Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2016 5:28:07 PM EDT
http://www.easttexasmatters.com/news/local-news/officials-warn-of-bears-in-east-texas

Interesting that TPWD has positive game cam summer 2016 ID's of them in Red River, Bowie and especially Smith county around Tyler/Mineola.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
http://www.easttexasmatters.com/news/local-news/officials-warn-of-bears-in-east-texas

Interesting that TPWD has positive game cam summer 2016 ID's of them in Red River, Bowie and especially Smith county around Tyler/Mineola.
View Quote

In before someone posts Black Bears Matter.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad to see they are slowly coming back.

Although this doesn't sound good.  

“Once these bears figure out there’s no opportunity for companionship over here they will likely retreat,” says Dave Holdermann, a non-game wildlife biologist with TPWD in Tyler.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:17:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't want to be the fellow that shoots one in Texas (at least until there is a legal, huntable population again)...maybe in my life time but not likely.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, known about them for about 2 years now. A few sightings a county over from my property. Was a perfect opportunity and excuse to buy a 45-70.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:33:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wouldn't want to be the fellow that shoots one in Texas (at least until there is a legal, huntable population again)...maybe in my life time but not likely.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah, known about them for about 2 years now. A few sightings a county over from my property. Was a perfect opportunity and excuse to buy a 45-70.

About 8 years ago I read an article about black bears in Texas. A game warden that was interviewed stated that it would be cheaper to charter a grizzly hunt in Canada than it would be to get caught shooting a black bear in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Me either

Took this crappy ipotatoe pic earlier this year at Big National Park.  Missed the Sow and two cubs that already ducked into the brush.  Pretty damn cool, first time I saw a Bear(s) in the wild.  They obviously wanted nothing to due with me and hauled ass.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:28:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been hearing about bears in red river for a long time now. Haven't seen one yet though.

What's the deal with shooting them? Protected species in Texas or something?
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool. My brother has smallish black bears in his area in New England.Trash cans outside are not something to do if you can avoid it. They made a cage like you see for LP GAS containers to store trash before taking it to the dump. Kind of sucks when the cage is buried in snow though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've been hearing about bears in red river for a long time now. Haven't seen one yet though.

View Quote

I believe TPWD and their Mexican counterpart have been working really hard to reintroduce them. read a good article on it a couple years ago in their magazine . should be googleable.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are listed as a threatened species here in Texas and are VERY protected
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#11]
They are around.

I truly hope they make a comeback here.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Wasnt there a black bear cub spotted in Corinth a few years ago?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry about a few of our Arkansas bears paying you a visit.  They just wanted some BBQ and Whataburger.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#14]
They actually come in from Mexico, Oklahoma, and Louisiana too.  I do hope there is a thriving population again in my life time, certainly my kids.  I would think the Western part of the state would hold the best opportunity for them.  The Guadalupe Mountains are a lot more remote than East Texas - and fewer hunters.

Earl

Quoted:
Sorry about a few of our Arkansas bears paying you a visit.  They just wanted some BBQ and Whataburger.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wasnt there a black bear cub spotted in Corinth a few years ago?
View Quote

Someone stole that Black Bear cub from Arkansas and brought it to Texas. Kept it in a cage. Cub escaped and triggered an investigation. Turns out the guy had all kinds of weird stuff like fawns, alligators etc in cages/pens.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#16]
20 years ago, my sister was working as an intern for TP&W in Port Arthur. They were investigating reports of black bear/big foot sightings near the Louisiana border. At the time, they were still unconfirmed, but the theory was it was black bear from Louisiana expanding their territory.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#17]
In Fannin County on the far north entrance of the Bois d'arc unit of Caddo National grasslands they have signs that warn you bears can be mistaken for hogs. Shooting one will cost up to $10k and possible loss of hunting license.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#18]
So hypothetically, Im out working at my property and have to protect myself or family with lethal force, does the below still apply?

Hunters are encouraged to study their game carefully to avoid mistaking a bear for a feral hog or other legal game animal. It is against the law to kill a black bear in Texas, with penalties of up to $10,000, added civil restitution fines, jail time and loss of all hunting privileges. The black bear, Ursus americanus, is listed as threatened by the State of Texas.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So hypothetically, Im out working at my property and have to protect myself or family with lethal force, does the below still apply?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hunters are encouraged to study their game carefully to avoid mistaking a bear for a feral hog or other legal game animal. It is against the law to kill a black bear in Texas, with penalties of up to $10,000, added civil restitution fines, jail time and loss of all hunting privileges. The black bear, Ursus americanus, is listed as threatened by the State of Texas.

You would need to articulate that you were in fear of your life.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And they WILL investigate the scene hard.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I have family that lives in Bowie county, they hunt and have seen bears before.  I give it two weeks before a picture appears in one of their local papers with a happy hunter and his bear trophy
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

SSS

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:09:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have family that lives in Bowie county, they hunt and have seen bears before.  I give it two weeks before a picture appears in one of their local papers with a happy hunter and his bear trophy
View Quote

If that happens I wouldn't want to be in their shoes...... I talked to a ex cop once who worked in East Texas that claimed some east Texas idiot shot and killed a Bald Eagle and THEN contacted the local newspaper whom Ex cop told me paper did a front page news story on it with the idiot and another person holding it spread out by the wings. Still don't know if that actually happened as I have yet to be able to find anything on google.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:55:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm thinking you'd need to do more than just articulate your fear. The evidence would need to support that assertion.  

Which might be a tad hard to do unless the black bear was rabid or there is proof you were charged. Black bears are pretty damned timid around humans and tend to try to un-ass the area when they encounter a human. I guess you could get between a sow and her cubs, but sows usually won't take there cubs where they have seen humans before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top