Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2013 4:11:09 PM EDT
So how is this working now? You must show up in person? Which county is the friendliest/quickest that is closest to the Rockland/Orange co area?

Anybody do this recently, and what was the turn-around like?
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#1]
call berks i think that is closet they will issue a ltf
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I left at 7:15 this morning, and got back at 4:50pm.  

Renewed at Centre county

Thruway to Rt 84 to 81 to 80 to 220 (?), to 550, street by the courthouse, up the hill, down the hill, parked, walked up 14 steps, 9 more, up to the office, and it took half an hour. They did 17 this morning.

Bring a photocopy of your drivers license and pistol license, the names, phones, and addresses of 2 references in NY, and $20.

Walked out with a plastic photo license. Wife did it too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Renewed at Centre county

Thruway to Rt 84 to 81 to 80 to 220 (?), to 550, street by the courthouse, up the hill, down the hill, parked, walked up 14 steps, 9 more, up to the office, and it took half an hour. They did 17 this morning.

Bring a photocopy of your drivers license and pistol license, the names, phones, and addresses of 2 references in NY, and $20.

View Quote

Are you required to do the renewal in the same county that issued the non-res?  Also, what's with the references?
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Are you required to do the renewal in the same county that issued the non-res?  Also, what's with the references?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Renewed at Centre county

Two people to stand up for you.  The forum is two pages long fuac and Funys
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Renewed at Centre county

View Quote

Any chance of it being that fast for a first time application?

Centre Co sure is a far drive.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Dup
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 5:17:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Renewed at Centre county

Yep, wife's was a first time application, 10 minutes and she had her PA permit.  We went there this summer, in and out
in 20 minutes or so.

Link Posted: 12/28/2013 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a Centre County permit, but it went through the wash or something. Think they will send me a duplicate?
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#9]
My original was Centre Co. (by mail $26.00) then when we needed to apply in person, I went to Lancaster ($20.00 plus a lot of gas) for my renewal .  I ran into a few snags as the statewide computer system was down on two different Mondays, so it took us three trips for a renewal.

Bill
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Most of the PA counties will not issue a non resident permit if you do not have a NYS full carry.  Centre Co will.  It is a long ride to Centre County but the people there were great and we were in and out in 10-15 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Wayne county is quick.
I think it's the closest county to you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I recently went to Lackawana County.  The Sheriff's office there is in Scranton, Pistol Licensing Office is on the 2nd floor.

They could not have been nicer or more accomodating!  Great girls that work there, very nice, very professional.

Twenty Bucks, Twenty Minutes (if that).  Walked out with a plastic license to replace my expiring paper one from Centre County.  That was just too much of a drive for me.  If I had to go that far, I probably would not have bothered, to be honest.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I recently went to Lackawana County.  The Sheriff's office there is in Scranton, Pistol Licensing Office is on the 2nd floor.

They could not have been nicer or more accomodating!  Great girls that work there, very nice, very professional.

Twenty Bucks, Twenty Minutes (if that).  Walked out with a plastic license to replace my expiring paper one from Centre County.  That was just too much of a drive for me.  If I had to go that far, I probably would not have bothered, to be honest.
View Quote

I hear you, brother! My wife and daughter made a day of it, and we had a great time doing it. If I had known about Scranton or  Wayne, I would have tried there. There is a real lack of info on a Google search about this.

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had a Centre County permit, but it went through the wash or something. Think they will send me a duplicate?
View Quote

I requested a replacement as I lost a wallet with mine in it.  Sandy over there sent one at N/C.  I'm looking back at some records, it looks like I was able to do it over the phone, as far as the request.  Hopefully you have a copy to reference on hand.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 4:49:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry to hijack but who know of one near Binghamton that issues?
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Sorry to hijack but who know of one near Binghamton that issues?
View Quote
I was also looking into this, but unfortunately it appears as though Honesdale and Scranton are the closest options. Susquehanna County and Bradford County both stopped issuing non-res permits back in May. If you own property in either county, they will...but you're out of luck if you don't. I also spoke with a woman at the Sheriff's office in Honesdale, and she mentioned that "Full-Carry" or "Unrestricted" must be printed on your permit somewhere.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have an unrestricted permit but it doesn't say anything like that on it. I know nothing about PA law, can the Sheriff just make shit up like that (ie like NY does)  
View Quote

That's strange.  Mine says "unrestricted" plain as day on it.  Maybe because my county issues mostly "target / hunting, etc." licenses.  Aimless, are all licenses in your county unrestricted?  Maybe that's why, as it goes without saying there.

As to the latitude given PA sheriffs, I'd say it's pretty wide, since some do not issues non-res altogether, while others freely do.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine has the date I originally received my "hunting/target" permit, and "full carry" printed next to the date I received the unrestricted.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Careful about getting a new permit. I heard a horror story at a handgun training class. Guy went to get the new plastic PP and it came back restricted to Sportsman.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Careful about getting a new permit. I heard a horror story at a handgun training class. Guy went to get the new plastic PP and it came back restricted to Sportsman.
View Quote

Must have been a reason?  What county?
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know if it is related,  but when I applied over in Media, PA for my non-resident, there was a question on the app asking to state reason for permit.  I asked the lady at the counter what to put and she told me to put"self defense". Perhaps if this fellow did the typical NY thing and put Target shooting or hunting for the reason,  that might be cause for the restriction. (?)
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New judge with a vendetta?
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's strange.  Mine says "unrestricted" plain as day on it.  Maybe because my county issues mostly "target / hunting, etc." licenses.  Aimless, are all licenses in your county unrestricted?  Maybe that's why, as it goes without saying there.

As to the latitude given PA sheriffs, I'd say it's pretty wide, since some do not issues non-res altogether, while others freely do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an unrestricted permit but it doesn't say anything like that on it. I know nothing about PA law, can the Sheriff just make shit up like that (ie like NY does)  

Problem is no one has sued a Sheffir in state court in pa.  Not worth the hassle for what I have been informed.  Being a common wealth the rules are very different than a state.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wayne County Sheriff, 925 Court St, Honesdale, PA.

Directions
View Quote

When did you get your permit in Wayne County?  It appears Wayne are no longer issuing non-res permits.

Is Lancaster County still issuing?

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's where I picked mine up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long ago was that?
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How long ago was that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long ago was that?

2013...04/16

Bill

ETA: It was considered a new issue, I guess they did not think my Center County was my first PA license.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

2013...04/16

Bill

ETA: It was considered a new issue, I guess they did not think my Center County was my first PA license.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long ago was that?

2013...04/16

Bill

That's at the time Pike and bunch of other stopped issuing non res permits. Would not surprise me if Lancaster went the same way.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
When did you get your permit in Wayne County?  It appears Wayne are no longer issuing non-res permits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Directions

I just spoke with someone in the Wayne County Sheriffs dept. this past Monday. They were still issuing then.

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 1:08:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I just spoke with someone in the Wayne County Sheriffs dept. this past Monday. They were still issuing then.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Directions

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 3:36:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's at the time Pike and bunch of other stopped issuing non res permits. Would not surprise me if Lancaster went the same way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long ago was that?

2013...04/16

Bill

What I did when they went to "Must be in person" application process, is call all nearby counties to determine who would issue.
If you need a PA permit, just start calling all sheriffs office.  Then again, we could talk about it for weeks on end here...  

Bill
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#35]
OP Update

Info for Wayne Co. for anyone interested.
Requires NY unrestricted licence
2 character references are put down on PA application form and letters are mailed to your references.
5 dollars when app is dropped off. 15 more when PA LTCF is approved.
New application is not a one-time trip. One trip to drop off the paperwork and another trip to pick up the licence once it's been approved.

07Jan: Filled out forms located at  http://co.wayne.pa.us/sheriff/ under LTCF section. Brought them down in person. One of my references came along for the ride so he filled out the letter while we were there. Submitted the paperwork, gave the clerk 5 dollars and got my picture taken.

Few days later my other reference got the character reference letter in the mail.

21Jan: Approval letter came in the mail dated 16Jan.
22Jan: Drove down with the approval letter and paid the remaining 15 dollars and the clerk printed and lamented the LTCF.

The girl working behind the counter was very nice and helpful. I was in the office no more than 10 minutes each time. Very quick and easy. The drive is the worst part.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Can someone get a PA permit with a NY premises permit?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope has to be full carry

Now if you move to pa. Its the same application 2 page form, max 45 days to obtain it.. Plus no pistols are listed on it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#39]
In general, I like PA.  It's a nice state with nice people and mostly 2A rights friendly.  I would have no problem renewing my non-resident PA permit via US Mail but between my Utah non-res and NH non-resident permit I don't really need to drive to PA to renew my PA non-res.  At least according to:

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here but PA is just throwing easy money away by not at least allowing renewals via US Mail.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:43:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that part of the new law along with having to apply in person?  When I got my PA permit from Centre County about 3-4 years ago, they issued me one based on a restricted NY permit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:08:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Is that part of the new law along with having to apply in person?  When I got my PA permit from Centre County about 3-4 years ago, they issued me one based on a restricted NY permit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember Pa is a common wealth.. Different way how things operate in the "state".

In the common wealth laws there is nothing that's states it must be a full carry for an out-state permit. Sheriffs are using what ever they want to "not process" your permit application.

The catch is this you would have to submit your application and have them deny it and than you would have to sue the sheriff  in state court Harrisburg. It is a shall issue state.If you win and they have to issue your permit every time you reapply for your permit  when it expires you have to check you were denied a permit and that could be a reason for non renewal kicking of another court battle.  

Your better off going with a Utah permit many more states you can carry legally in it than just the PA permit.

The reasons why i obtained my non resident permit were I spend all my money and free time in PA, FUAC, FUNYS, and i plan on moving into PA next July time frame. Since i already have a non resident permit i prove I'm a resident and they do the pics check and issue me the pa permit on the spot.

To me PA is just a jump point to get out of NYS. I only have my kids here and NYS and its up to them to either leave or stay they will be all over 18 by next year, but I'm out. My wife and I have our remaining family in southern NJ and i refuse to go to another communist shite hole. So PA was a place i could enjoy hunting, fishing, shooting while are parents are still alive.

After they are gone PA maybe not be option any longer it will become any red state as an option at that point.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:01:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I dropped my PA permit.  The UT one is good in PA, and a whole lot of other states.  Could also go with FL, too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I dropped my PA permit.  The UT one is good in PA, and a whole lot of other states.  Could also go with FL, too.
View Quote

My view point if your not looking at moving to PA i would go with UT permit its a win win since  many more states at this point you can carry in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

A non-res FL permit is no longer any good in PA.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Imagine the shitstorm if states decided driver's licenses were treated like CCW permits?

I want that just to piss everyone off.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My view point if your not looking at moving to PA i would go with UT permit its a win win since  many more states at this point you can carry in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the non-res PA license expedite or simplify the process upon moving to PA or something?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Does the non-res PA license expedite or simplify the process upon moving to PA or something?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes as soon as you become a resident and can prove it. You go to the local sheriff office and apply they do the pics check again and issue you your permit on the spot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

yes as soon as you become a resident and can prove it. You go to the local sheriff office and apply they do the pics check again and issue you your permit on the spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet!  Hope to see that in action in a few months!
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top