Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2014 6:31:55 AM EDT
At the local gun stores I was seeing dozens of people selling their ARs,  also the state police said they are swamped with people just turning over guns . one trooper said a woman who owned a preban AK turned it in because she didn't think she was allowed to own it anymore. The sad thing is the people who were bringing the guns in were old farts, the parents of people etc. People are morons, having their old mother or grandfather turn in the guns. They were getting only a few hundred dollars for brand new bushmaster XM15s etc. This is the problem, you have old farts and girlfriends who will report you.  One lady came in and said I want to turn this gun in because my boyfriend isn't allowed to own it.

I had to leave the gun store, if I had to hear some old farts Fudd say one more time "my son had this stupid assault rifle and I took it away etc"...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:38:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

At the local gun stores I was seeing dozens of people selling their ARs,  also the state police said they are swamped with people just turning over guns . one trooper said a woman who owned a preban AK turned it in because she didn't think she was allowed to own it anymore. The sad thing is the people who were bringing the guns in were old farts, the parents of people etc. People are morons, having their old mother or grandfather turn in the guns. They were getting only a few hundred dollars for brand new bushmaster XM15s etc. This is the problem, you have old farts and girlfriends who will report you.  One lady came in and said I want to turn this gun in because my boyfriend isn't allowed to own it.

I had to leave the gun store, if I had to hear some old farts Fudd say one more time "my son had this stupid assault rifle and I took it away etc"...
View Quote

surprised they weren't all arrested since its after the deadline?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#2]
WOW, this is crazy. Didn't expect to see this happen. That shady girlfriend will be kicked to the curb when her boyfriend gets home to clean his rifle!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WOW, this is crazy. Didn't expect to see this happen. That shady girlfriend will be kicked to the curb when her boyfriend gets home to clean his rifle!
View Quote

If I had guns is turn them in....
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Is this a joke? What gun store is that and where's a confirmed media report of people turning their weapons in to the SP? And since when is the police paying for the turned in guns?

Something is fishy, OP.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Guys relax, I'm not saying hundreds of people were turning guns in, it was around a dozen people near Rochester NY. State police location was Canandaigua NY. State police who came into gun store said they were "swamped with people coming in". Not everyone is going to be bad asses like us and keep them, you had Grandpa and Grandma Fudd taking little Johnny bushmaster back to store etc. Girlfriends turning in felon boyfriends AKs etc

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, people do simply go to police stations and say "here, I want to give this to you".
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a drop in a bucket compared to whats out there. No big deal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#8]
My buddy's shop is selling them on Gunbroker as "Cuomo's Orphans" asking people to adopt them and give them a good home.

I come up with the greatest ideas!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I guess people heard that registration=confiscation over and over again and just turned them in.  Saves time this way.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#10]
It's disappointing...well at least we know where we stand compared to Connecticut.  

I thought NYers were supposed to be tough, not limp wristed sissys.

Maybe I should go stand outside of my local gun store with some cash and just buy some accessories off rifles before jackasses turn them in.  "Give you $10 for your bolt and bolt carrier before you turn it in"
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes, people do simply go to police stations and say "here, I want to give this to you".
View Quote

They sure do.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's disappointing...well at least we know where we stand compared to Connecticut.
View Quote

Meh, they had people complying too.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Must be a down-State thing 'cuz it ain't happ'n up here.....guns coming into the Shop are being "modified" and returned, no reports from Troopers of guns being surrendered, however there are reports of e-mails advising officers on what and how to handle AW's
Time and communications from both  sides are imperative.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I asked the trooper, it was around 12 people who came and dropped off guns. One lady was a moron, she turned in a preban AK worth $2000...she could have sold it.

2 million assault rifles, it was bound to happen that grandpa Fudd turned in his grand sons bushmaster etc

You have morons panicking cutting off bay lugs on sks rifles etc. People are just retarded

One guy who owns an sks thinks the magazine on bottom swings open and the cops are gonna get him. I told him relax, it's original and you owned it before and the ten Rd is fixed etc. Some people shouldn't own guns
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Not everyone pours over gun forums on the web every waking hour. Most people don't understand unSAFE and I don't blame them. I'm not sure I even totally understand it yet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Must be a down-State thing 'cuz it ain't happ'n up here.....guns coming into the Shop are being "modified" and returned, no reports from Troopers of guns being surrendered, however there are reports of e-mails advising officers on what and how to handle AW's
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He also said: "State police location was Canandaigua NY". That's not exactly "downstate". Maybe for some but that is pretty much CNY. I'm almost surprised the people turning them in aren't being arrested!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#19]
What are the cops doing with the guns that get turned in?  Destruction?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's a drop in a bucket compared to whats out there. No big deal.
View Quote

This.

Until I see numbers, I'm going to hold off and wait before I set my hair on fire and run in circles screaming.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes they do.
One of my coworkers was at a Buffalo gun store recently and reported when he came back that the place was full of old ARs. I predicted then  that's what was going on..people dumping what they had for what they could get out of it
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I asked the trooper, it was around 12 people who came and dropped off guns. One lady was a moron, she turned in a preban AK worth $2000...she could have sold it.

2 million assault rifles, it was bound to happen that grandpa Fudd turned in his grand sons bushmaster etc

You have morons panicking cutting off bay lugs on sks rifles etc. People are just retarded

One guy who owns an sks thinks the magazine on bottom swings open and the cops are gonna get him. I told him relax, it's original and you owned it before and the ten Rd is fixed etc. Some people shouldn't own guns
View Quote

You should run for NY State Justice with that attitude.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll go there...

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Reminds me of people turning over low mileage Trans Ams to get the $2k for cash for clunkers .  Those YouTube vids made me cringe .
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#26]

That must have been a gun that someone tipped them to or turned in as part of a street level plea bargaining, and the Substandard purposefully reported incorrectly.  There is no way that they would have been randomly checking a pile of debris in a yard of a vacant house on the westside.  There are scores of vacant houses like that on the west side.  Look at the condition of that gun, too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:They aren't going to can't bother anyone who hands over their guns to the police unless they are stolen, you are a felon or you lie about how you obtained the firearm.  
View Quote

Penal Law § 265.20 Exemptions.
   a.  Paragraph  (h)  of  subdivision  twenty-two  of section 265.00 and
 sections 265.01, 265.01-a, subdivision one of section 265.01-b,  265.02,
 265.03,  265.04, 265.05, 265.10, 265.11, 265.12, 265.13, 265.15, 265.36,
 265.37 and 270.05 shall not apply to:
   1. Possession of  any  of  the  weapons,  instruments,  appliances  or
 substances  specified in sections 265.01, 265.02, 265.03, 265.04, 265.05
 and 270.05 by the following:
   (f)  A  person  voluntarily  surrendering  such  weapon,   instrument,
 appliance  or  substance......
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That must have been a gun that someone tipped them to or turned in as part of a street level plea bargaining, and the Substandard purposefully reported incorrectly.  There is no way that they would have been randomly checking a pile of debris in a yard of a vacant house on the westside.  There are scores of vacant houses like that on the west side.  Look at the condition of that gun, too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Plus they are being disingenuous...it's a freakin .22! Would they get as tweaked over a 10/22....fuckin scumbags....
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#29]
The majority of the sheep WILL get on that train. Nothing you can do about it either....
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys are your own worst enemy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The majority of the sheep WILL get on that train. Nothing you can do about it either....
View Quote

All the while shouting "But what choice do we have? It's the LAW!!!"

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Even if 5000 people turn in two guns each, that's only 10,000 guns.   A drop in the bucket.

And I call BS.  Local shops in the Canandaigua  area aren't showing any more resales than normal.   So BULLSHIT.

If you want to push the issue I can find out how many have been turned in at Canandigua NYSP and I assure you it wlll be near zero.

So your sources are full of BS.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:55:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Meh........... If at all true, it's just a drop in the bucket. I don't think people even realize on how much is actually out there! I think if the true number of so called battle rifles, ammo stockpiles, and high cap mags  were actually known, people would be in awe! It wasn't that long ago that gun shows even here in NY were quite impressive. I remember seeing cases upon cases of ammo stacked like cordwood, piles of high cap mags, not to mention a wide enough selection of battle rifles to makes even the best of want to shed a few tears on how good we actually had it for a while. So if these reports are even true, the numbers that they are spitting out at us are truly laughable.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:29:17 AM EDT
[#34]
It was business as usual at my lgs. While picking up my Mini-14 yesterday, One gentleman was buying a .300 Blackout upper, while another was picking up two handguns. G42 and a ruger LC9. The talk was mostly fuck Cuomo blah, blah,blah.

While I don't doubt this is going on, it's probably just a drop in the bucket. However, the media will portraty it as massive compliance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:52:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:55:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:37:19 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't believe this story
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:45:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:45:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Douchenozzle