Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2016 7:11:54 PM EDT
UT has announced that Charlie Strong is gone and Tom Herman will be the new head football coach.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#1]
$$$$$$ ?
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$$$$$$ ?
View Quote

Nothing has been announced.  Football programs controlled by boosters are depressing.  I hate UT with a passion.  They destroyed the Southwest Conference then slimed their way through the original Big 8 to create the Big 12 to only distroy it less than 15 years later.  With that being said they set Charlie up to fail.  They expected him to be an undefeated coach in two seasons and when he didn't do that they started to look.  The second he started to loose games this year his fate was sealed.  He beat ranked, division teams this year but none of that matters to the boosters.  The people that have the most leverage because they ultimately pay the bills.  He just started to recruit really good kids too.  Unlike a lot of college coaches, especially those controlled heavily by boosters he required his players to act like men and not like idiots.  I remember when he took the program over he kicked a few really good players off the team for conduct and a few of the boosters were pissed.  Some were already calling for his head.  Oh well.  I'm sure a big 5 program will call for him.  His career is far from over.  I feel even worse for Houston seeing how those kids have no coach for their bowl game.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
$$$$$$ ?
View Quote

I thought I had heard on the radio a few weeks ago it was going to cost like $14 to 16 million or so just to buy out Strongs contract and a couple assistant coaches that had guaranteed contracts.  If UT and LSU were both after Hermann like the reports were going the last few days,  I'm sure he got made out very well in his contract
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

....With that being said they set Charlie up to fail.  They expected him to be an undefeated coach in two seasons and when he didn't do that they started to look.  The second he started to loose games this year his fate was sealed.  He beat ranked, division teams this year but none of that matters to the boosters. ...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$$$$$$ ?

....With that being said they set Charlie up to fail.  They expected him to be an undefeated coach in two seasons and when he didn't do that they started to look.  The second he started to loose games this year his fate was sealed.  He beat ranked, division teams this year but none of that matters to the boosters. ...

my thought was why herman would go to big 12 -2 when he could make a step up over into sec?  b12 better than aac and a better record easier obtained for herman (future plans), or maybe just not a good fit at lsu.    ut must have been desperate or something else was up that they had to act quick with big dollars.  if anything, he knows he has two years to produce results.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Herman got a contract that was very similar to Charlie Strong's.

$5MM/season for 4 seasons and $6MM for the final seasons. The penalty for Herman leaving to take another job is significantly higher than Strong's was ($0).

Strong sucked. 16-21, Iowa St, Kansas.

Herman beat OU and Louisville.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

my thought was why herman would go to big 12 -2 when he could make a step up over into sec?  b12 better than aac and a better record easier obtained for herman (future plans), or maybe just not a good fit at lsu.    ut must have been desperate or something else was up that they had to act quick with big dollars.  if anything, he knows he has two years to produce results.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$$$$$$ ?

Herman is a Texas graduate and coached under Mack Brown at Texas as a GA. He turned down $6MM+ to go to Texas because Texas was one of his 2 dream jobs (Ohio St, Texas)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top