Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2017 10:12:34 PM EDT
Almost stepped on this snek tonight.

Venomous or not?  Head looks kind diamond shaped.

Does he get relocated or dispatched?

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Corn snake, I would let him go.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Seem to be a lot of those out on the road.  Must be a good year for them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Confirmed pupils are round.  Looks to be a Texas Rat Snake.  He gets a reprieve.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Good ones to have around... Rat snakes help keep away rattle snakes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Confirmed pupils are round.  Looks to be a Texas Rat Snake.  He gets a reprieve.
View Quote
This.  Very young rat snake, most likely the ubiquitous Texas Rat, a/k/a "chicken" snake.  Beneficial, non-venomous rat eating machines, though adults can be ornery.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.  Very young rat snake, most likely the ubiquitous Texas Rat, a/k/a "chicken" snake.  Beneficial, non-venomous rat eating machines, though adults can be ornery.
View Quote
cool he got a reprieve.  read they can climb and saw him climb a tree.  that was kinda cool.

saw this which made me laugh

So apparently one way to see if it's a rat snake or copperhead it to look at the bite marks and then see if it has fangs. That sounds like a great idea. Kinda like how to test if your electrical outlet is working by sticking a screwdriver into it.

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

cool he got a reprieve.  read they can climb and saw him climb a tree.  that was kinda cool.

saw this which made me laugh

So apparently one way to see if it's a rat snake or copperhead it to look at the bite marks and then see if it has fangs. That sounds like a great idea. Kinda like how to test if your electrical outlet is working by sticking a screwdriver into it.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12535606_f520.jpg
View Quote
Yea, thats kinda of a once your bit one there. Kinda like a spider bite. If you see red lines comeing from the center and the red spot keeps getting bigger thats a bad sign. Doesnt help ya out before hand tho.  

I saw a rat snake yesterday cross the road. It was easy to tell it was a rat snake because it was almost as long as the road was wide. So i let it pass. Most others get the e brake as i slide over them :)
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:41:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are definitely better ways to ID snakes!  http://texassnakeid.com/Texas_ratsnake_info.html
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I moved a big Rat snake out of the road a couple days ago, it was not very happy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I found a baby rat snake last spring. It was under a bucket that I picked up. It started rattling it's tail like a rattlesnake. Made me squeal like a lil girl.

It got relocated to the creek to continue it's good work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top