Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2014 10:45:41 AM EDT
I saw one of the mobile units driving around Bethpage on Long Island.

Just another way to tax us.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Well according to Newsday (I know people say I should not read it), there are currently three sites setup up at schools that are open this summer:

On Friday, cameras were placed at Plainedge Middle School in Bethpage,
Dutch Lane Elementary in Hicksville and Abbey Lane School in Levittown,
Nassau Department of Public Works spokesman Michael Martino said.
View Quote

These are going to get real bad as the speed limits around the schools in many cases are set ridiculously low and there will be no warning signs about the cameras.  A good example is the Great South Bay school in West Babylon.  It is on Great East Neck road whose speed limit should be 40mph, due to its design, but is 30mph.  The school zone is 20mph.  They are going to make a fortune on that road as the prevailing speed is usually close to 40mph.  It is a four lane highway identical to NY-109 which is 40mph.

I have no doubt that Nassau will hit its target of $25 million in fines.  And if a particular school does not generate enough revenue, I am sure they will keep dropping the limit an additional five miles per hour until it does start producing.  The only defense at this time will be to enter the locations of every school into your GPS and make sure an alert goes off when you are within range of it.  I created a Google Map over two years ago of every school in Nassau County and plan to convert it to a GPS compatible alert file so I will be reminded when I am near a school.  Granted there are more schools than speed cameras but they will be moved around so you will need to be cautious whenever you are near any school with a speed zone.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Dutch Broadway in Elmont by the Dutch Broadway School.

Active and installed.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Wonder if my Passport will pick them up?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Why are the school zone speed limits so low on Long Island? Set so low no one will obey them? I wonder that every time I go flying past the Durham elementary school at 55mmph without breaking the law.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#5]
This reminded me about how England reacted to thier speed cameras.

http://www.redditmirror.cc/cache/websites/www.speedcam.co.uk_adyvb/www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why are the school zone speed limits so low on Long Island? Set so low no one will obey them? I wonder that every time I go flying past the Durham elementary school at 55mmph without breaking the law.
View Quote
Not all schools have speed zones (yet).  Jericho High School sandwiched between NY-106 and NY-107 has no zone on either of those roads.  The NY-107 stretch, which is a divided highway in that area, is 40MPH (downgraded from 55MPH a few years ago).  NY-106 is also a divided highway and I believe the limit still is 55MPH.

Still I believe every effort will be made by the counties involved to maximize profits from these areas up to and including setting extremely low speed limits.  Since are you supposed to be given a 10MPH overage, I suspect 15MPH and 20MPH zones are going to become quite common and school hours will suddenly be extended to encompass every day of the week from 5am to 12am.  It's for the children after all.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dutch Broadway in Elmont by the Dutch Broadway School.

Active and installed.
View Quote

Yep, was put up like 3 weeks ago. Mr. A. must be happy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I read a "letters to the editor" response from a woman about how her neighbor was hit in a school zone while walking his dog.  The writer went on about how this will hold people accountable now to the speed limit and if the cameras were in place her neighbor would not have been hit..

Fucking delusional people.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I read a "letters to the editor" response from a woman about how her neighbor was hit in a school zone while walking his dog.  The writer went on about how this will hold people accountable now to the speed limit and if the cameras were in place her neighbor would not have been hit..

Fucking delusional people.
View Quote

Very delusional.

Cameras do not deter speeders.  They only generate income for the camera company & the local authorities.  If anything, the local authorities will end up enjoying the additional income so they'll actually WANT you to continue to speed ....

Plus in court how do you get to face your accuser when your accuser is a machine?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Cameras do not deter speeders.  They only generate income for the camera company & the local authorities.  If anything, the local authorities will end up enjoying the additional income so they'll actually WANT you to continue to speed ....

View Quote
Indeed they do.  The last thing they want is for the populace to suddenly observe the traffic laws.  It would blow a hole in the county budget a mile wide.  They were already "hurting" because red light revenue was down substantially due to people knowing the protected intersections and acting accordingly.  For that reason they want to cover new intersections to capture those unaware.  I am waiting for them to figure out a way to pass a law banning GPS alerting of cameras.  There must be a legal way they can do it.  I have almost all RLC's in my GPS now courtesy of POI Factory and it is very helpful.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Indeed they do.  The last thing they want is for the populace to suddenly observe the traffic laws.  It would blow a hole in the county budget a mile wide.  They were already "hurting" because red light revenue was down substantially due to people knowing the protected intersections and acting accordingly.  For that reason they want to cover new intersections to capture those unaware.  I am waiting for them to figure out a way to pass a law banning GPS alerting of cameras.  There must be a legal way they can do it.  I have almost all RLC's in my GPS now courtesy of POI Factory and it is very helpful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a neat idea really.
tho i don't need it in my state.  from what i can see, although my state doesn't have any laws against ticket-issuing cameras, we just don't have any outside of louisville...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#12]
The thing about the school zones around me is that they're really easy to avoid and no time wasted in commuting. It's just a change in habit that's needed. I work on Cantiague Rock Rd. There's a school on the northbound side. I can simply avoid it by coming up from the south if they get cams. Right now, I don't because I've been driving this way for the last few years. I can adjust with no issues.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd expect to see more cameras around soon.

County Comptroller George Maragos projected Tuesday that Nassau will end the year with a nearly $77 million cash deficit, primarily due to a steep decline in sales tax revenues and increasing costs of police overtime.

Maragos also said in his midyear budget report, required by the county charter, that the difference between recurring revenues and recurring expenses -- the structural budget gap -- will increase to $242 million by the close of this year, after dropping to $99 million last year.

Maragos said fellow Republican County Executive Edward Mangano and the county's financial control board, the Nassau Interim Finance Authority, must take "immediate steps" to close the deficit to "avoid the unpleasant consequences that will arise from our projections, should they be allowed to materialize."

Tim Sullivan, Mangano's deputy county executive for finance, said the administration already has submitted a plan to NIFA to reduce overtime spending through "management initiatives" and by cutting funds budgeted for supplies, equipment and contractual expenses.

Sullivan said the county has asked for proposals from an independent economic consultant to review and report on the sales tax data by Sept. 5. The administration had questioned the accuracy of the state's allocation of sales tax revenues, after Nassau's collections dropped by 9 percent through June compared with the same period last year.

The county charter requires Mangano to submit his proposed 2015 budget on Sept. 15.
Maragos projects that police overtime will cost $67.4 million this year compared to $50 million budgeted. He also predicts a $90 million shortfall in sales tax revenues, which he said reflects slower economic activity after a surge in spending after superstorm Sandy in 2012, and a shift to online shopping.

Sullivan is projecting a $51 million sales tax shortfall but says changes in police contracts that restrict the use of leave time, along with the hiring of new police officers at a lower pay scale, will slow the growth in overtime.

NIFA recently lifted a three-year wage freeze on four of the county's five major unions after they negotiated new contracts that the administration and labor leaders said will save tens of millions of dollars in future years. NIFA is expected to approve a new deal for county correction officers next month.

NIFA chairman Jon Kaiman had asked Nassau to develop new revenues to cover immediate costs projected at about $130 million over four years.
Sullivan, in a memo to NIFA, said some of those initiatives, such as increased fees and new speed cameras in school zones, will help close this year's projected deficit.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#14]
NASSAU COUNTY SPEED CAMERA'S
This does not include the white moving vans with camera's on them.. (photo attached) Ok here it is. Here are the slot machines (I mean speed camera's) for Nassau County. Study the locations because you will need to know why you received a ticket in the mail.......

BILLBENNETTPHOTO.COM

15 Pershing Blvd @ St. Christopher School Baldwin

1870 Merrick Ave @ Merrick Avenue Middle School Merrick

601 Plainview Rd @ Charles Campagne School Bethpage

101 Carman Ave @ East Meadow High School East Meadow

1880 Dutch Broadway @ Dutch Broadway School Elmont

560 Nassau Blvd @ John Street School Franklin Square

1170 Peninsula Blvd @ Woodmere Middle School Woodmere

520 South Oyster Bay Rd @ Our Lady of Mercy School Hicksville

45 Wantagh Ave South @ Island Trees Middle School Levittown

678 Cantiague Rock Rd @ Cantiague Elementary School Jericho

3369 Old Jerusalem Rd @ Gen. Douglas MacArthur H S. Levittown

237 Lido Blvd @ Lido Elementary School Lido Beach

27 Shelter Rock Rd @ Shelter Rock Elementary School Manhasset

350 Unqua Rd @ Unqua Elementary School East Massapequa

108 Merrick Ave @ Chatterton School Merrick

300 New Hyde Park Rd @ New Hyde Park Rd New Hyde Park

BILLBENNETTPHOTO.COM

1712 Merrick Ave @ Camp Avenue School North Merrick

1 Flower Rd @ Schwarting Elementary School Massapequa

300 Manetto Hill Rd @ Parkway School Plainview

140 West Centennial Ave @ Centennial Ave School Roosevelt

3 Glen Cove Rd @ Harbor Hill School Greenvale

1575 Seamans Neck Rd @ Seaford High School Seaford

580 Woodbury Rd @ Baylis Elementary School Plainview

400 Nassau Blvd @ West Hempstead High School West Hempstead

101 Maple Avenue @ St. Brigid/Our Lady of Hope School Westbury

170 Rockaway Ave @ Garden City High School Garden City

341 Lakeville Rd @ Great Neck South Sr./Jr. H.S. Great Neck

529 Merrick Rd @ Lynbrook North Middle School Lynbrook

75 Ocean Ave @ Malvern Sr. High School Malverne

1601 Newbridge Rd @ Newbridge Road School Bellmore

705 Pt Washington Blvd @ C P W Middle School Port Washington

975 Jerusalem Ave @ Turtle Hook Middle School Uniondale

505 Glen Cove Ave @ N Shore Middle School Glenwood Landing
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
NASSAU COUNTY SPEED CAMERA'S
This does not include the white moving vans with camera's on them.. (photo attached) Ok here it is. Here are the slot machines (I mean speed camera's) for Nassau County. Study the locations because you will need to know why you received a ticket in the mail.......

BILLBENNETTPHOTO.COM

15 Pershing Blvd @ St. Christopher School Baldwin

1870 Merrick Ave @ Merrick Avenue Middle School Merrick

601 Plainview Rd @ Charles Campagne School Bethpage

101 Carman Ave @ East Meadow High School East Meadow

1880 Dutch Broadway @ Dutch Broadway School Elmont

560 Nassau Blvd @ John Street School Franklin Square

1170 Peninsula Blvd @ Woodmere Middle School Woodmere

520 South Oyster Bay Rd @ Our Lady of Mercy School Hicksville

45 Wantagh Ave South @ Island Trees Middle School Levittown

678 Cantiague Rock Rd @ Cantiague Elementary School Jericho

3369 Old Jerusalem Rd @ Gen. Douglas MacArthur H S. Levittown

237 Lido Blvd @ Lido Elementary School Lido Beach

27 Shelter Rock Rd @ Shelter Rock Elementary School Manhasset

350 Unqua Rd @ Unqua Elementary School East Massapequa

108 Merrick Ave @ Chatterton School Merrick

300 New Hyde Park Rd @ New Hyde Park Rd New Hyde Park

BILLBENNETTPHOTO.COM

1712 Merrick Ave @ Camp Avenue School North Merrick

1 Flower Rd @ Schwarting Elementary School Massapequa

300 Manetto Hill Rd @ Parkway School Plainview

140 West Centennial Ave @ Centennial Ave School Roosevelt

3 Glen Cove Rd @ Harbor Hill School Greenvale

1575 Seamans Neck Rd @ Seaford High School Seaford

580 Woodbury Rd @ Baylis Elementary School Plainview

400 Nassau Blvd @ West Hempstead High School West Hempstead

101 Maple Avenue @ St. Brigid/Our Lady of Hope School Westbury

170 Rockaway Ave @ Garden City High School Garden City

341 Lakeville Rd @ Great Neck South Sr./Jr. H.S. Great Neck

529 Merrick Rd @ Lynbrook North Middle School Lynbrook

75 Ocean Ave @ Malvern Sr. High School Malverne

1601 Newbridge Rd @ Newbridge Road School Bellmore

705 Pt Washington Blvd @ C P W Middle School Port Washington

975 Jerusalem Ave @ Turtle Hook Middle School Uniondale

505 Glen Cove Ave @ N Shore Middle School Glenwood Landing
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Interesting list.  I am surprised that Shelter Rock School is getting the camera as the Munsey Park School on NY-25A has a better trap for speeding as it is a wide-open stretch with a downward slope and a really low speed limit compared to the rest of the road.

Also the North Shore Middle School is in Glen Head, not Glenwood Landing AND the High School is across the street so it actually covers two schools.  No surprise on that one as there is a lot of speeding and a teacher was hit a year and a half ago by a reckless driver while he was crossing the street.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I saw one of the mobile ones going up on Cantiague Rock Rd yesterday around 1:30. It was being followed by a NCPWD van on the way to the public works building.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:33:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone know if these cameras will generate a summons on weekends ?    I think I may be owing Princess Cumhole a few bucks...
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anyone know if these cameras will generate a summons on weekends ?    I think I may be owing Princess Cumhole a few bucks...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

According to Newsday:

"The state law that authorized the cameras allows one in each school district -- 56 in Nassau and 69 in Suffolk -- and permits cameras to operate on school days, from one hour before school until one hour after, as well as during other school events and for a half-hour before and after."
"Each will carry a $50 fine, plus the $30 administrative fee added to all traffic violations."
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

According to Newsday:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

According to Newsday:

"The state law that authorized the cameras allows one in each school district -- 56 in Nassau and 69 in Suffolk -- and permits cameras to operate on school days, from one hour before school until one hour after, as well as during other school events and for a half-hour before and after."

"Each will carry a $50 fine, plus the $30 administrative fee added to all traffic violations."

Which means the school could host weekly all day "Beautiful Weekend" events on Saturday's and Sunday's and have their zone in force.  Do not underestimate our overlords capacity to invent situations out of thin air in order to get around what would normally be a logical interpretation of the law.  I suspect there would not have to even be any body at the school.  Just posting that there is an "official" event in effect.  Much like congress holds "pro forma" sessions with empty chambers.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:17:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Which means the school could host weekly all day "Beautiful Weekend" events on Saturday's and Sunday's and have their zone in force.  Do not underestimate our overlords capacity to invent situations out of thin air in order to get around what would normally be a logical interpretation of the law.  I suspect there would not have to even be any body at the school.  Just posting that there is an "official" event in effect.  Much like congress holds "pro forma" sessions with empty chambers.

View Quote

They have to close that $242 million budget gap somehow.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#23]
One hour before school or the school speed zone times? Right now, it's 7AM-6PM. I'm guessing that means 6AM-7PM. Also, NY is sometimes unique to the Winter recess they get here or make-up days. Those things will have to be connected remotely or controlled from a central computer to update the date and time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top