Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2016 8:04:20 PM EDT
Ok, Long story short.

Took the class Saturday, filed my app (today), and set the fingerprint appt for Friday.

All set, right?

Excpet one thing has me a bit concerned.
I finally got my TX DL in May (25th to be exact). That is right at 5 months ago. I had no idea I need to be here 6 mos.
Am I gonna have to wait 30 more days?

I did have my CCW in NC (but it has been expired a while ago).

BTW, I have had vehicles registered here for the last few years.

IF you really want to know the gap, I had to round up my Birth Cert., that took a while as I was adopted 40 years ago. Va nor Fl would tell me if they had my BC. Finally found a nice lady to tell me before I hand over the money  to get a copy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]
No clue to the answer to your question. I plan on taking the class in two weeks. Going to the range again this Saturday to get more time behind my Sig then going to take the class the next weekend. I need to look at the application and find out where to get prints done.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No clue to the answer to your question. I plan on taking the class in two weeks. Going to the range again this Saturday to get more time behind my Sig then going to take the class the next weekend. I need to look at the application and find out where to get prints done.
View Quote

You can do the app before the class, but you cannot schedule your prints until you do the app.

App or class and then the prints.

Since I am not on welfare, I have $50 in the class, $142.50 in the application and add $10 for the prints.

Basically $200  

What was that part about "infringement"?  

ETA: If you are on welfare, the app is $70
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have established residence here, you are good to go. I applied for my CHL after I had been here slightly less than 3 months, I bought my house before I even got moved here by a week.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you have established residence here, you are good to go. I applied for my CHL after I had been here slightly less than 3 months, I bought my house before I even got moved here by a week.
View Quote

I hope so, I dont mind a 30 day wait.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#5]
You do NOT need to be here for six months if you plan to establish residence. I think I had my CHL application submitted in less than 3 weeks after I crossed the boarder, and license in my wallet in under two months.

Got my insurance ahead of time. Vehicle inspection the afternoon of day 0 (after entering from Arkansas before sunrise), vehicle registration and temporary license day 1 morning, moved into an apartment day 1 afternoon, CHL class day 2 and finger prints the following weekend, final paperwork was delayed since I needed to find a copy machine before snail mailing the paper application.

I *think* you need a Texas DL at the time you take the CHL class (or at least they wanted to see my DL...paper temp one was fine); not that it matters to you at this point.

If you're in a hurry, you can get your LTC in a little over a month after you cross the boarder.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#6]
You do not need to even be a resident of Texas to be eligible for a LTC

Resident for 6 months, or

move to Texas with intent to establish residency, or

Be a resident of another state and come to Texas to take the class.

Texas Government Code 411.172 (a) (1)  & 411.173 (a)

No Texas DL needed.  No DL needed at all.  If no DL a Texas ID card will work.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:33:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This Man knows what he's talking about
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:13:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:57:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks....

I was reading over the stuff when doing the app.....it mentioned "delinquent taxes....." How does one do that in TX with no income taxes?
The rest was pretty standard crime, drugs, and mental issues.......If mental issues are a disqualifier , that would rule out 90% of GD
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks....

I was reading over the stuff when doing the app.....it mentioned "delinquent taxes....." How does one do that in TX with no income taxes?
The rest was pretty standard crime, drugs, and mental issues.......If mental issues are a disqualifier , that would rule out 90% of GD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks....

There are plenty of taxes other than income tax. Property taxes ain't cheap.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understatement of the year.  OP, if you haven't considered property taxes, you should.  They are no joke.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Understatement of the year.  OP, if you haven't considered property taxes, you should.  They are no joke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not bought a "ranch" yet, SO I doubt I owe any taxes, besides they are WAY cheaper than NC and VA.

Now, I did my fingerprint today.
I know I have to scan and email my Class Cert., do I have to scan and email my DL?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have not bought a "ranch" yet, SO I doubt I owe any taxes, besides they are WAY cheaper than NC and VA.

I know I have to scan and email my Class Cert., do I have to scan and email my DL?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No .  Unless you are applying for some sort of reduced fee all you need to send is a pdf version  of the certificate
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]
grassyass senior

I am on it like a lie on a female candidate!
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I sent the fingerprint rcpt and the class cert (CHL-100) in pdf format via the web portal for DPS.

I hope that is all they needed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Holly SHit!!1WTF!!!BBQ@!!!!

It showed up in the mail today.....3 weeks and 1 day since I sent it in!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 2:08:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You can do the app before the class, but you cannot schedule your prints until you do the app.

Since I am not on welfare, I have $50 in the class, $142.50 in the application and add $10 for the prints.

Basically $200  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically $200  

As a veteran I only had to pay 20.  Class was 90 bucks though.

Quoted:

I just got mine a few months back and they said to prepare to wait up to 6 months....got my card in 10 days.

I had to do everything all over again since I let mine expire when I moved out of state.  The rules changed while I was gone but the class was very similar.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#19]
actually....

They got everything they needed on the 29th.

So 16 days

May have helped I have had a CCW in NC, HazMat fingerprints, misc. Gov't/.MIL access etc. :dunno
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not kidding...  My property tax on my modest house in rural Travis county that is well below the median price for houses in the area will be over $5000 next year.  That's after homestead exemption.  Property taxe rates in Texas, especially in the metropolitan areas are high.  And the price of houses in Texas, while low compared to many places on the coasts, is still fairly high in the metro areas.

HOWEVER...

If I lived up north where my parents live (in the summer, they winter in the RGV), while my property taxes would be about 1/2 what they are down here (my house would be assessed higher up there because houses are actually more expensive where they live, but their tax rates are lower)...  Between my wife and I we'd be paying around $10k in state and local income taxes (yes, the town where my parents live charges a 1.1% city surcharge on top of the already high state tax rates).  So if you add up the property tax and income taxes up there its still more than double what it is here...  And their sales tax is only slightly lower (1.25% lower) so that isn't going to make up much of the difference either...  Now some things are cheaper up there...  like homeowners and auto insurance...  But the taxes up there are enough to make the overall cost of living higher.  Oh...  plus it just plain sucks up there.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:59:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
actually....

They got everything they needed on the 29th.

So 16 days

May have helped I have had a CCW in NC, HazMat fingerprints, misc. Gov't/.MIL access etc. :dunno
View Quote

That's insane!  I sent the paperwork in for my wife's permit back in February and still haven't gotten it.  Have emailed them twice about it but got the standard reply saying it can take a while.  And I tried calling a few times but have never been able to get through to a person.  I'm getting pretty disgusted by the whole thing!!

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 6:10:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice! I moved a few months ago, and changed my address Tuesday afternoon. I checked the mail Thursday and had my new LTC. I live in Dallas, which means they printed and shipped my updated LTC within 2-3 hours of receiving my online request. They have definitely stepped their game up recently. I remember waiting almost six months for a renewal a few years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top