Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2017 8:52:58 PM EDT
Planning a couple of days out to Fredericksburg. We're going to swing by the Cabela's in Buda, and I'm thinking about taking the wife unit through Wimberley, and then over to Dripping Springs on the way to Fredericksburg. She's got some places she likes to dig around in, so this is a few days away from the house to bum around. Any gun shops worth stopping by? We'll probably be around Dripping Springs for lunch.

Any input on craft beer and/or good places to eat - we've out that way before, but it's been a while. Input for Fredericksburg as well, if anybody has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Because, rules:
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh, skip cabelas. Shits over priced unless you wanna see the bargain cave or just look around. I prefer GTdist over cabelas. Or even mcbrides with their high prices still have a good selection.

Wimberley- Leaning Pear. Or a little Italian place called Marco's, but look them up because they have weird hours. Guy basically hand makes everything to order and it is a very small place. Mima's has good breakfast tacos and sauces, cash only. Middleton brewery really didn't impress me with their craft beer. Wimberley Valley winery for some local wines (sweet) and a shaded tree to drink under. Creekside Cookers is a food truck, that is decent bbq. Not excellent, but pretty decent and you get a lot for your money. They do sell out fast though and close when they sell out.

Dripping- don't know much. Nutty Brown amphitheater had some good beer choices, last time I was there about 4 years ago.  

Fredericksburg- there was a neat gun shop in the shopping district off the main street. Not much selection, but was a nice get away from all the girly shops.
Google gun shops near me when you get there and it should pop up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
In Dripping for lunch, try Creek Road (a little pricey) or Homespun for food. If you're into pizza and craft beer - Stanley's Farmhouse Pizza on Fitzhugh (adjacent to Jester King Brewery) is decent. Otherwise, I'd hit Twisted X Brewery on RR12 (good beer and chips/salsa), Live Oak Brewery on Fitzhugh (small restaurant on site and beer/spirits brewery) or Last Stand Brewery off of Fitzhugh. In that order. If vodka is your thing, Deep Eddie Vodka on 290 is pretty cool. I'm not much of a vodka guy though.

Couple of cool little places in "downtown" DS - The Barbershop (bar with a bunch of craft handles) on Mercer and Hudson's House of Music (venue and bar) on Mercer. They're both directly across 290 from Creek Road Cafe, and across RR12 from Homespun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#3]
For Fredericksburg - Hondo's on 290 for food or Porky's on 87, far west end of town. Both have good food. If you like Mexican food, Mamacita's is decent. They have a neon green sauce that's pretty good.

KNS Precision and Cimmaron are both in Fredericksburg... not sure if they're open to the public though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#4]
When you're done with Fredericksburg hit Willow City Loop, best scenery in Texas, I believe there is at least one bar at each end.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you're done with Fredericksburg hit Willow City Loop, best scenery in Texas, I believe there is at least one bar at each end.
View Quote
+1

As for Vineyards, Becker is one of the best!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for Creek Road Cafe in Dripping Springs. The owner is very meticulous about the ingredients he sources and it shows in the quality.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate all the suggestions - thanks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For Fredericksburg - Hondo's on 290 for food or Porky's on 87, far west end of town. Both have good food. If you like Mexican food, Mamacita's is decent. They have a neon green sauce that's pretty good.

KNS Precision and Cimmaron are both in Fredericksburg... not sure if they're open to the public though.
View Quote
Cimarron is not open to the public.  There is Cactus Jack's on Hwy 16 a bout a block north of Main St.  We like the food at Der Linden House, it is good traditional German food.   The Jagger schnitzel with potato salad and red cabbage are excellent.

ETA: The folks at Catus Jacks are related to the owners of Cimarron FA.  They also have all the clothing and other regalia for the SASS members.  There is a lot to look at in that shop.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:10:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Jester King brewery, near Dripping Springs, is great if y'all like sour beers.

Pedernales Brewing Co in Fredericksburg is good and Real Ale in Blanco is really solid as well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#10]
When I go up to Sattler to do a little fly fishing, we drive to http://trattorialisina.com/ in Driftwood. The food and service are outstanding and the people are friendly. Well worth stoping in. I always thought http://www.texasjacks.com/ was an interesting store to visit in Fredricksburg as well. I thionk it's the gun shop you're referring to.

Also, why not stop by Luckenbach for no other reason than "just for the hell of it"?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Had lunch at Creek Road Cafe, solid recommendation. Had a pint at the Barber Shop, checking out the Acopon Brewery next door. Good suggestions, I appreciate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top