Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2017 9:53:04 PM EDT
Got a few questions about licensed carry and getting pulled over.

(1) I know you have to let the officer know you're armed and present LTC.  In the 15+yrs of carry and the few times I've been pulled over most officers asked where my pistol was.  Do I have to answer?  What if you tell them it's in the trunk instead of on your person?

(2) If you are not carrying and an officer asks for ID, do you have to show LTC?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Easiest is to just hand him both your DL and LTC at the same time. Then he asks where it is and you tell him. Cause if you don't hand him both then he goes and looks you up and sees you have LTC then he might not be as nice. Although not really sure what the law is on it anymore. I know when CHL came out you had to show both.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
This is nothing I'm planning on doing, I don't act a fool on contact with police.  Questions came out of a conversation with a friend earlier and curiosity.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

(1) I know you have to let the officer know you're armed and present LTC.  In the 15+yrs of carry and the few times I've been pulled over most officers asked where my pistol was.  Do I have to answer?  What if you tell them it's in the trunk instead of on your person?
View Quote

There is nothing in the law that requires you identify where the handgun is located.  You didn't ask advice, so I won't offer any on what a bad idea it is to refuse to answer questions or lie.

(2) If you are not carrying and an officer asks for ID, do you have to show LTC?
View Quote
 No.  However, he is going to know you have an LTC when he runs your DL.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cause if you don't hand him both then he goes and looks you up and sees you have LTC then he might not be as nice. Although not really sure what the law is on it anymore.
View Quote
I need to look up the law again too. When I took my first CHL class, I know they said that you were supposed to present your DL and CH, regardless of whether you were carrying or not, I think for exactly the reason you mentioned. A few years ago, an instructor told me you only have to present your CHL  if you're carrying. That seems really foolish to me.

I've only been pulled over once - for going 4 miles over the speed limit in a 55 on a Friday evening. I was driving for about an hour and had put my pistol in the map pocket on the back of the passenger seat (I was new to carrying, and the holster I had at the time was a little uncomfortable). The officer asked where it was, I told him, and he asked me to step around to the rear of the car while he ran his checks. I thought that was slightly odd; I'm not sure what he would have asked me to do if I was wearing it. Anyway, he ended up giving me a written warning. Nice guy, and no issues at all with the stop. I think he was just looking for drunk drivers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I need to look up the law again too. When I took my first CHL class, I know they said that you were supposed to present your DL and CH, regardless of whether you were carrying or not, I think for exactly the reason you mentioned.
View Quote
No, it has always been ONLY if you were carrying your handgun that you had to present the CHL and DL or ID if a magistrate or Peace Officer demanded that you ID yourself.  Initially there was a penalty if you failed to do so, but that was subsequently removed.

Oh, and the requirement to show is in the Texas Government Code, 411(h)411.205
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#6]
When I get pulled over and I'm carrying, I don't even take my hands off the top of the steering wheel and tell the officer first thing I'm carrying with a permit and where the pistol is. I then wait for the officer to tell me what to do, he//she is running the show not me.

If I'm not carrying I still present my LTC and tell the officer I'm not carrying.

Traffic stops suck for any officer since they really have no idea they are going to run into. I'd rather be a nice as I can to the officer, since he is just doing his job. Plus not being a jerk means a good chance of a warning, or if a citation get a break on all charges.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You didn't ask advice, so I won't offer any on what a bad idea it is to refuse to answer questions or lie.
View Quote
@txinvestigator, I'm asking.  Other than getting a ticket instead of warning, splain it to me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#8]
You don't have to but you want to.  I wasn't carrying once so I didn't mention it.  Officer came back pissed.  Told him it was stolen and haven't bought another one yet.  He cooled off and said he would appreciate me mentioning it next time anyway.  No skin off my back so I make sure I do.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@txinvestigator, I'm asking.  Other than getting a ticket instead of warning, splain it to me.
View Quote
When you quote someone it tells the person you are addressing that person....  

You invite additional scrutiny by refusing to answer or being dishonest.  You can be delayed further.  And as you already indicated. you may end up cited rather than warned.  

The CHL law has been in effect for 21 years, the car carry law for a decade.  LEOs are used to people having handguns.  Being dishonest or secretive is an indicator that something is wrong.  ;)  

But you knew that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You don't have to but you want to.  I wasn't carrying once so I didn't mention it.  Officer came back pissed.  Told him it was stolen and haven't bought another one yet.  He cooled off and said he would appreciate me mentioning it next time anyway.  No skin off my back so I make sure I do.
View Quote
He needs to get over himself and understand the law.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I never understood that childish reaction. They know you have a CHL when they run your plates or DL, it comes up in big red letters on their laptop. People with a CHL are generally assumed to be law abiding citizens and you should treat them as such.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^This. If the officer got pissed that's on him, not you. You did nothing wrong. As a recently retired officer I would also agree that it's probably best, if asked, to inform the officer where your firearm in located. It's the polite thing to do and costs you nothing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

You dont need a LTC to carry a handgun concealed in  your car.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Easiest is to just hand him both your DL and LTC at the same time. Then he asks where it is and you tell him. Cause if you don't hand him both then he goes and looks you up and sees you have LTC then he might not be as nice. Although not really sure what the law is on it anymore. I know when CHL came out you had to show both.
View Quote
This is what I was taught to do back in my first class in '08.

Last 6 times I have been pulled over I got the "what are you giving this to me for" look.  Surprising, they used to lecture me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I used ask where it's at on all my stops if handed an LTC. Still do on most. Never had someone get weird when asked. You are not required to answer though. In fact, you aren't necessarily required to say anything when stopped by the police. Most folks are verbal during the interaction and go about about their lives in short order.

The way I look at it is that, if a driver is willing to hand me their LTC without being asked, they are not likely the type to harm me.

THAT SAID, I would say about 10 percent of drivers that hand me an LTC actually have a gun, and only 10 percent of those are wearing it on their person.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Last 6 times I have been pulled over I got the "what are you giving this to me for" look. 
View Quote
It's likely because you dont need a LTC in a car.

Folks hand me theirs all the time.  I dont say anything most of the time. I'll look at the effective date and hand it back on the spot as I dont need it.  Dispatch will tell me if there's a LTC active or expired.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#17]
A few years ago I had gotten off work about 7:30 pm, had a run in the wrecker. I was driving through town to a local pub, I had a headlight busted about a week before and was waiting on parts.
So I was driving the back streets to avoid the cops. I got pulled over, I handed the cop my DL, insurance and CHL, I did have a pistol in the glove box. The cop didn't ask me to get out and he gave me a warning.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Folks hand me theirs all the time.  I dont say anything most of the time. I'll look at the effective date and hand it back on the spot as I dont need it.  Dispatch will tell me if there's a LTC active or expired.
View Quote
I haven't been pulled over in years but is there any difference on getting a ticket if LTC or not.

I got my license shortly after being available in TX, but let it expire for a while after my mother got stopped and was asked if there was a weapon in the vehicle.  When she asked why they asked, it was because my license.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

^^^This. If the officer got pissed that's on him, not you. You did nothing wrong. As a recently retired officer I would also agree that it's probably best, if asked, to inform the officer where your firearm in located. It's the polite thing to do and costs you nothing.
View Quote
Congratulations on the retirement.

I don't think I've ever been asked for my CHL or where my gun was since officers didn't care in my situations when pulled over.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I never understood that childish reaction. They know you have a CHL when they run your plates or DL, it comes up in big red letters on their laptop. People with a CHL are generally assumed to be law abiding citizens and you should treat them as such.
View Quote
CHL is not connected to the license plate
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

CHL is not connected to the license plate
View Quote
CHL LTC

Did they change something?  see my post two or so up.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

CHL LTC

Did they change something?  see my post two or so up.
View Quote
No..nothing is  changed.   The CHL/LTC is not connected to the license plate.  A good dispatcher will run the DL of the registered owner of a vehicle stopped on a traffic stop.  Some agencies have their systems set up to run a DL check on the registered owner automatically when a plate is entered.

Pardon when I call it a CHL. I have had one since 1996, and have been an instructor since 2003.  Old habits die hard..
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Congratulations on the retirement.

I don't think I've ever been asked for my CHL or where my gun was since officers didn't care in my situations when pulled over.
View Quote
Thanks

I don't believe most officers would ask for it on a regular stop....it's not like its a new thing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I ALWAYS hand offer both the DL and LTC when I'm carrying and inform the officer I'm carrying.  Never had a problem.  Yes, they always ask where and I tell them, I've got nothing to hide and if I was in their shoes I'd want to know too.  If I'm not carrying, then I only turn over my DL.  The officers I've encountered have always been nice, professional, and cool.  This last time I had wrecked my truck and it was not drivable.  It had to be towed away and the officer give us a short ride in his cruiser to where we were meeting someone else.  Before we entered his vehicle, he did retrieve my pistol and unloaded it - then when we exited he returned it.  I had no problem with any of that.  They had seen my support the police blue line flag sticker on my rear window and thanked me for supporting them.

Earl
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Knowing where it is or being told can avoid surprises or miscommunication or at the very worst being unnecessarily shot. Some people keep their wallets, insurance and so on in places where they also keep their pistol/revolver. Obviously if someone says 'hey, my wallet is in the console and I've got a pistol in there too" things will go a bit smoother than just opening the center console to get a wallet and a pistol is in the same place. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I carry a small wallet on the opposite side of carry with my DL and LTC in it. That way I don't have to uncover when reaching for my ID. It is also uncomfortable having my holster riding on my wallet and covering the pocket opening. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know that, when HB 1815 passed I had no CHL and immediately began carrying in my vehicle which led to two unfortunate incidents with cops since it was so new.

When I took the CHL class in '09 though they said if you are carrying you must give both your CHL and DL but it may be a good idea to give both even if you are not carrying.  I know it is now 2017 and it is called an LTC and a lot of things are different but I still hand over both just in case.  Last thing I want is to get drawn on again.

The people that do those classes give a lot of dubious advice but in my early years of having one it seemed to hold up as every time I was pulled over (I average 1-2 a year but have only ever been ticketed 3 times) they were definitely very interested in where my gun was.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#28]
When we had our wreck last year, I ,of course, was already out of the car when the police showed up and already had my permit and DL and insurance in hand. The guy walked up, I handed him everything and quietly said, "I'm armed."

He looked at my stuff and said, "ok, just don't take it out or anything."

Ok.

That was it. I stayed at the rear of my car, didn't go about making a scene or yelling or anything, they did their reports and having a handgun in my pocket never came up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Driving around west and central Texas, I've only been asked  about my pistol was once, and that was by a DPS officer just outside of San Angelo.

I hand him my DL and LTC
Him - "Do you have any firearms in the vehicle with you at the moment?"
Me - "Yes sir, there's a .45 in the glovebox and a small .380 in my front pants pocket."
Him - "Well, I tell you what, you don't reach for yours and I won't reach for mine."

That was about it. I normally just hand any officer my DL and LTC and don't say anything about being armed. They do what they do with them, bring them back, and they get on with the stop. Heck, I was between Brownwood and Comanche with my supressed 11.5" AR hanging in a rack in the back window of my truck with a loaded translucent mag seated in it. Nothing was said of it by the small town officer that conducted the stop.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#30]
My last stop was DPS in Houston. I was pulling my jetski and I had the trailer tag on my dash so I didn't lose it on the road.

He did a uturn and pulled me over so I gave him both dl and chl( it was many years ago). He handed them right back to me and said "I don't care about that stuff, I was just wondering about the mismatched plate on your dash but when I got behind you I figured it out. That is your trailer tag, right?" Yes sir.
"Have a good day and be careful."
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I know that, when HB 1815 passed I had no CHL and immediately began carrying in my vehicle which led to two unfortunate incidents with cops since it was so new.
View Quote
 Bill numbers are repeated each session.  So HB 1815 could be any number of things.  I assume you are referring to the Motorist Protection of 2007, since codified into penal code 46.02?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I got pulled over for speeding a couple of years ago.  I handed over my DL and CHL.  The cop asked me 3 or 4 times if I had a pistol.  Every time I said yes.  I finally asked him if he wanted to see it.  That put an end to the questions.  He also was eye-fucking my slapper I had hanging from the lighter.  

I got a warning.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
 Bill numbers are repeated each session.  So HB 1815 could be any number of things.  I assume you are referring to the Motorist Protection of 2007, since codified into penal code 46.02?  
View Quote

Of course, since we are talking about when carrying in cars without a license became legal.  I took advantage of the change for a few months before getting my CHL.  I had only recently moved back to Texas after my Army stint and anyone that knows Houston knows it is not exactly a place you did not want to carry, especially with the post Katrina crime wave.

I live in West Texas now and it seems the cops here are far, far less concerned about whether or not you have a gun in your car and where it might be.

My average encounter in Houston tended to be more of the "I AM THE ONLY ONE PROFESHNUL ENUF" variety.  Nothing like that out here yet as it is more akin to my encounters with police from rural areas where it seems to me it is 100x less likely to encounter a power tripping asshole than in a big city like Austin or Houston.

It is kind of strange too because statistically speaking I am now in one of the highest crime areas in the state.  It sure does not feel like it though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Late to the party, but I always present DL and LTC as a courtesy (always stopped on way to work, so never actually been stopped while carrying).

Of course, for my trouble, I get a ticket every freakin time.  A warning now and then would be nice.

Special FU to Balch Springs PD who tried to tack on a 'Failure to obey Commands' when I had the gall to pull of the Interstate during rush hour when he wanted me to pull onto the left shoulder (because travelling at 70mph, i could interpret his hand signals clearly...arggg still pissed about that guy).

I try and be nice to cops......(and so should you).  But i really don't like them anymore--don't give them an excuse to be an a-hole to you too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:54:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

(2)  I drive almost 100,000 miles a year on Texas highways and rarely get pulled over, however the last time I did (2013) I completely forgot to show him my CHL since I only got it because I was tired of being delayed by NICS.   The cop got foaming at the mouth pissed off and threatened to arrest me for not giving it to him.   Luckily he didn't and I went to the PD and bitched to the chief the next business day about his officer not knowing the law/making up law.

How does the saying go?  You can beat the rap but not the ride...I didn't have to but I damn sure won't leave myself open again to some guy who'll get away with it by claiming he did it in good faith.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

(2)  I drive almost 100,000 miles a year on Texas highways and rarely get pulled over, however the last time I did (2013) I completely forgot to show him my CHL since I only got it because I was tired of being delayed by NICS.   The cop got foaming at the mouth pissed off and threatened to arrest me for not giving it to him.   Luckily he didn't and I went to the PD and bitched to the chief the next business day about his officer not knowing the law/making up law.

How does the saying go?  You can beat the rap but not the ride...I didn't have to but I damn sure won't leave myself open again to some guy who'll get away with it by claiming he did it in good faith.
View Quote
I am glad you went to talk to the Chief.  Even back WHEN it was arrestable to not present your CHL, it was only so AFTER your license had once been suspended for fail to ID.   I consider this a serious lack of training/knowledge for LEOs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I always show mine, either by having it ready or if the officer is quick, with my hands on the wheel.

I've only had one officer take my gun and take all the bullets out of it. Small town officer just outside of Cresson TX
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I was pulled over years ago, driving on a business trip in West Texas. The young looking DPS trooper took my DL and CHL, after I told him I was armed. I kept my hands on the steering wheel at 10 and 2 o'clock.

He returned after a couple of minutes and handed both back to me, smiling. He then told me, "Wow, that was just like the movie we saw."

I asked him, "Which one was that?"

He then says, "In our training class, about making a traffic stop when someone has a CHL."

I said, "Great, glad it went so smooth for both of us."

He then tells me, "Well, be careful on your trip," then handed me my ticket.

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I always answer. In the 3 times I've been stopped that was the end of the gun discussions.

Thankfully no "sir would you please hand me your weapon so I can run the numbers then unload the magazine and leave it in a heap in your trunk" nonsense

JMO but I feel safer for everyone if both parties keep their sidearms holstered. Fumbling around with a loaded weapon is just asking for an accident
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#40]
I've always made the effort to keep officers at ease. Typically, the easier you make it for them, the easier it goes for you. Many have thanked me for not being a dick (I'm not kidding... not that exact word, but you get the gist). 

If I get pulled over, I find the nearest safe place to stop. Driver's window goes down. Left elbow rests on the windowsill with hand on the roof. Right hand rests on the sill. That means both are in plain view long before he gets to the car. Hands STAY there. He asks for license and insurance. I let him know first that I'm an LTC holder and am currently armed. Usually they ask where it is. I let them know, and then let them know where my wallet is (because it's usually near the gun). Use my right hand only to pull out my wallet, then hand him the stuff. Then keep hands visible even while he's back at his car. 

The last time, he didn't even want to see my LTC. In his words "You told me about it, so you probably have it" 

I haven't run across but 2 or so cops with attitudes. The rest have been very friendly after the first few words exchanged. None have asked me to disarm. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top