Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2017 6:39:06 AM EDT
Howdy!

Looks like I'll be down there for 2+ weeks starting the second week of July. Anything that's a must see in the area? We're limited to 10hr workdays, so I'll have the ability to get cleaned up and wander into Houston after work. Any spectacular gunshops? Any good places to eat? I'm down for Mexican, Italian, good steak, and BBQ.

I'll be bringing a pistol or two so a public range of some sort would be great too. Trying to figure out where to go for a good time at the beach as this Iowa farm kid hasn't seen big water since he was 5.

I haven't nailed down where I'm staying quite yet. I need to see in which direction from town we're actually working.

Open to any suggestions.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Vinciks barbq on 60 near the four way stop. East Bernard.

Damn good barbq and priced right.  was one of the top 50 years ago but just old school good bbq

Also they have lunch specials and homemade Kolache and rolls all flavors.

Breakfast and lunch take care of.

Matagorda beach is about 60- 70 miles south and you can take 60 down that way.

Carrols gun shop in Wharton,  not saying buy at these shops but they are close and you might find a deal. R and n guns in elcampo.

Several newer gun shops in the Richmond Rosenberg area.

Of course Houston is only 46 miles away and plenty to do there.

If you are near eagle lake Austins bbbq is open  4 or 5 days a week and is another good bbq place.

It is going to be a hot and humid mofo if we don't dry out a little.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Matagorda beach is about 22 miles long and it is very drivable in two wheel drive if you know what you are doing on the right day.

On the wrong day you need fwd past 3 mile cut and sometimes I turn around at 6 miles with my 4wd.

There is a fairly decent mex food place in east Bernard and you have Larrys Mexican on 90 in Richmond ,  Old school Tex mex .  Hot salsa on the table can be mild or come on icecream .

Down 90 a little past larrys is a  gun shop next to a carpet store that is worth a stop.  Rosenberg has several good pawn shops one that is more gun related is N2 cash pawn on 36 or first street.  

Rosenberg has Schultz bbq and all kinds of chains on the freeway.

But Witt pit BBQ is some serious bbq

Italian Olive garden on interstate 69/59

Nicks Italian out near sugar land is damn good but it is kind of out of the way and I have never had a bad meal but looking at a few more bucks than most of the local fare.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy shit.

Thanks! That gives me plenty to track down depending on where I end up!
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
new gun range just opened up  in Alvin  

http://www.bigkountryshooting.com/

Local Tex Mex

https://bobstacos.com/

Sugar Land (and Sugar Land town center )   has tons of shopping and food   Ie Acadamy  

Gander mountain at 59 and 99  going out of business ( no clue whats left )

when the weather is nice  on Sat night  at  the Fountains in Stafford    they do a car show ( bring what ya got )   across the free way is Hooters
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
If you go to bobs get the Spanish omelette with ranchero sauce on top.

If in a hurry Stripes gas stations also serve breakfast tacos.  

Rosenberg/Richmond have over 30 Mexicans food places.  You can get many different versions of different styles of Mexican and South America food.

Pappasitos in sugar land is always great.  Shrimp and beef fajitas plate. Called Del-Mar .

Any restaurant from the pappas family will be good food.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys.

I'll be down there Wednesday night, it's looking.

Throwing an extra pistol in incase I can get over to alvin on a monday night. Would you know if I would need an owb holster, or would my IWB be fine?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#7]
G2G range in Rosenberg right on the Hwy. 59 feeder. Supposed to be a decent place, just don't open carry in there. 

Take Hwy. 60 about ten minutes south to Wharton. Buc-ee's tourist trap, but some decent food for a quick stop.

If you go to El Campo to check out R&M guns, go north on Hwy. 71 and check out Full Auto Firearms. Right in the middle of town across from H.E.B grocery.

All of the above are within 35 minutes of East Bernard.

ETA: +1 for Vincek's Smokehouse in East Bernard, good bbq.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top