Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 11:44:39 AM EDT
Officer in the store just had a radio call about a plane crashing and pilot ejecting by Ellington Field.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got an emergency alert about an "incident" at Ellington Field.
(My company soft phone has a Houston number) I live in another state.

I hope the pilot got out ok.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]
looks like the pilot is being treated at a local hospital

Attachment Attached File

link
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]
http://abc13.com/news/pilot-ejects-himself-from-burning-f-16-/2127264/
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]
So who gets to go take the sparrows off the wings?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of roads closed around Ellington Field.  Including the beltway.  If you like in the Clear Lake / Pasadena area it is going to be a fun night.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So who gets to go take the sparrows off the wings?
View Quote
I don't think the US has had air to air Sparrows in some time. Those are AMRAAMs...
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't think the US has had air to air Sparrows in some time. Those are AMRAAMs...
View Quote
I wonder if I can mount one on my F350?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Pilot reported armament was lost in a boating accident
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#10]
heard a rumor the engine didn't FOD out and continued to run at idle until out of fuel
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:04:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Why the hell was it flying around armed?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#12]
It's a Texas thang ??
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why shouldn't it be armed?  It is a fighting jet after all.

Pilot just need to be very aware of that state of armament.

The "empty" pistol is the one that doesn't defend...
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because Ellington is the closest airfield to the Gulf of Mexico in this part of the country. Where do you think the planes are going to come from if someone breaches our airspace outside the port of Galveston? We sure as shit don't have time to wait for someone to fly out of San Antonio. The Air National Guard has part of the mission to protect our airspace. Unarmed fighter jets aren't very good at defending our airspace.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Because Ellington is the closest airfield to the Gulf of Mexico in this part of the country. Where do you think the planes are going to come from if someone breaches our airspace outside the port of Galveston? We sure as shit don't have time to wait for someone to fly out of San Antonio. The Air National Guard has part of the mission to protect our airspace. Unarmed fighter jets aren't very good at defending our airspace.
View Quote
Tower...  Say Again...  Confirm You want me to RAM the intruder???
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Tower...  Say Again...  Confirm You want me to RAM the intruder???  
View Quote
That was the no bullshit command they got during 9/11. Those 2 f16's had no weapons at all on board. The female piolt ( IIRC) was going to ram it first, then the guy if she failed to bring down the plane
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Out of curiosity when did the F-16's get stationed at Ellington again? I thought i heard they were transferred back up north a few years ago? I know the 147th has armed drones though.

Only found one article about it back in 05:  F-16 article

Edit 2nd article this one is from the USAF: ANG F-16 send off.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like that could buff right out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm impressed it set down without being destroyed.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:45:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I live right at the end of the runway & flight path at Ellington.

They don't spare using their afterburners and can be loud as hell.

Between F-16s, some F-18s.  The NASA T-38s, and the odd balls like the WB-57 (Bat Plane) and Turbine Super Guppy every day is unique.

Plus the Lone Star Flight Museum is now moving over from Galveston, so I'm getting B-17, B-25, T-6 Texan, and other "Classic" birds too!

Love the Sounds of Freedom!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I live right at the end of the runway & flight path at Ellington.

They don't spare using their afterburners and can be loud as hell.

Between F-16s, some F-18s.  The NASA T-38s, and the odd balls like the WB-57 (Bat Plane) and Turbine Super Guppy every day is unique.

Plus the Lone Star Flight Museum is now moving over from Galveston, so I'm getting B-17, B-25, T-6 Texan, and other "Classic" birds too!

Love the Sounds of Freedom!!
View Quote
Lucky. Only time i get down there is for the airshow in October. Haven't been in a few years. Hopefully will get the chance this year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top