Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 12:16:47 PM EDT
So according to the rumor mill, the NYSP will be setting up traffic checkpoints this weekend near shooting ranges trying to catch people with unregistered MSRs.  Anybody else heard this?  That's supposed to be just one part of new directives just issued by Prince Andy and the NYSP brass for enforcement of unSAFE.

I know, only believe 10% of what you hear, but many rumors do have at least some small grain of truth to them.  I'm sure the Prince would love to make examples of a few people.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#2]
"Am I being detained?"
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So according to the rumor mill, the NYSP will be setting up traffic checkpoints this weekend near shooting ranges trying to catch people with unregistered MSRs.  Anybody else heard this?  That's supposed to be just one part of new directives just issued by Prince Andy and the NYSP brass for enforcement of unSAFE.

I know, only believe 10% of what you hear, but many rumors do have at least some small grain of truth to them.  I'm sure the Prince would love to make examples of a few people.

View Quote

I doubt it, but if I were going to the range it would be in a locked case in my locked trunk, and the words "get a warrant" and "I do NOT consent to a search" would be spilling from my mouth like motherfucking Rain Man.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Doubt it was a directive, but you may see some loitering.  Honestly, it'd be a stretch - aside from the excellent advice Hiram states, Troopers have better things to do than sit on the corner and harass gun club attendees.  Word travels fast on the internet, and if you see Troopers doing it, post it up.  Get some folks down there with signs saying - "Range Closed, keep driving, you're being watched"

I mean a judge just said that flashing your headlights in warning of a speed trap is protected by the First Amendment - so how would that be any different?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doubt it was a directive, but you may see some loitering.  Honestly, it'd be a stretch - aside from the excellent advice Hiram states, Troopers have better things to do than sit on the corner and harass gun club attendees.  Word travels fast on the internet, and if you see Troopers doing it, post it up.  Get some folks down there with signs saying - "Range Closed, keep driving, you're being watched"

I mean a judge just said that flashing your headlights in warning of a speed trap is protected by the First Amendment - so how would that be any different?  
View Quote

and under no circumstances let them taker your cardboard guns!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#7]

State cops' 'Speed Week' to target aggressive drivers

Speeding and aggressive drivers will be targeted as part of a weeklong enforcement initiative starting Thursday, State Police said.

The aim of the initiative, dubbed "Speed Week," is to reduce speed-related crashes and improve safe travel for drivers and passengers on New York's roads, State Police said in a news release.

Speeding, as well as other traffic violations, will be heavily enforced throughout the week in addition to normal year-round enforcement, the release said.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said in a statement that "Speed Week" calls for State Police to be "out in force across New York cracking down on drivers who break the law, putting themselves and others at risk."

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Aren't we all supposed to go to the range Saturday and mag dump at noon?

https://www.facebook.com/events/1417022425204925/?ref=22
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]
NYSP are notorious for setting up checkpoints for motorcyclists to do nothing more than harass them. So, why couldn't they simply set up on a road near a range for a simple "vehicle inspection checkpoint" while looking for bigger fish like your evil AR in your back seat?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

NYSP are notorious for setting up checkpoints for motorcyclists to do nothing more than harass them. So, why couldn't they simply set up on a road near a range for a simple "vehicle inspection checkpoint" while looking for bigger fish like your evil AR in your back seat?
View Quote

if its in a case in your back seat they still have no right to check it..  no cause for a proper search and no warrant...  

i would be best to troll these fuckers and stuff a bunch of gun cases with bacon, KY and condoms with a note " FUAC, FUSP"  

what is their plan?  stop every vehicle that travels down the same road that has a gun range on it and just start flinging your shit around?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Troopers have better things to do than sit on the corner and harass gun club attendees.  
View Quote

I think WE all agree that troopers have better things to do, and I do believe most of them would much rather be doing something constructive, but if Prince Andy or D'Amico (sp?) pushed the issue and did issue a directive then there are going to be checkpoints.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd love to see them try this at the Rochester Rifle Club, they gonna stop every car going over the Winton rd Bridge? Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Whispering campaign. Feel that fascism closing in.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Well for post 2000 I would like to just add FUAC and your jack booted punk bitches. I hope you put check points on every corner. Lets get this show started.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"Am I being detained?"
View Quote

No. You're not under arrest. You're being held for questioning.

(At which point you repeat what you said...  and so do they)
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Am I being detained?"

In that case officer, I'd like my lawyer... Can we order pizza while we wait?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I went to the range today.  No state police were seen.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's because it isn't Safe Act Saturday.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol I'm probably going to go shooting on Saturday. But only my evil sniper bolt gun cause that's still legal for now
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll go to the range on Saturday too.............only it'll probably be in Pennsylvania
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#22]
The club here is off a dead end road where driving more than 30 is not good (curvy and lots of houses), so if they're lurking around the GC exit road, they will be obvious. About all they'll get from me, if this crap is true, is "I'm calling my lawyer" through a slightly opened window. No way will I exit the vehicle - PERIOD.

They want to play asshole, fine. But, frankly and can't see it happening around here or anywhere else. Unless they have a crap load of goons like the jerk who led the dangerous assault on the wooden gun carrying guy at the rally.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Lol I'm probably going to go shooting on Saturday. But only my evil sniper bolt gun cause that's still legal for now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still trying to choose between my 870 tacti-cool or a 5-shot Winchester 1895 in 30/06.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Am I being detained?"

So, a question for the lawyer/LEO types:

What exactly is the difference, or better yet, what rights does someone have if the police say they're being detained (besides obviously the right to remain silent)?  What may the police do when they "detain" you without arresting you?  Bring you to the station, keep you pulled over on the side of the road for hours, etc???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top