shotgun serial seems bizarre to tell the truth,  especially since the majority of us puddle pirates are way to lazy to even check the life preservers.

Maybe E-4 Coastie has a different experience but mine personally tells me that either a directive has changed or these weekend warrior reservists (assuming reserve since that's who causes trouble :P) were really bored!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ok so I did my share of boarding when I was attached to my MSST and I can tell you we never checked weapons other than if they were suspected of being illegal. Basically unless it looked like an AK we didn't even bother aside from asking the coxswain to declare all firearms and secure them on deck with a watchman.

Recording a shotgun serial seems bizarre to tell the truth,  especially since the majority of us puddle pirates are way to lazy to even check the life preservers.

Maybe E-4 Coastie has a different experience but mine personally tells me that either a directive has changed or these weekend warrior reservists (assuming reserve since that's who causes trouble :P) were really bored!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my ears were ringing....

too busy figuring out where to eat lunch to care

there are a lot of what-ifs in this post

Recreational Boarding procedure SOPs obligate the Coastie to ask if there are weapons on board, Commandant Instruction says "must" record the serial numbers of title II firearms and "may"(but encouraged to) record all other firearm serial numbers. but if those weapons are not declared ..... whose to say you have any as long as none are in plain sight...
that being said that info may or may not be recorded on the "4100 form" by the Boarding Officer and submitted to the Boat Station then inputted in the 4100 database then transmitted to the server  then evaluated then cross checked with NCIC... blah blah blah... the short story is if you have guns in plain sight or someplace where the CG would have cause to go (IE:under a bilge plate)during the initial safety inspection you are better off declaring them to minimize the hassle.
...or the long story is... do you have any guns on board?
                                    nope
                                    whats that?
                                    an anchor
                                    looks like a shotgun to me
                                   yeah but i use for an anchor
                                   but... wait, what? gee nobody ever told me if i should record the serial number off an anchor...ahh fuck it
and so it goes
dont invite the man into your life
especially when the the man is an 19 yr old kid who just got finishrd watching COPS and doent know any better than to drink Kool-aid
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

my ears were ringing....

Recreational Boarding procedure SOPs obligate the Coastie to ask if there are weapons on board, Commandant Instruction says "must" record the serial numbers of title II firearms and "may"(but encouraged to) record all other firearm serial numbers. but if those weapons are not declared ..... whose to say you have any as long as none are in plain sight...
that being said that info may or may not be recorded on the "4100 form" by the Boarding Officer and submitted to the Boat Station then inputted in the 4100 database then transmitted to the server  then evaluated then cross checked with NCIC... blah blah blah... the short story is if you have guns in plain sight or someplace where the CG would have cause to go (IE:under a bilge plate)during the initial safety inspection you are better off declaring them to minimize the hassle.
                                    nope
                                    whats that?
                                    an anchor
                                   but... wait, what? gee nobody ever told me if i should record the serial number off an anchor...ahh fuck it
and so it goes
especially when the the man is an 19 yr old kid who just got finishrd watching COPS and doent know any better than to drink Kool-aid
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

my ears were ringing....

nope
                                    whats that?
                                    an anchor
and so it goes

Or if that kid is a reservist
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top