Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 3:09:03 PM EDT
Any idea what they are?  I might call or visit the county seat tomorrow and ask or call the sherriff's office, but I thought I'd ask here.  I'm an out of state property owner and have a few guns up here.  Nothing crazy...all my cool stuff is in Florida.  I've got a single shot .22, a rem 700 in 22-250, a 30/30 lever action, and a few shotguns.  

I'm not sure what the rules are about shooting up here.  I have a huge back yard (6 acres) and own a field that connects to the back yard that is probably about 20-30 acres or so.  I don't know if it's cool to just throw a couple of cans out there in the field and use one of the hills as a backstop.

Anyone have any ideas?  In florida we can just shoot in our back yards; it's protected, as long as its not reckless or negligent and the bullet doesnt leave the property.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
State law says you cannot shoot within 500' of an occupied dwelling.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, that helps.  Not sure how I'm going to measure that, but I can certainly try
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
State law says you cannot shoot within 500' of an occupied dwelling.
View Quote

Unless you own it or have permission from the owner.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:21:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Depending on where you are there are fish and game clubs all over that have ranges. Lewis is $15 for a year. Elizabethtown I think is $20. Maybe that's an option for you as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:06:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depending on where you are there are fish and game clubs all over that have ranges. Lewis is $15 for a year. Elizabethtown I think is $20. Maybe that's an option for you as well.
View Quote

That's probably the route I'll go then.  That's really cheap and though I'd love to be able to just walk into my back yard or the field and pop a few off,  I really am pretty nervous about the laws here and getting picked up for some firearms violation I didn't even know about.  I'll probably just take the safe route.

Any idea what kind of distances we're talking about at those fish and game clubs?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Lewis has 250 I think. Elizabethtown might only be 100 or 150. PM me. I have some membership cards for lewis if you want to go that route. I have been a member there since I was 16. I always get my membership at the essex county fair and the give me 2 or 3 extra cards for something like this.

Depending on where you are chesterfield might be an option as well. They have a 300 yrd range and a decent pistol set-up as well. Only down side is they do idpa stuff there and they have a ton of members so it can get busy there from time to time. Lewis is a small club, If you are there during the week you are almost gauranteed to have the range to yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top