Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2016 4:45:56 PM EDT
Tiger Valley is looking at doing 2 gun or 3 gun matches in the up coming year.  My question is what do the shooter want.  It doesn't matter at our end, we have stages set up now for rifle, pistol and shotgun.  In the past we had guys complain that they didn't own shotguns and that most matches don't use them in stages.  We aim to please.

These matches would be club matches.  eight or ten stages, just as complicated as the large matches but the shooter RO themselves.  We will run stages that require spotting hits at distance, but other then that the shooters score the stages.  

We will drop off lunch to all shooters to keep things flowing on the stages.  If things go well we will do these every month.

Let me know which venue, the three or two gun is more popular.  Thanks T.J.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
2 gun, although throwing a 3 gun in every now and then would be nice.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
In for information. I'd be interested in learning more through competition.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I like 2 gun better, but that is my personal preference.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I would be more interested in 3 gun, problem is more and 3 gun matches are out there so weekends especially Saturday's are filling up.

If you ran the match so you could shoot either Saturday or Sunday that would work out better. Most people who shoot these matches bring their food with, only thing is during the summer it is a good idea to have water on the stages.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#5]
What targets do you have that must be shot with shotgun? An option might be a separate division for 2-gun.

Around Austin and points northwest, all weekends have at least one 3-gun, with the announcement of CAPS starting a match on the first weekend (both Saturday and Sunday).
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a damn shame that Texas doesn't have a good action 2-gun match like the guys from Forgotten Weapons run.
I'm near College Station and I would love to have a 2gun match nearby.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What targets do you have that must be shot with shotgun? An option might be a separate division for 2-gun.

Around Austin and points northwest, all weekends have at least one 3-gun, with the announcement of CAPS starting a match on the first weekend (both Saturday and Sunday).
View Quote

We have one bay that has 35 pepper poppers sitting in it.  They at AR-500, so we can shoot them with anything we want. We have a 65 foot tower, 35 foot tower, 3 T-62 mock ups, real UH-1 Huey, a mock up helo on springs, movers mechanical and pit service, Hogan's Alley, Shoot house, 4 competition plate racks, barricade walls, 150 AR500 steel targets, 8 tactical bays, 27 position KD range and 1500 yard UKD, live fire "O"course.

The biggest problem most shooters have on our stages is not running out of ammunition.

Thanks for the responses, it looks like the 2 gun is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]
With targets like pepper poppers and plate racks, you can leave the firearm option to the shooter since they can safely be engaged with both pistol and shotgun. Let the shooter decide whether they want to use a shotgun with quicker target transitions but lower magazine capacity versus the pistol with more ammo and faster reloads but slower split times. That's how I've run 3 gun matches in the past, and it allows the guys who don't like or have shotguns to run it as a 2 gun if they'd like. 
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]
TJ, looks like you upgraded some since I was there last. I think the mock helo on springs was new last time I was there.

As long as there are no aerial clays, you can let the shooter choose. I might choose a shotgun for small plates, especially if there are less than 10 of them, but anything bigger than a mini popper I shoot with handgun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 3:10:34 AM EDT
[#10]
3gun
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 3:36:36 AM EDT
[#11]
2 Gun, definitely. 
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I prefer 2 gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#13]
In ARFCOM fashion, do both.  Offer the match as a 3 gun match but for those that don't have a shotgun or don't want to shoot shotgun to shoot in with two guns.  To make it work, just don't put clays out.  Make the steel pistol and shotgun optional.  If you have long distance slug targets (50 yards), you can make those pistol only for the 2 gunners. If you use practiscore for your scoring, you can have the shooters register for either 2 or 3 gun and then the scoring will be easy to differentiate at the end of the match.  If you use IPSC paper targets, you can either make these rifle pistol optional or even allow slugs on paper.  Just make sure you have a dump barrel for the shotgun where a transition would need to happen.  Everybody wins.  

Nick
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:04:42 AM EDT
[#14]
2 gun would be fantastic. there is a massive lack of 2 gun comps in the area.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#15]
2 gun.

TJ, I would also like to see the return of range days if possible. The juice may not be worth the squeeze for you guys on those, I don't know. Just a thought. I have a few new rifles I need dope on.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#16]
2 gun
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#17]
You Texicans may be different but back when I shot IPSC our club never shot a 2 or 3 gun match for overall score but we regularly shot side matches so that you could shoot one  gun for IPSC match score and enter or not enter side matches for score as another individual match.  Sometimes a short range carbine match, sometimes shotgun, and sometimes a a snubbie/BUG match.  Occasionally in good weather we'd shoot two side matches.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#18]
1MoreFord, 3gun has had the greatest growth in action shooting in the last dozen years or so. Yes, more than one gun at a time! The USPSA concept of 3 one-gun matches combined into one score never took off, although single gun matches are more common in Europe where laws do not allow suitable guns everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#19]
3 gun. 3 gun. 3 gun. 

But make it so the stages switch between weapons, that is the part of the sport that makes it the most fun. 

Have drop barrels and have transitions between rifle and pistol or shotgun and pistol. 
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:12:06 AM EDT
[#20]
3 Gun with Shotgun opt out if someone wanted

Not sure why cause shotgun is a serious cqb weapon.

Also, a more advance shotgun targeting setup system would be more beneficial.

thx TJ
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
3 Gun with Shotgun opt out if someone wanted

Not sure why cause shotgun is a serious cqb weapon.
View Quote

Unlike handgun and rifle, nothing about how the shotgun is employed currently in the sport of 3 gun reflects the tactical use of the shotgun. 
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:03:20 AM EDT
[#22]
That's why more tactical training would be great.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#24]
It looks like we will run two divisions, a two gun match for rifle pistol and throw in some stages for shotgun.  This will mean two divisions.  I have two bays set up with over 40 pepper poppers and I would like to get some use out of them.  Since this is a club match and I don't expect large numbers we will limit the divisions to two.  Most all stages will require transitioning from primary to secondary weapon.  I'm not much of a drop barrel kind of guy, more clear it and carry it.  Never had an experience where I was able to hand off my primary weapon to someone or leave it behind.  As always high round counts can be expected as well as moving targets and shooting to the limits of each weapon system.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#25]
awesome. looking forward to hearing more. I agree with the you carry what you brought sentiment. One other thing that bothers me when I read matches is the round count. Who wants to drive hours and spend hours on a match with a low round count, I want to shoot. Will follow this thread with interest.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I divide matches into two broad categories: sling, and no-sling.

So, this is a sling match. Got it .
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Date for this match is March 25-26, 2017.  Start reloading 225/225 with 75 bird shot for those wanting to shoot the shotgun stages.  Safety brief at 7:30, shooting starts at 8:00am.  We will run 8 long stages on Saturday and 4 or 5 on Sunday.  More details to follow......
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Date for this match is March 25-26, 2017.  Start reloading 225/225 with 75 bird shot for those wanting to shoot the shotgun stages.  Safety brief at 7:30, shooting starts at 8:00am.  We will run 8 long stages on Saturday and 4 or 5 on Sunday.  More details to follow......
View Quote

Is there a problem if I just run Saturday? I'm not in it to win it and I just want to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top