Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 5:27:36 AM EDT
i'll pass but there's a sucker born every minute ( or is it ten seconds)

last time I ever walk in that shop, blatant rape.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
i'll pass but there's a sucker born every minute ( or is it ten seconds)

last time I ever walk in that shop, blatant rape.
View Quote

$40 bucks...  Holy Christ, even Campsite is cheaper than that.  Mark is a nice guy, but he's gotta stop this type of shit.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd never spend a dime in that shop.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea, but that includes haz.mat.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#5]
What a pal!

I see guys posting about buying powder for circa $20 out in mid western states when it's available.  yeah I get supply and demand but I can say no, just like no to $90 bricks of Rem golden bullets.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#6]
IMHO dealing reloading components (and ammunition for that matter) is a business you're either full in or out.
Shipping costs are high, margins are slim, and the big boys ordering pallets of components make it damn difficult to make it worthwhile.
Current Dealer cost for most Hogden powders is $21.95 per pound. Some distributors will allow mixing for case quantities/discount (<5% discount) then there's the $25. HAZMAT tag and UPS/FedEx charges on top of that, then there's supply; Beikirch's in Rochester orders powder literally by the truck load (they have their own tractor/trailer) and for the last three years have only had fractions of their orders filled, same is to be said of primers.

Routinely I see pounds of powder with the asking price of $50. per pound which is ludicrous, and I even think the $35. or so a pound GM charges is outrageous, but for those who need or want it now and have no other suitable source, well they're just going to have to swallow it.  
The Shop I associate with stocks a LOT of powder; always has and almost always had powder because when she'd sell it, she'd order it back in quantity to making damn sure it was in stock or there was enough to last if it wasn't available.
Bullets: If you stocked every number Hornady makes except the one that's back ordered, that would be the one everyone wanted Think of all the different bullets made by the big guys; SIerra, Nosler, Hornady, Speer, etc. how much inventory and money would you have to invest to have a decent selection?
For the most part ammo is in the same boat; I can't speak for other shops, but for the most part there's only a 25% (+/- 2%) mark up: (She always rounds up or down to .95) And they always make sure they have ammunition for any gun they stock. (nothing like buying a new gun and can't get ammo for it; Re:Remington

See to many businesses from Mom & Pop Shops, to major manufacturers, to Dealers, to Government have gotten away from having stock/supplies/parts "on hand" to this "on demand" model; problem is when the supplier doesn't have it because they don't have inventory, YOU don't get it either. We could go into the lean-six-sigma argument, but having been on the receiving end where I can't effect repairs because no parts are on hand, the warehouse doesn't stock them, and the maker isn't doing another run for six months really sucks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Do a search on all of Craigslist. It is routinely sold for $50 a pound. I'm not saying it's right, but if you NEED Varget and can't get it. Camp Perry is right around the corner. An extra $25 is nothing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do a search on all of Craigslist. It is routinely sold for $50 a pound. I'm not saying it's right, but if you NEED Varget and can't get it. Camp Perry is right around the corner. An extra $25 is nothing.
View Quote

Ironically I was in Alabama and there was an armslist ad for a guy wanting to traded (3) unopened cans of varget for the same H4350 and I had it, but not being a varget shooter didn't bother calling (he was even in the same area)
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:28:34 AM EDT
[#9]

That's about the only gun store on Long Island that I've never bought from.

For good reason.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:59:36 AM EDT
[#10]
It's pathetic and offensive to take advantage of a customer for 15$ that could and just did potentially cost them thousands..

This is not unique to Hunter Sports, too many LGS around here act like they are doing us a favor.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's pathetic and offensive to take advantage of a customer for 15$ that could and just did potentially cost them thousands..

This is not unique to Hunter Sports, too many LGS around here act like they are doing us a favor.
View Quote

"Stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime."  
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Frankly, I refuse to deal with any of the ones near me these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top