Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2012 9:39:58 AM EDT
Looking to build my first AR. Ive noticed there are alot of items I can't have with my AR living in the state of New York. Threaded flash suppressor, collapsible stock, ect. Ive noticed BCM wont ship there lowers to NY. I'm not sure if there is something with there lowers specifically that is illegal in NY or if they just wont ship them at all to NY. (and does that go for other lowers from other manufacturers) Id also like a muzzle break, but I understand it has to be pined and welded. I know Larue will pin and weld it when you buy the entire rifle but I'm finding it hard to find a barrel with it pined and welded on already. Id prefer to build,learn and enjoy the process than to buy the rifle entirely. But if the laws in NY are going to make this process a headache from the start, id rather buy and have it compliant. Any advice?
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Move...

Just kidding. I live in this crap hole myself. You have a couple of options. You can try to piece together a ban compliant rifle, but that is usually a bit of a pain. You can buy a complete ban compliant rifle from a local dealer. Or do like most of us...buy a pre-ban lower and you don't need to be concerned about the ban at all. They pop up from time to time in the EE and on gunbroker. Plan to spend anywhere from $500-800 for the lower. It sounds like a lot, but it opens up a whole new world when building the rifle. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got an upper from Spike's Tactical and they will remove the Bayo lug for you (i forgot to ask) for like $10 i think...

Also, they will pin a stock for 10-15...  the local gun shop told me to pin and epoxy the pin (just some over it)... so it is clearly not adjustable any longer, but could be adjusted by an armorer with the right tools, or a hack like me with a dremmel, lots of time and low standards for asthetics....

My compensator (and i was told it had to be advertised as a compensator, not a slash hider/noise suppressor) was pinned and welded from the factory, no additional charge for mine on that, as it was a 14.5" so it needed it to avoid running foul of other laws... but i do think the threaded barrel is a no-no, or at least it could get you in trouble with certain things attached.

Of course, you can get in troube in NY for taking a cardboard tube from a TP roll, and adding concentric cardboard rings, and placing it over the end of a rifle... as that could be considered a home made silencer...  if your not quick enough to jam it down your pants when to fuzz shops up.  :)
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Just buy a Windham...already done for you...
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#4]
stag arms will ship a compliant AR.  

if u want the adjustable stock, buy a preban lower then get any upper u want.  a flash hider and bayo lug arent real high on my priority list so i can live w/o them.  i do not like my muzzle break pinned, but thats life.

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Why is it, that BCM wont ship lowers to New York State
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why is it, that BCM wont ship lowers to New York State

Because BCM doesn't sell stripped lowers

BCM sell complete lowers, which have collapsible stocks. I wouldn't get hung up and "brand"

buy yourself a stripped lower, then you can purchase all parts online. The stripped lower is the only part that is considered a firearm, and must be purchased via an FFL.

It's not complicated. Don't rush, just read as much as you can right here at ARFCOM
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
NY compliant AR15.  Do not be discouraged, it can be done and still come out nice.

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
NY compliant AR15.  Do not be discouraged, it can be done and still come out nice.

http://i46.tinypic.com/xg9s0.jpg

+1

This is the one I put together when I moved back here, as my "Go fuck yourself, NY!!" build:

^ 100% NY legal.

(I think the Bigfoot may be illegal, though)

ETA:  Slightly better pic:

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Good work! Did you have a local smith pin and weld your muzzle break, or order it like that inline. (kinda the problem im having)
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good work! Did you have a local smith pin and weld your muzzle break, or order it like that inline. (kinda the problem im having)

mine was done by Noveske at their shop.   also another NY compliant AR15  I have more I can post but I am busy drinking to bother taking pictures.  

spare parts franken gun. oh and yes that is a 1st gen troy ind. rail  

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I just build on pre-ban lowers, have it my way. Just wish we could ave SBRs
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#12]
OP: If you want to build your own, I'd suggest assembling yourself and then sending the upper to Adco for pin/weld and whatever other compliance before putting it all together.  They do it right and turnaround time is very fast.

NY_shooter, how do you like that Dynacomp?  thinking of putting one on my next NY build, I had an FSC and thought it was really loud and concussive, is this any different?

And if you really want a BCM lower, I believe one of their distributors sells them with A2 instead of collapsible, not sure if they're in stock though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Another option is to buy a complete AR online and have it shipped to ADCO firearms to do the legal work. They will pin the stock in the position you want, pin and weld whatever muzzle brake you like. and take off the bayo lug.

Midwest industries has some BCM stuff so does GRtactical, I purchased mine from GRtactical and he shipped to ADCO. Daniel Defense is a good one too, check out Rainier Arms for completes as they will do the work and ship to your FFL. My recent purchase was from them and they were great to deal with.

PM me if you need more details.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Mine came pinned from AIMSurplus.  Its a 14.5" middy with the pinned DynaComp Extreme to bring it to 16".  I had to grind the bayo lug off myself, but it was easy wih a dremel.  Had to turn the whole FSB into a low-pro gas block to fit under the rail anyway.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
NY_shooter, how do you like that Dynacomp?  thinking of putting one on my next NY build, I had an FSC and thought it was really loud and concussive, is this any different?

I like it a lot.  Its nowhere near the standard obnoxious blast from most comps/brakes.  Not as "quiet" as an A2, but not too far off, IMO.

I popped a woodchuck from inside a room at my parents, and the concussion wasnt bad.  If I was using my old Miculek brake, Im pretty sure the windows would have blown out all over the house, haha!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top