Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2017 9:02:21 AM EDT
News link

So apparently it's an ongoing problem that too many kids between the ages of 15-17 are getting married, even though they have their parents' permission.  Now I personally have never dealt with anything like this so I have no idea, but does anyone here know of someone who got married this young?  Is this considered a problem because guys are offering compensation to the parents for their permission?  I just need more info to process this story.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#1]
With all the bullshit you have to go through to get divorced, I don't know how you could enter into marriage under 18. I could see letting 17 slide, but 14? No way. Shouldn't happen in a modern society. 125 years ago, maybe, but even then.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Hell, I didn't get married until I was 50 and even then I was hesitant. Too much school in my teens & twenties; too much fun in my thirties, too far from home in my forties (exiled to Ohio). Finally, I came home and settled down.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#3]
What was old is new again.

I'd venture to guess that a lot of our parents, grandparents and great grandparents got married that young but of course life was way different back then. No way I can even fathom it in today's society. But I bet it still happens in other countries and is considered normal.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The Mom unit had to get my dad's parents to sign a release.
She was 18 & he was 17 At the time.  The cradle robbing hussy that she was.

MLG
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What was old is new again.

I'd venture to guess that a lot of our parents, grandparents and great grandparents got married that young but of course life was way different back then. No way I can even fathom it in today's society. But I bet it still happens in other countries and is considered normal.
View Quote
Throwing toilet paper in the trash after you wipe your ass and using your hand for the same thing is considered normal in places too. I'm not gonna go along with it though.

Who in their right mind wants to get married that young? I guess it's like they say,while you still know everything.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I knew a girl in high school that got married to a 20 yr old at 15. Her mom apparently sign off on it. Her name was Chasity. We used to call her Chastity. She was not around long. Too bad, she was a beautiful girl.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard on the radio today that "arranged" marriages are still a thing in the Hispanic community. Take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
News link

So apparently it's an ongoing problem that too many kids between the ages of 15-17 are getting married, even though they have their parents' permission.  Now I personally have never dealt with anything like this so I have no idea, but does anyone here know of someone who got married this young?  Is this considered a problem because guys are offering compensation to the parents for their permission?  I just need more info to process this story.
View Quote

I know someone...me and my wife.  Married back in 1989, I was 18 and she was 16.  Been together ever since (28 years this DEC).  And no, there were no potential little ones that influenced the decision.  Sometimes a person is just blessed to find "the one" early in life.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#9]
If we are going to allow same sex couples to marry, then I can't see the problem with younger hetero couples. After all, it's a time honored practice, like under age enlistment in the armed forces.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I was 22 and married a 17yo girl.    I did not feel right doing it, but was pushed in to it by her and her mother.     No, she was not knocked up.      Mom was bat shit crazy and I though I was helping the girl.   Turned out the 17y was bat shit crazy as well.

It was the biggest mistake I have made in my life.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I got married when I was 22 and my wife was 17. So far 5 kids and 17 years later it was the best decision of my life.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was 22 and married a 17yo girl.    I did not feel right doing it, but was pushed in to it by her and her mother.     No, she was not knocked up.      Mom was bat shit crazy and I though I was helping the girl.   Turned out the 17y was bat shit crazy as well.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I got married when I was 22 and my wife was 17. So far 5 kids and 17 years later it was the best decision of my life.
These two posts right next to each other.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Several of my aunts got married when they were 16.  They were raised on a farm outside of Kress in the 40's and 50's.  My SIL was 17 when she got married that was in '98.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

These two posts right next to each other.
View Quote
I was not forced to get married unlike the other poster above.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#15]
My oldest daughter was a few days shy of 19 when she got married.  I thought it was too young, but I knew she was, and still is in Love with him.  And he came and asked me permission BEFORE he asked her.  They have been married for 11 years now, and I have 2 amazing Grand kids, 8 and 2
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I heard on the radio today that "arranged" marriages are still a thing in the Hispanic community. Take that for what it's worth.
View Quote
I don't think it's so much an arranged marriage but more of a you got knocked up so we can't have our daughter have a child out of wedlock kind of thing. Most Hispanic immigrants are really religious that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top