Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 7:00:20 PM EDT
Just a quick AAR after taking a one day class out at the Tiger Valley training facility near Waco. This was my first time out there. Really impressed with the facility.  Here's a description from Training Forum Tiger Valley

Spent a little bit of time in classroom talking about safety, agenda, etc.  Then, out to the range to sight in and get to work. Almost all of the shooting was 100-300 yards, with a little paper, but mostly steel. Used stationary and moving targets. Shot prone, kneeling, transitions, improvised positions due through and around odd shaped openings and ended the day shooting from the 60' tower.  Built a good bit of confidence using red dot at longer ranges and on movers.  I was probably the most novice in the class as it included army, marine, LEO and a local who puts a lot of lead downrange.

TJ worked with each person on tweaking us according to our needs. His background is service with Garland police, including time as their firearms trainer. As a trainer, he was sent to numerous other training classes to broaden his own experience and bring it back to the force. He trains in multiple disciplines, including long range precision. They host a number of kinds of customers that include military, law enforcement and regular folks like me. They also host precision competitions.

Really enjoyed the experience and would like to go back for more, including precision class. One of the guys who has taken it assures me that even I can do the math required.

Will try to post a pic that has an overview from the tower if I can figure out how to post without uploading to another site first.

Will answer questions if I can about what I saw or what we did, but I don't work for them or have any interest in them.

Oh, and TJ was kind enough to cook us some burgers and brats for lunch. Thanks for the hospitality, TJ!

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just a quick AAR after taking a one day class out at the Tiger Valley training facility near Waco. This was my first time out there. Really impressed with the facility.  Here's a description from Training Forum Tiger Valley

Spent a little bit of time in classroom talking about safety, agenda, etc.  Then, out to the range to sight in and get to work. Almost all of the shooting was 100-300 yards, with a little paper, but mostly steel. Used stationary and moving targets. Shot prone, kneeling, transitions, improvised positions due through and around odd shaped openings and ended the day shooting from the 60' tower.  Built a good bit of confidence using red dot at longer ranges and on movers.  I was probably the most novice in the class as it included army, marine, LEO and a local who puts a lot of lead downrange.

TJ worked with each person on tweaking us according to our needs. His background is service with Garland police, including time as their firearms trainer. As a trainer, he was sent to numerous other training classes to broaden his own experience and bring it back to the force. He trains in multiple disciplines, including long range precision. They host a number of kinds of customers that include military, law enforcement and regular folks like me. They also host precision competitions.

Really enjoyed the experience and would like to go back for more, including precision class. One of the guys who has taken it assures me that even I can do the math required.

Will try to post a pic that has an overview from the tower if I can figure out how to post without uploading to another site first.

Will answer questions if I can about what I saw or what we did, but I don't work for them or have any interest in them.

Oh, and TJ was kind enough to cook us some burgers and brats for lunch. Thanks for the hospitality, TJ!
View Quote
Best/nicest range facility in Texas...and great folks too. Ma Duce is a great guy. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Have wanted to take there 50 class. Hell they may not even do that anymore. Glad ya had fun and learned some.  Wish i could afford to go to some.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I took the AK class. Hopefully I can take another sometime in the fall.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]
TJ comes up to teach in DFW now and then as well.  Class act.  Would recommend.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a cell phone camera shot with a broad view from the top of the tower. You should be able to see some of the steel targets up the line on the right and scattered to the left in the distance, and the "technical".  The main range is out of view, but this gives a small view of some of the targets used.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I have taken a lot of classes at Tiger Valley. T.J., Bruce and the rest of them are top notch. The facility is one of the best. I go as often I can. I'm thinking about the precision rifle class next month but I'm crippled right now....
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've gotta get down there for one of those Saturday classes where you can get (or confirm) your zeroes on a precision rifle.
View Quote

I've been waiting for them to do another. Hopefully we can get a few of us together at one.

I have three new rigs to get data on past 200yds.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I was lucky enough to have private run of the entire facility with a small group last year.  At the end of the day I was exhausted, I think we shot in almost every bay and range.  It is a great place to shoot and would like to take an actual class(es) there.  TJ is a great guy and he and the other instructors they use are great teachers.  The tower was by far my favorite part of the place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top