Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2017 5:00:28 PM EDT
Had a person ask me about a deferred adjudication he got in 1983 for having a pistol on him during a traffic stop.

Was that charge still a class A misdemeanor in 1983, and can someone post a link to the 1983 Texas Penal Code.

I can not find one. Closest I have found is 1972.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't the entire point of DA that you enter a plea of guilty or no contest but the judge differs a ruling to a later date and during that time if any specified criteria are met your case is dismissed? (should you fail to meet the criteria you can be found guilty)

So no conviction means no penalty?

**FULL DISCLAIMER**
I'm not a lawyer and I'm barely competent enough to walk & talk at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Your friend should know what he was charged with and whether he completed the deferment period successfully. If he doesn't know exactly what the charge was with certainty, you can't look up generic historical information about his situation. He can access his own public records if he has a concern.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your friend should know what he was charged with and whether he completed the deferment period successfully. If he doesn't know exactly what the charge was with certainty, you can't look up generic historical information about his situation. He can access his own public records if he has a concern.
View Quote
Not what I was asking, but thanks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#4]
In 83 it was a class A, just like today.  1983 was the year I graduated from the police academy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In 83 it was a class A, just like today.  1983 was the year I graduated from the police academy.  
View Quote
Thanks TXI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top