Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2017 12:04:36 PM EDT
I am going to look at a couple of small lots around 1 to 4 acres in a subdivision in central texas. The lots have the typical utilities.

Is there anything specific to watch out for or that would stop you from purchasing said land? I have some things in mind but wanted to get input from those who have done this before.

This is a site to build a home. No special tax exemptions or anything. 

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Grab a topo map and look at drainage. ESPECIALLY any drainage from adjoining home sites. Best not to have a river running thru your house if a storm hits.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#3]
See if there is a build by clause.  I.e. you have to build within one year of purchase.  Unless that is what you plan on doing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Google maps shows EPA superfund sites.       There was one next door to a house I looked at.     I passed on it
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grab a topo map and look at drainage. ESPECIALLY any drainage from adjoining home sites. Best not to have a river running thru your house if a storm hits.
View Quote
This!!!!!!  I'd actually try to go when it's pouring rain if possible.  

Although this is obvious, might look into the roads that provide access.  Does the subdivision own them/have to maintain them?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Find out if the land is under any type of lease for timber, mining etc.

Dumps in the area, industrial or commercial.

Deed Restrictions that may affect what you want to build.

Current survey, if older than 15-20 years get another.

Have a  lawyer review your paperwork.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Easements

If next to open lots, check zoning and future use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top