Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/4/2017 6:18:52 PM EDT
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/texas/article/Texas-Senate-votes-to-end-state-vehicle-11122193.php?ipid=brkbar

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=SB1588

So long over-due.  

Now only commercial vehicle inspections and smog testing in those counties that require it for passenger cars.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/texas/article/Texas-Senate-votes-to-end-state-vehicle-11122193.php?ipid=brkbar

So long over-due.  

Now only commercial vehicle inspections and smog testing in those counties that require it for passenger cars.
View Quote

For those that will ask 'am I in one of those 17 counties?'...

Brazoria
Fort Bend
Galveston
Harris
Montgomery
Collin
Dallas
Denton
Ellis
El Paso
Johnson
Kaufman
Parker
Rockwall
Tarrant
Travis
Williamson
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Well good for everyone not on that list (my county is on the emissions list)
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So long over-due.  

View Quote

Doesn't it still have to pass the house and be signed by the Governor?
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So long over-due.  

I consider the bill close to half way there. Thing that got me is you still need an inspection when you buy a NEW car. I can understand when we had 2 stickers but no need for it anymore.

From what I've read you'd still need an emission test for none atanment counties.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
It unlikely it gets this far and does not pass the rest of the phases, but from what I read, it's a done deal. Dont see why it wouldnt be signed.  Of course maybe the news spoke out of turn.  But at the very least I'm glad its being done.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, I thought I was reading something wrong.  It has not been repealed yet.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#7]
nice! that's pretty awesome. although a lot of little mom and pop inspection stations will probably get killed by this :/
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
nice! that's pretty awesome. although a lot of little mom and pop inspection stations will probably get killed by this :/
View Quote
Hardly.

They only make a few dollars per inspection.  Nobody is paying their grocery bills doing this stuff.  The money is made in repairs at garages and it likely makes them less able to do real money making work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OK, I thought I was reading something wrong.  It has not been repealed yet.  

Thanks
View Quote
I'll let you know when it's completed :)  I updated the OP title for you too 

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=SB1588
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Despite living in a "smog" county, no more inspections for me. I have two diesel pickups. Diesels are safety only.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do like I did and move.  When that shit was starting, I bugged out of Harris county for the country, and never looked back.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do like I did and move.  When that shit was starting, I bugged out of Harris county for the country, and never looked back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live in Johnson county, its a bit more of a scoot to get into the metroplex from points further away
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome!  I had no idea this was even being debated.  Fingers crossed that it makes it into law.  As a resident of Hays county, this will be nice to not have to get an inspection of any kind.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure tags will increase to cover the loss of revenue.
More folks running with no insurance. They will just need proof of insurance to get their tags renewed.
Let the fishing season begin for all LEO's now.
I see more negatives than positives.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Despite living in a "smog" county, no more inspections for me. I have two diesel pickups. Diesels are safety only.
View Quote
Maybe VW can have the last laugh and sell in only some states.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:04:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Good. 
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 4:24:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm sure tags will increase to cover the loss of revenue.
More folks running with no insurance. They will just need proof of insurance to get their tags renewed.
Let the fishing season begin for all LEO's now.
I see more negatives than positives.
View Quote
The registration all ready went up when the inspection stations quit issuing stickers. You currently just pay the inspection fee for the shop's labor.  The state makes more money on the inspections due to not having to print and ship stickers, and the shop doesn't have to account for them. Yes, the stickers 'disappear' and when one does it is not a lot of fun.

You currently have to show proof of insurance when getting you registration sticker. Many of the major insurance companies are online to check if current.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You currently have to show proof of insurance when getting you registration sticker. Many of the major insurance companies are online to check if current.
View Quote
Meh. Buy policy, get registration (if they even bother), cancel policy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#19]
One less thing I hate jacking with EVERY YEAR.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here.  One diesel truck and an old jeep.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#21]
The state inspection here is a joke. I used to be a state inspector in Virginia. They were really detailed inspections. I'm really surprised how many cars are driving around here with one or more burnt out brake and taillights.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Another benefit for me is that maybe I won't have to drag my travel trailer in for the ridiculous safety inspection.

I may move soon, and it will likely be to a place where I can also avoid the emissions test (which is also a joke).
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The state inspection here is a joke. I used to be a state inspector in Virginia. They were really detailed inspections. I'm really surprised how many cars are driving around here with one or more burnt out brake and taillights.
View Quote
I'm sure enforcement of that will step up now.
For those of you in the know, can the state or local agencies set up inspection roadblocks now?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. My 2 diesels + a 25+ yo Jeep means no more inspections for them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is how it is now. Inspection + renewal occur at roughly the same time now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For those of you in the know, can the state or local agencies set up inspection roadblocks now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably not, Austin (under ASSavados) wanted to set up DUI check points, and the A.G. said no they are illegal in Texas.

If you are with one of the larger insurance companies law enforcement can check your policy online to see if it is good during a traffic stop.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#27]
So how long before more counties change over to requiring emissions testing?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
It would depend on the Fed for levels (amount of days) non attainment.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
There are several areas that are not attainment areas. Beaumont-Port Arthur, San Antonio, Laredo and others.

I look for TCEQ to try and expand the emissions program into more counties. So instead of a $7 inspection it about double.
Also the bill does increase the registration fee to offset revenue lost in the inspection program.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There are several areas that are not attainment areas. Beaumont-Port Arthur, San Antonio, Laredo and others.

I look for TCEQ to try and expand the emissions program into more counties. So instead of a $7 inspection it about double.
Also the bill does increase the registration fee to offset revenue lost in the inspection program.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were going to attempt to add Grayson county to the list a few years ago. The county commissioners basically said it will be over our dead bodies and a court fight. With prevailing winds from the south, the feds were going to try to push it on Grayson county because of Collin and Dallas counties bad air.  So far it hasn't been brought back up again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They wanted to do this in Liberty County, only because it was adjacent to Harris county.  There's so much industry in this county.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Beaumont/PA are in attainment right now. Now, if the levels are lowed, that will likely change (along with several other areas of the state)
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#33]
It's about fucking time, this is long over due. When I read it I was like but when I saw what counties I was like because I'm in one of the counties.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:18:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's about fucking time, this is long over due. When I read it I was like but when I saw what counties I was like because I'm in one of the counties.
View Quote
Think it would still need to pass in the house and some house transportation committee before that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I hope this passes.  I keep my vehicles in proper working order and hate dealing with these inspections.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I hope this passes.  I keep my vehicles in proper working order and hate dealing with these inspections.
View Quote
Yeah its the vast majority of light trucks and cars.  It's the reason why this should go-away.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yeah its the vast majority of light trucks and cars.  It's the reason why this should go-away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Even more stupid is you need to do an inspection for BRAND NEW cars. Should go away when the state got rid of the second sticker.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Having to get an inspection sticker on a new car is an indication this is more about raising revenue than safety.

For a time, when you bought a new vehicle, you got an inspection sticker that was good for 2 years.  I wonder why they did away with these?  It wasn't because you got the 2nd year free.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#39]
I believe new car inspections are still two years.

I still see car registrations with 2 year expiration dates that are new cars.

But, yes it's silly as a trigger lock.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#40]
State Inspection No More ?  Not good for us safe drivers, insured, licensed, sober, with well kept autos.... Grew up before inspection was law,so family about me would drive on bald tires, brakes metal to metal, lights out, wipers inop, mufflers leaking, you name it ! State inspect stopped their primate ways and they howled loud and long... Well, here we go again !  Not unlike refusing vaccinations... they did not like that either!  School entry required such so that got me those vaccines !  Went into uniform in 1957 and teeth got repaired, vaccinated for every what reason, along with some medial repairs.... home folks said that all was a waste....they knew better ! We do not need such clowns, but we have such out and about.... Keep the klunkers off our roads please !
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
State Inspection No More ?  Not good for us safe drivers, insured, licensed, sober, with well kept autos.... Grew up before inspection was law,so family about me would drive on bald tires, brakes metal to metal, lights out, wipers inop, mufflers leaking, you name it ! State inspect stopped their primate ways and they howled loud and long... Well, here we go again !  Not unlike refusing vaccinations... they did not like that either!  School entry required such so that got me those vaccines !  Went into uniform in 1957 and teeth got repaired, vaccinated for every what reason, along with some medial repairs.... home folks said that all was a waste....they knew better ! We do not need such clowns, but we have such out and about.... Keep the klunkers off our roads please !
View Quote
The other states that eliminated this unnecessary tax have had none of the problems you've described as any sort of epidemic. I believe the feds stopped requiring inspections in the 1970s and since then 34 states have quit requiring it and there is no death in the streets from bald tires. ( even in CA !)    

If you have been expecting the inspection process to make people be insured, it's been a complete failure.  All these slime bags do is buy a policy at LOYA, get inspected, then cancel.

It's simply not a big problem.  Theres no correlation between vehicle inspections and some sort of increased safety in any state.  Sort of like accidental gun death.  It happens.  But its not a ''problem'' and we dont need government to come check our guns to make sure they are safe.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The other states that eliminated this unnecessary tax have had none of the problems you've described as any sort of epidemic. I believe the feds stopped requiring inspections in the 1970s and since then 34 states have quit requiring it and there is no death in the streets from bald tires. ( even in CA !)    

If you have been expecting the inspection process to make people be insured, it's been a complete failure.  All these slime bags do is buy a policy at LOYA, get inspected, then cancel.

It's simply not a big problem.  Theres no correlation between vehicle inspections and some sort of increased safety in any state.  Sort of like accidental gun death.  It happens.  But its not a ''problem'' and we dont need government to come check our guns to make sure they are safe.
View Quote
The same arguments for gun control are used for inspection stickers... (we're all gonna die, its for the children, etc.)
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Awesome!  I had no idea this was even being debated.  Fingers crossed that it makes it into law.  As a resident of Hays county, this will be nice to not have to get an inspection of any kind.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Will trailers with brakes breaks still need to be inspected?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
There will be blood in the streets..
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#46]
If you remember, right before they were going to implement the emissions inspections, in non-attainment counties, the state built a bunch of inspection stations, and were going to staff them with state employees.  There was quite a bit of backlash from the public about it, and they ended up not doing it.  

We need to apply the heat to the house and have them pass the bill, so Abbot can sign it.

They fucked us on carry rights this session.  It would be nice if they didn't fuck us on this.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Will trailers with brakes breaks still need to be inspected?
View Quote
I'm going to guess if it's rated at what commercial vehicle weight ratings are it will.  But not all trailers with brakes are commercial vehicles under DOT.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you remember, right before they were going to implement the emissions inspections, in non-attainment counties, the state built a bunch of inspection stations, and were going to staff them with state employees.  There was quite a bit of backlash from the public about it, and they ended up not doing it.  

We need to apply the heat to the house and have them pass the bill, so Abbot can sign it.

They fucked us on carry rights this session.  It would be nice if they didn't fuck us on this.
View Quote
Instead they are wasting time with cell phone ban bills, which NCIB has proven are useless.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Do trailers still have to be inspected?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm going to guess if it's rated at what commercial vehicle weight ratings are it will.  But not all trailers with brakes are commercial vehicles under DOT.
View Quote
Maybe they will bring back multi year registrations for trailers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top