Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2017 1:18:26 PM EDT
A coworker of mine recently moved to Cooke county (somewhere west of Gainesville).  He was wondering if the Sheriff is gun/shoot-on-your-own-land friendly or not?

Has quite a bit of acreage to utilize for the activity (backstops in place).

Any advice or wisdom to share with him?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
The Sheriff could be the most anti gun fellow in the county........but can't enforce laws that don't exist.
Texas Local Government Code
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
There are State laws in place, he doesn't have a say so unless you violate them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I've lived in Cooke County for 20 year and have never heard of anyone in trouble for shooting on their own land, and I've never heard anything negative about this Sheriff when it comes to guns.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:57:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been in Cooke my whole life. My land is the only place I shoot other than hunting lands. I can go 5yds to 500yds if I chose too. The sheriff would be the least of your concern. I would worry more about neighbors than the LEOs.

The county LEOs patrol my area pretty regularly because of there a high drug traffic area a few miles down the road. It's so bad that when they get a call to that area they hardly go at night and usually there is at least two or three patrol for a "normal routine" call.

We have cattle and so do our neighbors so I just got to know where all the livestock is before I plan to shoot. Our livestock is used to the gunfire and actually come to watch. Unless there's tannerite than they run for the hills.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top